Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - itinerary and crossing countries (from a newbie, long...) ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

itinerary and crossing countries (from a newbie, long...) ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DareDevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: itinerary and crossing countries (from a newbie, long...) ? Reply with quote

Hello All,

Brand new user of TomTom Navigator 3, which I have started to use with an iPAQ 5500. As user of Mapopolis on a Sony Clie, I am still trying to figure out what is different.

Since I travel by car across Europe from time to time, I need to plot a route spawning across different countries. Mapopolis lets you open as many maps as you want (depending on the available RAM and the so-called "population limit": you cannot open maps whose population exceeds 15 millions: e.g. you can't open France entirely, for example).

I understand that in TomTom you open one map a time, and deal with multi-countries trips either by using MRE or creating an itinerary. In my case MRE is out of question due to the path which not always involves major roads only, so itinerary is the key.

Now, I find the manual rather obscure with reference to itinerary, so I would like to cross-check whether my step-by-step approach is correct;

Let's say I have to go from country X to country Y and finally to country Z:

1. I choose my starting point in country X, adding it to the itinerary
2. Next, I choose a destination in country X and add it to the itinerary. This destination is basically a point on a motorway as close to the border with country Y as possible (which I know I will cross)
3. Next, I load the map of country Y and add another destination to the itinerary, which is again a point on the motorway as close to the border with country Z as possible (which I know I will cross)
4. Finally, I load the map of country Z and select the real destination there, add it to the itinerary

Now, even if I believe the approach makes sense, there are still a number of unanswered questions:

a) When I cross the a border, will TTN switch map automatically -or- I have to do it manually?

b) Regardless of how the following maps are loaded, do I have to manually open my itinerary and ask TTN to compute the path the next destination, or it will do it manually

c) Which starting point will be used by TTN to compute the "next" leg of the trip in another country (I suppose current GPS position)?

d) If not, should I add more intermediate waypoints ? For example, in step 3 should I *also* add a waypoint in country Y marking my "starting point in country Y" ?

Like I said, those may be stupid questions, but the manual does not really say anything about that, and I wouldn't like to experiment unexpected problems while I am driving, so I am trying to sort out all the issues in advance.

Thanks in advance for any hint,

DareDevil
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DareDevil

Last summer I used the Itineary feature, to good effect, for a trip through France and Italy. It can be a bit cumbersome to sort out, as you need to learn the 'thinking' behind the various features. It is well worth spending time playing and learning the system in advance.

This thread covers some of the points and gives a good overview of what can be achieved.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10840&highlight=itinieary

You do need to switch maps manually, but once routes have been "planned" using the Plan Button, the route should pick up automatically when you switch maps. Also, there is also a certain amount of overlap on some maps.

To try to answer your specific questions:

a) Manually

b) The itineary stays loaded even if you switch maps. You should have aleady "planned" the route with the Plan Button when you start the application before driving off. When you cross maps it should just pick up from your current position, in the same manner as if you exit the system without Clearing the Route when not using Itineary.

c) Correct as in b) above.

d) You can of course include an additional waypoint in Y, to ensure that your route is on the chosen road, but make sure that it is further down that road, as there are sometimes issues when the system 'believes' it has not passed through/by a particular waypoint. Sometimes tries to route you back. This is where the "Cancel Next Drive By feature" is useful.

The system is very flexible with its many alternatives and consequently can take time to interpret. IMHO I don't think that a manual would be of great help. You will need to spend time to get the best from this.

Hope this is of help

Regards

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
DareDevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnmar wrote:
Hello DareDevil
To try to answer your specific questions:

a) Manually

b) The itineary stays loaded even if you switch maps. You should have aleady "planned" the route with the Plan Button when you start the application before driving off. When you cross maps it should just pick up from your current position, in the same manner as if you exit the system without Clearing the Route when not using Itineary.

c) Correct as in b) above.

d) You can of course include an additional waypoint in Y, to ensure that your route is on the chosen road, but make sure that it is further down that road, as there are sometimes issues when the system 'believes' it has not passed through/by a particular waypoint. Sometimes tries to route you back. This is where the "Cancel Next Drive By feature" is useful.

Hello John,

Thanks for the answers. It begins to make sense... A couple of further questions:

1. IMHO the manual load of a new map could and should be avoided. If there is an itinerary pre-set, TTN could simply check if the next waypoint on the itinerary is located on another map and load it automatically (just a remark for TTN people, if they look at this forum :-))

2. I do not understand how TTN may pre-plan a certain leg of an itinerary if there is only a destination and not a starting point (only current GPS position). In my example, I can pre-plan the first leg (country X, from starting point to 1st border crossing), but everything else is dynamic:
- 2nd leg, country Y: from current GPS to 2nd border crossing
- 3rd leg, country Z: from current GPS to destination
So, as soon as I switch from country X to country Y, TTN should plan from "current GPS to 2nd border crossing", is that right?

I believe this can't be avoided even if I add an intermediate waypoint in Y, "right after the border": TTN could only pre-plan from "right after the border" " to "2nd border crossing", but still had to plan dynamically from "current GPS to right after the border" (and like you said, if I choose the waypoint "right after the border" in a wrong way, I could end up by having TTN forcing me to go back to "right after the border" and then to "2nd border crossing").

Is that correct? I am under the impression that in an itinerary you can only pre-plan the first leg, providing you have a fixed starting point and destination, otherwise, it will be dynamic (as in: load the itinerary --> plan).

DareDevil

a) load the map of Y
b) ask TTN to plan from "current GPS to 2nd border crossing"
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DareDevil wrote:

2. I do not understand how TTN may pre-plan a certain leg of an itinerary if there is only a destination and not a starting point (only current GPS position). In my example, I can pre-plan the first leg (country X, from starting point to 1st border crossing), but everything else is dynamic:
- 2nd leg, country Y: from current GPS to 2nd border crossing
- 3rd leg, country Z: from current GPS to destination
So, as soon as I switch from country X to country Y, TTN should plan from "current GPS to 2nd border crossing", is that right?

I believe this can't be avoided even if I add an intermediate waypoint in Y, "right after the border": TTN could only pre-plan from "right after the border" " to "2nd border crossing", but still had to plan dynamically from "current GPS to right after the border" (and like you said, if I choose the waypoint "right after the border" in a wrong way, I could end up by having TTN forcing me to go back to "right after the border" and then to "2nd border crossing").

Is that correct? I am under the impression that in an itinerary you can only pre-plan the first leg, providing you have a fixed starting point and destination, otherwise, it will be dynamic (as in: load the itinerary --> plan).

DareDevil

When you plan a route, it asks for the "location as the departure" or by keeping your stylus on the Map view, you can choose "Set as departure" I have used Itinerary very effectively across Europe. I tended to use MRE though to get me to the correct area and switch maps to get to the exact location if necessary. Be careful when planning a route - you need to ensure the waypoints are on the correct side of the dual carriageway.

Regarding your final question re planing the first leg, depends upon your definition of Leg, it cannot plan a route in a country if you do not have the map for that country active, and the waypoints will be greyed out with a line through them. (Unless you use MRE)

Regards,

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: