Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Activesync problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Activesync problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redmax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Activesync problem Reply with quote

I cannot understand whats gone wrong:
I have been using my 2210 with my Acer laptop for well over a year now without problems. I need to sync my Outlook data every day due to work.
The other day i put it in the cradle as usual but it just hung at "looking for changes" and then decided it "could not recognise the hardware".

I now cannot get the PDA to sync with my work laptop at all.
I Know it isn't the cradle or the PDA because I created a new partnership with my Sony laptop and it worked straight away.
I have also tried the following to no avail:
Upgraded to 3.8
Deleted the partnership and created new
Hard reset the PDA and used my Sprite backup to renew the PDA in case of corruption to a file.
Checked all the usb ports by plugging other periphals in(which work fine).

What is going on?

Has anyone any advice as this is becoming a real problem due to my work requirements.
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Mark
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello redmax

This may be of some help, or may be not, but i had a similar problem with ActiveSync just totally ignoring my PDA, i like you tired all sorts of options trying to get it to work, the bottom line is i just did a Restore point back to when i know it was working and that worked, but you said you have updated to 3.8, i would remove that and then try a restore.

Hope that will work for you.
redmax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
I tried the restore as suggested but it is exactly the same.

I seem to get to the same stage everytime:

"Looking for changes" then "synchronization error".
Activesync then just goes back to sleep.

Its crazy really because I can click "explore" and see all my files and folders on the pda so I know its connected.

I have tried running activesync from the pda but I get an error message:
"unable to connect: you have no modem enteries created and no network card present"

Whats all that about?

Really fed up :x
purequo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Medion 95000 CRASHED my Activesync gone haywire Reply with quote

When my Medion 95000 crashed I reset it and everything was ok until I tried to reconnect the PDA cradle to my PC

I am running Windows 2000
Active sync 3.7.1

I can download the software install it per instructions and when the PDA hits the cradle I get a message

WCSCOMM.EXE generated errors and windows is closing the program down.

I have uninstalled it & re-installed it
I have uninstalled it and re-installed 3.6 tried it same again in fact I get the same message from 3.5-3.8 uninstalling it completely and shutting down everytime.

The perculiar thing is if I install 3.1 it connects without a problem apart from me being told to upgrade....

Therefore I dont understand why can it work on 3.1 but nothing higher bearing in mind it worked on 3.7.1 when I first got it until the PDA crashed.

Ive now installed completely the same software at work using 3.7.1 and what joy it works so I am completely lost why it wont work at home does this me a re-format of the home computer ? surely not

You may say well use your works computer but I cannot access the internet to download and sync the PIOs I want I have to do it manually and you know how painful that can be.

So if anyone has any suggestions regarding getting my PDA and home computer to talk again I would be grateful
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello purequo

Have you changed any Firewall or AntiVirus settings, this usually upsets ActiveSync, can you try a Restore point to when the software was OK, I am sure that there is a cure for this problem without having to format your HD.

Unless I am mistaken, the name is wcescomm.exe, you missed the e out, not that that matters.

Did you remove the cradle from the USB port when you tried re-installing ActiveSync, this can make a difference, if you remove it, restart windows, then try a new install.

Sorry but that's all the information I have got, there is a ActiveSync Troubleshooter via the Help tab on ActiveSync, which takes you to Microsoft's web site, this should be the link, if this link does not work then use the ActiveSync Help menu.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fpocketpc%2Ftshoot%2Factivesync%2Fdefault.asp
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't no expert but i guess your PC is not being recognised for some reason or other.

If I were in the same situation (standard disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for your device) then:
1 - make a copy of all your data on PC using Windows Explorer

2 - if it is mission critical data make another copy using a card reader

3 - once you have completed 1 & 2 make a new sync between PC & PPC

I am at device #5 with my one and only PPC I don't really know why I am at device #5 as I have only the one device but some installs and ROM upgrades seem to trigger an alert along the lines of: this aint the same device - gosh it must be another one - oh well in that case I aint gonna sync with it until we have been formally introduced

Of course that conversation seems to happen at machine level

4 - after making a new sync between PC & PPC make sure that they can talk together via the sync wire & software
redmax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the above from pocketgps, I still haven't solved my problem of the original post but have been using the specific activesync forum on the M$ newsgroups.

There is a fella who answers all queries and is very helpful although he is yet to sort my issue.

I sent him a log of all activesync activity and he suspects a TCP/IP issue which could be caused by Windows itself.

Currently working through some suggested actions including using a programme called Winsockfix whcih resets all TCP/IP settings.

will keep you informed if successful but reccomend the sitehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/communities/pocketpc/newsgroups.mspx

Cheers Wink
purequo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Thanks for your advice Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Hello purequo

Have you changed any Firewall or AntiVirus settings, this usually upsets ActiveSync, can you try a Restore point to when the software was OK, I am sure that there is a cure for this problem without having to format your HD.

Ive uninstalled both firewall {zone alarm} and antivirus {AVG} I even unistalled the USB hub and re-installed it.

Unless I am mistaken, the name is wcescomm.exe, you missed the e out, not that that matters.

Did you remove the cradle from the USB port when you tried re-installing ActiveSync, this can make a difference, if you remove it, restart windows, then try a new install.

Yes having read the instructions like I cant understand 3.1 will work anything avbove will not

Sorry but that's all the information I have got, there is a ActiveSync Troubleshooter via the Help tab on ActiveSync, which takes you to Microsoft's web site, this should be the link, if this link does not work then use the ActiveSync Help menu.

Many thanks to you and the rest of the replies I will post if I have any success and how it was cured because I wont give up until its completed

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fpocketpc%2Ftshoot%2Factivesync%2Fdefault.asp
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throwing my two pennies worth in here, I have always believed that active sync should not be done via a USB hub, instead direct into a USB port on the computer. Have you tried a direct sync?. Also I have a problem with Active sync via USB which turns out to be the USB lead from the cradle, and I have to sync via the parallel lead instead. It may be worth checking this.
eaglestock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: I fixed mine Reply with quote

I was having the same problem of it "looking for changes" and then never syncing. Sometimes it would just keep repeating that process over and over. Other times it would time out with the error message. What I did was turn off all the sync items (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Inbox, Favorites, Files) and turned them back on one at a time. What killed it for me was the Favorites. Everytime I turned it off things synced fine, turned it on and it would bomb. Mine quit working immediately after my last MS Hotfix so I'm sure that had something to do with it. I don't use Internet Explorer (switched to Firefox long time ago) so its no big deal for me to leave it off. Message me if this fixes anyone else's problem.

John Herron
john (at) eaglestock (dot) com
Or view my eagle photos at:
http://www.eaglestock.com/eagle.htm
CharlieHo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: ActiveSync Problems Synchronizing Reply with quote

I have had the same problem. However after making sure that the Active Sync programsWCESmgr.exe, wcescomm.exe and CEappMgr.exe all had FULL Access in my firewall (McAfee) all was OK after uninstalling ActiveSync and reinstalling it with a restart prior to connecting the PDA (very important the last bit).

Charlie

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: