Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie looking for advise on either Mio 168 or PDA/GPS Combo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie looking for advise on either Mio 168 or PDA/GPS Combo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Newbie looking for advise on either Mio 168 or PDA/GPS Combo Reply with quote

I am looking at buying a PDA with GPS for both routing whilst driving (most likely Tom Tom 3 with Speedcamera detection using CheckPoint) and when walking (Memory Map Ordanance Survey Maps) whilst I am pretty certain I know which software I want, I am confused with the choice of PDA.

The Mitac Mio 168 with built in GPS seems very good value and convenient, are there any other PDA`s with built in GPS, or are there likely to be any within the next month or so?, I wont be buying until April / May, so I can wait if a newer model is coming out that will have better features.

I dont think the WiFi is a big issue for me, I dont use Outlook for calendar or contacts, just outlook express, I also wont be using it for browsing the net, so that isnt a consideration for me. However, I want a Windows based machine, rather than palm.

I am sure this has been covered many times before, I DID a search and found several similar comments but most seem to want to use the PDA for more than simple routing / mapping.

Thanks,

Nigel.
berghaus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Mio 168 Reply with quote

Hi Nigel

I use the Mio 168 with Tom Tom 3 amd memory Map, and take it from me it works very very well.

You will need Min. 256 SD card to put the whole UK Tom Tom map + you can still get quite a few Memory Map maps on as well, I have both terrain and aerial views on, (Deadly accurate) and both Tom Tom and Memory Map work flawlessly and clear and bright, and the voice instructions are well loud enough, And the Pocket GPS Speed camera daterbase works loud and A1.

I used to have an Ipaq 3950, the Mio168 is far better, and its inbuilt GPS is Quick, it came with an external GPS as well, but I never need to use it, just buy one you won't regret it, I even get 5 Saterlites in my kitchen, I would highly recomend.

Rob
mac_the_dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Mio 168 for two weeks now. I still take a different route home each day just to play with it! Have never had to use the external GPS receiver, the "onboard" one is quite sufficient..

In addition to the GPS, the pocket PC & software are a real bonus. Everything in one package.

Go ahead, I have mine with AA Navigator software - The inbuilt loadspeaker is great, even with the radio on.

:D
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nigel,

I use a Medion 95000 (re-branded Mio168) with Navigon gps software and POI-Warner for the safety Camera poi's, this works very well, and as Rob said in the post above the display is clear and bright, again I am able to get a sat lock inside my house and have never used the external aerial/receiver.

To have more detailed look at my system just click the link at the bottom of this post, I know you will be using different software but it will give you an idea of what the Mio168 is like.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nigel,

Just had a thought, if you are not going to buy this unit or any other at this time, TomTom may be releasing a new version of there gps software in April/May, so I would see how that compares to there current version before buying if you going to go this route.
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW fast replies !!!

Thanks guys, you have backed up my initial thoughts. Looks like the Mio is the way to go.

I will wait until April - Finances wont allow before then, and I`ll see what version of Tom Tom is about then.

Again, thank you for reply so promptly.

Nigel.
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve just seen the Mio 268 for sale for £299, it looks similar to the 168, apart from an integrated GPS aerial, that appeals to me, looks a little more robust and less likely to get broken off, I`ll wait until it gets reviewed on this site before I proceed.

I am assuming it will still be able to have TomTom and Memory Map installed?
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, just found this quote in a review "WindowsCE 4.2 without the PocketPC "layer" (Excel, PIE, Word, etc...)"

I assume that means I can`t install TomTom, POI-Sync for speed camera database and Memory Map for when I am walking?

Shame, I really liked the look of the integrated GPS Antenna too. Sad
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nigel

I think that the new Mitac Mio268 / 269 are both dedicated GPS systems, I know it is sometimes possible to hack in to these systems so that you can run other software on them, but I think that could be more trouble than it's worth.
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAME. they appeared to address my only concern regarding the 168, thats the flip up antenna.

guess i`ll either wait for something similar to the 268 but not dedicated to arrive or get the 168.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also looking at the Mio 268.

Can the Navman iCN510 accept the speed camera software?

If not, which iPAQ is the choice today?

Is the 2210 still the buiseness? I don't need Wi-Fi.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just read the review that says you can.
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know of an alternative to the 268, but that have windows running, ie pocket word, excel, so i can run memory map etc?

or should I post another topic?
n16ens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel,
Don't worry about the flip up antenna on the 168, I hardly ever flip mine out, it seems to work just fine all the time, in or out.

Cheers

N16E
Brodit Active Mount
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean it works when closed? I didnt know that

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: