Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holiday Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troldahlian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Holiday Problem Reply with quote

I do not travel abroad often - once or twice a year on holiday, usually to Europe once and the USA once. I always drive when I get there. It strikes me that the TTG would be ideal for these occasions as I am prone to get lost a lot!

However it is going to be very expensive to purchase all of the European detailed maps, and a USA detailed map (I only really need Florida and California).

Any suggestions out there, or am I doomed to have to pay the several hundred pounds for maps which will be barely used and hopelessly outdated when I eventually get around to using them for a second time?

Thanks for the help (if any ) in advance.

Trol
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Holiday Problem Reply with quote

Troldahlian wrote:

Any suggestions out there, or am I doomed to have to pay the several hundred pounds for maps which will be barely used and hopelessly outdated when I eventually get around to using them for a second time?

Thanks for the help (if any ) in advance.

Trol

I'm sorry to say, " Your Doomed ". You either pay for the maps, or stay as you are.

OR, you could revert back to a Paper map once your there.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Holiday Problem Reply with quote

Troldahlian wrote:
I do not travel abroad often - once or twice a year on holiday, usually to Europe once and the USA once. I always drive when I get there. It strikes me that the TTG would be ideal for these occasions as I am prone to get lost a lot!

However it is going to be very expensive to purchase all of the European detailed maps, and a USA detailed map (I only really need Florida and California).

I don't know about the US, but you get to most places in Europe by using MRE (the Major Roads of Europe maps supplied on the UK CD). This won't have street level detail - but you can get to each town or village without too much trouble. However, not all places are named on the map even though the roads which go there are shown. If you know in advance where you want to go, you can browse to each place on the map - with a paper map for reference - and create a POI for each place. You can then navigate to the POI.

Roger
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Holiday Problem Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
If you know in advance where you want to go, you can browse to each place on the map - with a paper map for reference - and create a POI for each place. You can then navigate to the POI.

Roger

Are you sure this would work?
My understanding is that if the TomTom MRE map doesn't have a detailed road to that POI, the TomTom won't be able to give instructions. The satellite system reads your position in relation to the map inside your TTG, not in relation to the actual road you're driving on.

Charles
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most car rental companies in the states offer GPS nav with their cars... for a few extra $$$$ of course.

Calculate the cost of that per rental vs. the one-off cost of shelling out for the maps. They won't be that out of date in a few years I wouldn't think.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Holiday Problem Reply with quote

charlesn wrote:

Are you sure this would work?
My understanding is that if the TomTom MRE map doesn't have a detailed road to that POI, the TomTom won't be able to give instructions.

Yes it will work. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.

TTG can only navigate along roads it knows about, but MRE is sometimes lacking in place names. Let me quote a real life example. On the UK bit of MRE, there's no reference to Warminster - so you can't select it as a destination to navigate to. However, the roads which serve it ARE there. So if you create a POI called Warminster at the intersection of the A36 and A350, you can then navigate to it.

Roger
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MRE map seems to be very poor in the UK.

BUT in the rest of Europe there are lots of small obscure village names stored in the database that you can type in and navigate to. These names do not appear on the map but the route exists and the destination is in the right place. The route just appears on the screen as stopping along a road in the middle of nowhere.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
The MRE map seems to be very poor in the UK.

BUT in the rest of Europe there are lots of small obscure village names stored in the database that you can type in and navigate to.

It would still be a wise precaution to plan your journeys in advance - and make sure that it knows about all the places you want to visit, and create POIs for them if it doesn't.

Roger
Troldahlian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

You know, I hadn't thought about hiring a car with sat nav. That makes much more sense I think!!

Cheers

Trol

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: