Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce TomTom Navigator 5 for PDAs and Palm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce TomTom Navigator 5 for PDAs and Palm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to back David up on what he's said in his previous email. People downloading and using any utility that supports 7 digit postcode support like DigiTools etc, that hasn't been authorised and paid for in terms of a per seat license is running the software illegally. DigiTools doesn't have any license with Ordnance Survey who are the keeps of the license, and anyone using the data or similar data without a paid license fee to Ordnance Survey are effectively pirating/stealing the data.

With regards to features, the Mobile and GO reviews we've posted so far should give you a good feel of which features are available. The Pocket PC and Palm review I am just rounding off today and will be released over the weekend, so you'll be able to get a better feel for what's included or not included (by way of not mentioning) in the new Navigator 5 review when it's posted.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to re-post but this might have been missed since it went to the last item on the first page.

they have the entire european map on the go 700. can someone ask if it is one big map or would it still be required to switch maps? if it is one map, would they make it available to PPCs as well?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2GB SD cards are coming - but they're not widely available yet. When I have seen mention of them, they've been extremely expensive and, as with early 1GB SD cards, there may well be significant performance and compatibility issues to overcome.

A detailed pan-Europe map would probably pose distribution (and software / hardware performance) issues - the map would be over 1GByte. DVD-ROM is one possible medium for distributing such a map, but, to date, TomTom have only issued their products on CD-ROM.

To add another two or three CD-ROMs to the set just for a very large map that few will have the memory to install is probably not cost-effective, and switching to DVD-ROM creates issues with people who still don't have DVD facilities on their systems.

It could be another year before TomTom feel that memory technology is to the point where such a large map is viable on all but units with hard discs such as the Go 700.

Let me stress - this post represents my personal feelings, and is not based on any specific information.

I suspect we've probably had all the information we're going to get from TomTom at CeBIT. Not least after the mistakes in the Navigator 5 press release relating to upgrades, I think that TomTom will wait until after CeBIT and everyone is back at their offices before any more press releases. I suspect hard information on price, packages, availability, upgrade deals, the final feature set and the maps to be offered may well take another few weeks to emerge.

David
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PocketGPS-CeBit wrote:
It is one big map so you will be able to route across borders and not require MRE (Major Roads of Europe).

In theory there's no reason why it couldn't be released. Perhaps TomTom may release it in the future. The problem is from what I understand is it's over a gig in size, so it can't be released easily on SD only CF and the amount of PDA's running CF are diminishing.

thanks! please express our desire for one big european map if you can. i must not be the only one who would want this.
S_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you go away for a week and it all happens!

What I want to know is this. As all these new products are based on the same common platform, might we find something similar to TTGo 700's 'mobile phone' functionality on TT Navi 5? That way I could use my iPaq as a handsfree device for my mobile phone, much like 700 owners can do to. Surely if it's all essentially the same code then it's doable, right?

Do the Cebit visitors have any more of an idea about this one please?

TIA

Simon.
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this one has been answered already but I've noticed in the Navigator 5 screenshots that the current speed isn't shown. being one of the more important pieces of information I presume that it's an option that can be switched on/off?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipfork wrote:
Apologies if this one has been answered already but I've noticed in the Navigator 5 screenshots that the current speed isn't shown. being one of the more important pieces of information I presume that it's an option that can be switched on/off?

Correct
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_D wrote:
Wow, you go away for a week and it all happens!

Sure does!

S_D wrote:
What I want to know is this. As all these new products are based on the same common platform, might we find something similar to TTGo 700's 'mobile phone' functionality on TT Navi 5? That way I could use my iPaq as a handsfree device for my mobile phone, much like 700 owners can do to. Surely if it's all essentially the same code then it's doable, right?

It's quite possible, but you'd have to bear in mind that Pocket PC speakers aren't that loud. We'll have to see what appears in the final product.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

S_D wrote:

It's quite possible, but you'd have to bear in mind that Pocket PC speakers aren't that loud. We'll have to see what appears in the final product.

but coupled with a powered mount with speakers, that should work well.
bob733
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect to the free upgrade for TomTom 2 and 3 users I am unsure if my TomTom Navigator 2004 qualifies for what I thought a free upgrade to 5. Is Navigator 2004 going to get the free update to Navigator 5. I just purchased 2004 and it will get here next Wednesday (16th).

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth, phones and Pocket PCs is quite a complex area.

I doubt we'll see new Go style Bluetooth hands free functionality built into Navigator 5 on the Pocket PC because such support would be dependent on the Bluetooth stack in the Pocket PC - something that, unlike on Go, is outside TomTom's control.

Some Pocket PCs do include the Audio Gateway profile so that they can drive headsets and hands free kits. I've not yet come across a Pocket PC that includes the Headset or Handsfree profile so that they can act as a headset or hands free kit, though by no means have I seen or used every Pocket PC on the market.

If such phone hands free functionality was to be added to a Pocket PC, I think the support will come directly from the built in Bluetooth software, not at the level of an application such as TomTom Navigator. The big problem, in my opinion, is not the speaker, but the microphone and noise cancellation (including stopping acoustic feedback 'howl' between the microphone and speaker).

The only way I can see this being done via Bluetooth is for a Pocket PC to use the Audio Gateway profile to connect to 'proper' Bluetooth audio hardware - such as a Bluetooth car kit, and the Headset or Handsfree profile to allow a phone to connect. The Pocket PC would then be able to mix the speaker audio appropriately, and pass the microphone audio from the car kit through to the phone.

If such a function was to be made available, I'd think it would better be done in a 'dual connection' Bluetooth car kit (where both the phone and the Pocket PC connect to the car kit, and the car kit works in the sort of way described in the previous paragraph). That way, if your Pocket PC crashes or isn't switched on, you don't lose your phone call or handsfree functionality, also you're not taking processor power from the Pocket PC for time critical audio functions.

There are problems with this in terms of how you implement radio muting - bearing in mind that some stereos will only pass audio from a car kit with the mute line asserted, and there's a delay in audio being passed. Pocket PCs don't have a radio mute output, and when using navigation software with this kind of setup, you could find yourself losing the beginning of each instruction. Fairly rapidly, this heads towards suggesting using a product such as those made by QuBiT for the Pocket PC, and whatever is appropriate for you for your phone usage.

Personally, I'm quite happy with my wired Nokia car kit. It charges my phone, is connected to the Vauxhall factory fit carphone installation - antenna, microphone and audio interface to the stereo - which even allows me to control the phone volume with my steering wheel controls. The audio output from my iPAQ hx4700 is loud enough for me unamplified.

I noticed that the new Nokia 3G phone announced at CeBIT appears to have a wired car kit option - important for those of us who use TomTom Traffic (or TomTom Plus as it's going to become) if Nokia have continued to release phones that only allow one Bluetooth connection at once.

David
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Car kits - going OT Reply with quote

A4ace,

I like the installation. I have just bought a 2004 A4B6 and was wondering how to fit the kit! Did you do the wiring yourself? The trim panels look pretty solid. I have a Symphony II fitted.

Brian
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Car kits - going OT Reply with quote

Countryman wrote:
A4ace,

I like the installation. I have just bought a 2004 A4B6 and was wondering how to fit the kit! Did you do the wiring yourself? The trim panels look pretty solid. I have a Symphony II fitted.

Brian

thanks brian. and congratulations on your a4! Thumbs Up

unfortunately, tomtom no longer supply the vent mount and the permanent power cable with their car kit. the bluetooth gps receiver cradle too, they no longer supply, which is really just too bad as it made their product one of a kind. the person who made the radio nav interface has postponed delivery of the next batch indefinitely. but qubit has the same product. you can find the review by pocketgpsworld here.

i had the entire setup installed by a professional. if you have further questions, don't hesitate to pm me so that we don't post unrelated topics in this thread.
jsheldon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will have to upgrade from my Ipaq 3630 - or not ?

Jonny
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Unfortunately we weren't able to get the PPC and Palm reviews released for today, but they'll be following by the end of the weekend.

Dave,

Any idea on when you'll be able to upload this?

Cheers

S

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: