Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator Custom POIs... nearly there!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator Custom POIs... nearly there!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomTomTim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone made any further progress with a way of extracting and copying favourites between xxx.cfg.pdb files?

I tried using PAR but it is really hit and miss - not really a practical proposition if you are a heavy user...

All power to the programmatically gifted Smile
poshfrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Quick update: I can extract all the categories, and seem to be able to retrieve POIs from each category file. Still need to do the b-tree decoding of the POI descriptions and need to fix the recursive calls. Once that is done and all POIs are extractable we'll need to focus on the reverse - how to pack the stuff back together.

How are you getting on with this? It looked like you were getting close to having something?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am able to compile a working POI.DAT file. What is holding us back is the legalese - effectively you have to COMPLETELY REPLACE the existing POI.DAT file to stay compliant with TomTom's licence small print. This does limit the usefulness of this approach quite a bit - basically we will have to prove for each single POI that we include that it is not copyrighted elsewhere.

It's about time for a POI Wiki !!!

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TomTomTim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if I've got confused as this thread has progressed from Falkien's orignial post: To start with it looked as though we were talking about editing the [map-name].cfg.pdb file that is used to store favourites so that they could be copied from one [map-name].cfg.pdb to an overlapping map (for example: from GB_Navigator.cfg.pdb to Major_Roads_of_Europe.cfg.pdb).

In the openng posting, Falkien was using PAR to do this - which shows commendable dedication and patience but PAR can hardly be descibed as having a 'user-friendly interface'. I tried to replicate Falkien's work and found it was very time-comsuming and error-prone (though that could just be me Wink) - either way, I feel I am unlikely to use PAR when I am about to hop on my bike to go to France - somehow other things seem to take precidence...

I was hoping that one of the talented coders reading this list might have been able to figure out how to make a GUI that would display the favourites stored in any given [map-name].cfg.pdb file and allow them to be edited or copied to another [map-name].cfg.pdb.

Could someone put me right on this - are there two ideas here or is POI.DAT another way of handling the favourites that are stored in map-specific files?

TTTim
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it's two separate "projects"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TomTomTim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Lutz Smile

Has anyone made any headway on a GUI for the [mapname].cfg.pdb favourites issue? Perhaps due to the predominance of PocketPC versions there is less interest or fewer deveopers?

TTTim
poshfrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Lutz.

Are you able to share any of the coding (VBA) you have done so that I can make my own updates of POI.DAT (keeping within the legal boundaries as I understand them)?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly but if you send me your POI groups I can compile a sample POI.DAT for you.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Marc_J
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. bit of a shame this thread seemed to hit a dead-end in March. I only just found it but it's the closest I've come to an answer.

Having only just received my TomTom+iPAQ bundle yesterday, I've only scratched the surface with its use and features. But one thing that bugs me is the inability to add POI's to an existing category.

So my curious mind set about locating what must be the existing POI database; poi.dat. (Since going through these forums I've confirmed this to be the case). But what next? Is it editable?

I hope someone a little (or a lot) more programme-minded than I is able to offer a solution!!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the fineprint in your TomTom contract. It prohibits tampering with the existing map data. The only legal way to do this is to completely replace the existing POI.DAT with your own creation.

That's also the reason why we don't give the code out for this part.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TomTomTim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before this thread grinds to a halt again, I’d like to point-out that it started with a discussion of the location and manipulation of the user-defined favourites that are stored on a 'map-by-map' basis. Surely this is not the original map data as it is user-defined?

I share the thread originator’s (Falkien) frustration that when I switch to the 'Major Roads of Western Europe' map, all my favourites from the specific country are unavailable and of course, any favourites recorded on the 'Major Roads of Western Europe' map are unavailable when I switch back to the country-specific map.

With POIEdit and the ability to create our own POI categories, I find I am less concerned about POIs but more so about favourites. My current strategy is to create custom POI categories to replace my favourites but this does seem like a bit of a kludge and has limitations. A POIEdit-type program for favourites would be very useful.

I have ordered but not yet received my upgrade to TTN5, so perhaps this issue will be sorted-out in that and we won't have to worry about it further. Until then, I'd be interested to learn whether anyone has been able to make any further headway on manipulation of <map_name>.cfg files - or indeed if these are also subject to copyright restrictions that preclude management of the user-defined favourites stored within.

TTT
Hockeyfreak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone mind if I revive this topic for an idea that I have? I have TT5, and I've been trying to look for a way to create POI's from lat/long coordinates, due to the limitations of TT5 of only using addresses, and the poor USA coverage that doesn't seem to be worrying TomTom. My neighborhood was built over 5 years ago, but TT5 still shows it as an open, blank space. I've downloaded POI edit and converted addresses to lat/longs, and loaded it and it worked fine. My problem is, I'm thinking about trying out geocaching, and also when I'm at a location I want to make a POI for that is not on the map, I don't want to have to write down the lat/long, run to my desktop, add the POI, transfer it with card export, and then use it.

I've looked at other programs that simply show coordinates and other data to see if any let you create and save POIs as ov2 files, but none exist. Several are very close, such as Compass, http://www.gpspilot.com/products/compass.shtml, or http://www.cetusgps.dk/, but none have a save feature. PPC TT5 users have a very good option at http://www.navigating.de/TomTom_en/POI/Index.htm, but no Palm based solutions.

What would be great would be a program like "Compass", with an option to open existing .ov2 files stored on the SD card in the map directory, and save the existing location as a POI, or create a new ov2 file. Any Palm programmers out there want to try to tackle this one?? I'm a good beta tester, but have never had the time to learn programming.

Hope someone thinks this is possible. I think cetus is an open source program, but I may be mistaken.

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can lend you a hand with the decoding/encoding algorithm of (non-optimized) OV2 files. But I am not (yet) a Palm programmer.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: code lesson required Reply with quote

Having major difficulty in running extract_ttpoi

in the command prompt i type: start extract_ttpoi -f poi.dat c:

nothing happens mind you i dont know perl
all files are in the c: drive any ideas what to type may be a start thanks...

This is a very interesting subject...me thinks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: