Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go Nervous breakdown.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go Nervous breakdown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go Nervous breakdown. Reply with quote

I have just returned from an interesting journey along the M62,my intended final destination was Whitby on the Yorkshire coast.
All was well as we proceded along the motorway when suddenly the TT defaulte dto the TT logo screen.This happened 3 times,then the voice instruction began telling me to turn left every hundred yards or so.
This was a bit difficult considering there were no turn-offs for miles.
Then the voice told me I had arrived at my destination,whilst still some 30 odd miles short.
I have never had this occur previously.
The only thing I could think of was that when the device first malfunctioned I was was passing an area that had a great many Electricity Pylons both along and over the roadway.
Has anyone else had this happen. Embarassed
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a problem that quite a few of us have had. Several theories abound. One that crops up a lot is that the SD card is getting full and the unit runs out of working space.

I haven't had the problem myself since getting a bigger SD card. There could also have been some interference from the overheads, when the TTG was trying to get a signal lock.

Nobody seems to know for sure, and you're not alone. Perhaps V5 will solve the problem!! We live in hope.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right in that it could be one of several reasons causing the Tom Tom to reset itself. I developed a severe case of it myself recently. I know for certain that it was not a full SD card in my case as I was using a Kingston 512mb card at the time. If you are using an additional card, I may have some hope for you. After I had 4 resets in 30 miles I contacted Tom Tom support who told me to reformat my SD card and reload the files from their website. I did that and I have not had a problem in the last 4 journeys of 150+ miles. I quote their email below:

"1.Connect up the GO as shown here;

http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?Page=http%3A//support-uk.tomtom.com/cgibin/uk.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_alp.php%3FRN_Language%3D1

2.Format the card. On the PC open My Computer and the GO will be seen as an external drive .Hightlight it. Right mouse click and select Format.
3.Install the application as per the above link
4.Install the update Update September 2004 – TomTom GO 4.42
5.install the map(s)

6.Before removing the USB cable from the PC
Win ME or Win 2000 In my computer highlight the drive and select Eject.

Windows XP is not designed to follow the eject methodology in this way and it does not work properly. Instead, you must click the icon at the bottom right of the system tray that says SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE and click STOP on the mass storage device. Eject will NOT perform this function on many PCs. The TomTom GO of course must be turned on."

Good luck, I used a card reader with mine instead of connecting the Go but the principle is the same.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,I have decided to purchase a larger capacity Sd card.Hopefully this will help!
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the 128mb card - nothing since I upgraded to 512mb
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBoy

I just logged on to post a new thread called "TTG throws a wobbly" but looks like you have already started my thread.

We came back from Ireland on the ferry yesterday - first time I had tested the major roads of Europe map, which worked well, but its quite frustrating not having street level.

Then travelling back from Holyhead to Leeds, the TTG (again like you on the M62) decided to throw a wobbly, and we constantly putting its cursor in a field and then saying turn left, turn left, turn left etc onto no existant roads???

Not sure about the card fixing theory as I have a 512 and it happened to me?

cheers
rich
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it puts you in a field and keeps trying to get you to turn left or right, it's a map error. The road is not on the TTG map. It is not a system problem.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if thats the case then the update rate of TTG maps is a worry as I was on the long established M62 at the time, must of been built 50+ years ago!

The strange thing was although it was putting me in a field it did still seem to show the M62 on the map???
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the TTG has "lost" you it may be due to a lack of signal strength from the satellites. When this problem has been reported before, fitting an external aerial has solved it.
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are map problems.

The same happens on the M49 between M5/J18A and M4/J22, you are driving merrily along, then you are in a field with a request to turn right onto a road in the distance. On closer inspection of the TomTom map, there is a definate "bump" where it happens. If these are not reported, I assume they will never get altered.

The problem in reporting them is that you have to stop and take a GPS reading of when it begins and ends. If the Police catch you doing this, please have a ready excuss for stopping or see Alex Ferguson's lawyer. *s*
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had exactly the same problem at exactly the same spot on the same road many times... Question Question

Travelling From Leicester to Kettering on the A6 just south of Kibworth Harcourt 52.5249 N 0.96228W aproximatly....

The TTGO resets its directions and tells me to TURN AROUND and tries to navigate me back to my start point.... Arrow

Don't know why -- but it has happened at the same point on several occasions -- and now we look for it happening... 8O

after about a mile we just press navigate to home and it all works again .... Smile

SPOOKY Twisted Evil
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....also another problem I have found recently...

you are happily driving along a motorway, say the M1 and it takes you off at a junction far too early, across the roundabout and then back down onto the M1 at the same junction?

anyone else have this or know a reason why?

just downloaded v5 - ahh the joys of a qwery keybobard!

cheers

rich
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonypc100 wrote:
....also another problem I have found recently...

you are happily driving along a motorway, say the M1 and it takes you off at a junction far too early, across the roundabout and then back down onto the M1 at the same junction?

anyone else have this or know a reason why?

I have had this happen a few times and not just with TomTom. This is normally due to mapping errors and so should happen every time you drive past that way.

Sometimes the roads are not linked up properly, other times the speed profile of the slip road is higher than that of the main road so the software will calulate a faster route leaving the motorway.

Fortunately this doesnt happen very often.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: