Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Separate 12v power cable for Tomtom BTGPS for Palm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Separate 12v power cable for Tomtom BTGPS for Palm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgeller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Separate 12v power cable for Tomtom BTGPS for Palm Reply with quote

I am intending to buy a Palm Tungsten T3 and Tomtom Bluetooth. My car has two 12v cigarette lighter sockets - I would like to place the GPS receiver on the rear parcel shelf, as I have a 12v socket in the boot. The T3 would then mount on the dash.

Is it possible to obtain a separate power cable so the socket in the centre console powers the PDA (via the cradle/mount), and the socket in the boot powers the GPS receiver?

I have not found a way of sending Tomtom an e-mail!

Regards, Mike.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, these power supplies exist - basically they just transform the car's 12V to the 5V which the receiver / PDA needs. The only thing you need to make sure is to get the right plug, in the right diameter and with the Plus contact in the middle. Try ebay...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT Navigator for Paln comes with 2 power connectors, one to power the mount using a cigar lighter, the other one for direct wiring. Neither of these will fit the BT GPS directly.

The BT GPS will take power from a standard iPaq charger though. So any suitable one should work OK.
Wobbly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Contacting TomTom Reply with quote

Have you tried setting up an account in their support section? Then login using this account. Now go to the FAQ section and click on any question - it doesn't matter which. Now click on the 'send an email' option in the lefthand menu. The email can be on any subject / does not need to be related to the FAQ question selected. Don't expect a quick response - often I get a 'holding email' but then they usually reply within 5 days - sometimes its even next day!

Think this should work.

On the power cable front, why not use the Palm car kit that comes with TTN3 for Palm - this has a power lead to plug into the cigarette lighter adaptor which goes to the PDA holder. Then another lead goes from the holder to the GPS - so you can power both off one adaptor and its easier to switch off the GPS etc. My car has a heated front windscreen, but the GPS still gets a good signal on the front of the dash nearest the windscreen.

W.
clivearmitage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get the lead direct from the battery to the BlueTooth unit, but Tomtom told me they had stopped making it ;even though it was detailed as being in my box. I bought the iPaq car charger and it worked fine.

Only cost me £20 extra to get the lead which should have been included in my £200 purchase!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: