Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 2 Activation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 2 Activation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 2 Activation Reply with quote

AFAIK it uses the hardware device id or something similar worked out from this on the Pocket PC and stores this code on the PC. It doesn't do any serialization on the PC end.
aero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 2 Activation Reply with quote

How does it know what device it is installing to? I originally installed the software on my laptop (which presumably stores a code?), but re-installed the software the following 3 times using my pc. How did TomTom know which device I was installing to? Does Activesync download info from my iPAQ and store it? I don't think I had my iPAQ connected to my PC when I went online to get the activation code via ttcode.com.

This hurts my head!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

When you upgrade the ROM your Pocket PC you wlil still have the same device id, so in theory you should be able to do as many reinstalls as you want to the same device. It only stops you if you are installing to another device.
aero
Regular Visitor

I've been to ttcode.com 3 times to reactivate my software (long story - changing ROM on iPAQ 3), and each time it has allowed me to reactivate and all in the same day!

Presumably my system has remembered something?
Peter
Occasional Visitor

TTom Support gets better

After 48 hours they responded by sending me a new product code which generated a new activation code. HOWEVER - all I get is an error message 'CODE NOT VALID IN GREAT BRITAIN'.
brianhill_uk
Occasional Visitor

This is an excellent and extremley helpful forum - thanks especially to the pocketgps staff who clearly know their onions!!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I'd also strongly recommend Sprite Software s Pocket Backup.
rong
Occasional Visitor

I should look at all forum postings! Checked the registry on my PC and found activation code, now back up and running - phew!

Hooray for the forum and boo hoo for TomTom support.
rong
Occasional Visitor

My iPAQ's battery ran down last week and I've therefore had to re-install my software. I downloaded the latest version of Navigator and installed it on the iPAQ but it is telling me that I need to activate it (not what it says on TomTom's web page). My problem is that I cannot find the product number anywhere to enable me to get the activation code and, despite numerous emails, I have received no help from TomTom.

According to previous messages in this forum TomTom keep all numbers for all activation codes issued, how do I retrieve mine?
kevwright
Occasional Visitor

My first post so bear with me :-)

Just thought I would put in my experience with TomTom activation system.

Bought my first system Wednesday, and all installed fine. Ipaq 2210 (what a lovely PPC), TT BT Wireless GPS, and TTN2.

Started playing with the Ipaq and noticed a dead pixel, and it was right on the tip of the arrow in Navigator screen :-)

Now I don't know about anyone else, but dead pixels, dust under screen all drive me NUTS, so I went out right away and bought another Ipaq 2210 from the local PC World.

Emailed TomTom (and Dave here, I wonder if he "had a word") quite late last night and recieved a reply from them at about 1pm today simply giving me the new code :-)

Only downside is that they have counted this as my 2nd activation and I can not use a new machine for another 184 days. Now my view is that legally, if I can prove a genuine case for changing my PPC within that timeframe, they will have to give me another code anyway. To be fair, they even say in the FAQ that they will do this.

All in all, I like TomTom. I am still amazed by the package and can't stop driving around going the wrong way just to see what she says next. I do wish that these software houses had the balls to put something like "I said turn around you deaf b***stard" in every now and then <g>

Only problem is, I want to try Co-Pilot 4 Live and SmartST Pro now :-)

Kev

Kev
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Hi TB,

TomTomNav.axs.

Yes it is the Activation Code. It doesn't hold the Device or Product Codes.

Tom.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

catken96

On my iPaq, I have a TomtomNavigator.axs file in the "My Documents" folder, which I appears to be some sort of activation code. Do you have a similar file and if so, could you possibly check if this is the same as the code held in the registry?

Cheers

catken96
Occasional Visitor

If you didn't make a note of your Activation Code here's where to find it, but be careful. Don't mess around in here, if you don't know what you're doing!!!!

On your Desktop PC:-

Click "Start"

Click "Run"

Type "regedit" (no quotes)

Click "OK"

Click "+ HKEY_CURRENT_USER"

Click "+ Software"

Click "+ TomTom"

Click "+ Setup"

Click "+ Ttn2gb"

Click "ActCodes"

In the righthand pane you will see:-

Activation Code, Device Code, Product Code. Product code is the one inside the CD-Rom. Make a note of the first two codes.

Click "- Software"

Click "- HKEY_CURRENT_USER"       and close Registry Editor.

Tom.

ottopop
Occasional Visitor

I hope that you only need to activate the maps with the software cd's. It would be crazy to activate 8 separate cds...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

This is a known issue with Jornada's in which the device ID changes and consequently TT thinks it's a new device. TomTom are aware of this issue but you will need to contact them directly for a solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: