Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - only 40 ov2 files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

only 40 ov2 files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Habu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: only 40 ov2 files Reply with quote

I've only recently realised that I can only have up to 40 ov2 files Embarassed As the latest speed camera updates included loads of ov2 files I've had to delete lots of my own POI's (and thus ov2 files) to get the update to show on my TTG. I've got a 512 SD card but is there a way of adding POIs without going over the 40 limit as I'm on 39 now?

cheers

Habu
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 40 PoI groups. Can you combine some into one group?
Habu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
It's 40 PoI groups. Can you combine some into one group?

Yes, that makes sense, cheers.
Habu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to look at combining some POI's into a Group today. Is it simply a case of creating a new folder on the GB map folder and dragging, say, all my fast food restaurants into it? I somehow think it's not that straightforward. Confused Ideally, what I'd like to do is have a POI Food Group and within that there are POI catergories for Maccy D, KFC, Frankie & Benny, Little Chef, etc.

Can anyone offer me an idiots guide to doing this?

cheers

Habu
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you'd have to do is create Food.ov2 (and an associated Food.bmp). What I'd do for the contents is extract the various POIs you want to join together using something like POIEdit. I'd then prefix all the points in each category with a suitable prefix - such as McD for McDonalds. You then join all the files together and turn them into an ov2 using POIEdit or similar.

David
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Personally I have all the new gatsos in speed groups(separate files) but have used the old mobile speed cam warnings from the old group which is just one file.

I think that the mobile ones are not that important as the speed trap is not usually there anyhow so just a basic "mobile" warning will do.
This frees up about 5 POIs.

What I want to know is why is it 40? Can someone who is cleverer out there figure this out?

Mark
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bestyman wrote:

What I want to know is why is it 40?

I believe that the total number of POI's, including those built in, is 99. This figure is probably limited by a 2 byte register (giving a max. of 99).

I've seen somewhere that there are 59 POI's already in TTG. This leaves the magic figure of 40.

But then again I stand to be corrected! 'Rolling Eyes'

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
navigone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I too hit the limit problem, where you can only see the first X number of OV2 POI's - the rest of your uploaded OV2 files cannot be seen. In some respects though, if you have as many as that then you are going to struggle to wade through them all anyway, and it seems like you need a POI for your POI's.

I've created a piece of software that allows you to group your OV2 files into a category and then "compile" them into a single OV2 for that category name - e.g.

Food.ov2
- kfc.ov2
- mcdonalds.ov2
- burgerking.ov2

But inside the merged OV2 file the original ov2 name is prefixed to the category - e.g.:

Category: food
- KFC: 1.2 miles [A100]
- McDonalds: 1.5 miles [A1]
- Burger King: 2.0 miles [No name]

The software uses the publicly available MAKEOV2 and DUMPOV2 utilities to ensure that the files can be extracted and created correctly.

I'm at a bit of a cross roads where I'm trying to decide if I want to pull down the XML files and simplify that whole interface too. I don't like the way POIEdit works personally, although it is great that we have it and that it does what it does. I would like it all under one roof.

If you can merge all the UK POI files into less than 10 categories then perhaps we could just automate the merge process and provide a webpage for downloading the compiled categories? That way you wouldn't even need to use any software. Maybe the POI XML files themselves could be tailored slightly to include a universally agreed category name? It would make sense to exploit the already created XML architecture. Who owns the XML for the uk stuff? Is it pocketgps?

Screenshot:

This software isn't a release yet, but if you want to beta test it and you are comfortable copying files to directories etc. then let me know. I'm keen for feedback/suggestions at this stage also.

Cheers
Richard
MrPloppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds fantastic - I'd be a beta tester - how can I get a copy?

Also, as I'm a developer too, would be interested in knowing which language / development IDE you used too.

Cheers.

MrPloppy.
navigone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me your email address and I will send it to you. I'd be keen for your feedback at this early stage in the game.

It is developed in VC6/MFC - do you code VC?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: