Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 3 and Navman GPS4410
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 3 and Navman GPS4410

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stingray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 3 and Navman GPS4410 Reply with quote

About 6 months ago I bought an HP 2210 with Navman software and a bluetooth GPS 4410 receiver. It all works fine, but I would like to try out the traffic cameras database an this is of course not compatible with the Navman SmartST V2 software.

I loaded Tom Tom v3 onto my pocket PC and selected the Navman 100 from the list of bluetooth receivers on Com 8 (Navman 4410 is not listed). The Navman software was alos on the pocket PC, but not running of course. After about 3 minutes the connection with Tom Tom dropped out. Since then I have tried several other receiver settings and each time the connections drops after a couple of minutes.

In fear of damaging the receiver I have abandoned any further attempts. I realise that Tom Tom 3 does not work very happily with the HP 2210, but I am wondering if there is an incompatibility issue with the 4410 GPS receiver.

Can somebody recommend a GPS receiver that is on the list that will work with my Navman 4410?

Many thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have already selected the right receiver - Standard NMEA 38400 on COM8

You may have a problem with the TomTom GPS driver version, or with the iPAQ 2210 ROM version - please check both.

It is not easily possible to harm a GPS receiver from software. If you think your receiver is broken then you should first drain its battery, recharge it, and see if it works again.

What software can do is reprogram the receiver. You may want to use Crux_View or similiar to re-establish the required NMEA sequences that may have been switched off by your attempts to select other drivers in the TomTom GPS dropdown. (Try to avoid that in the future)

How many custom POIs have you loaded?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Stingray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responxse. I am not quite sure if I explained it very well.

All I wanted to do was to try out Tom Tom with the Navman 4410 GPS receiver. This did not work because the connection with the GPS receiver dropped out all the time, even after trying several different GPS receivers from the Tom Tom GPS list. I have uninstalled Tom Tom and Navman works fine with the HP 2210. There is no damage and nothing got corrupted.

I have checked and have the latest ROM 1.10. I have no idea what version GPS Tom Tom driver I would have had.

If there is no easy answer I think it might be best to leave things as they are ands stick with Navman.

Thanks
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you want to do is add camera alerts, try Travel-i out.
I used it with SmartSTv2 (4410 package) on the 2210 and it worked a treat.

Just search for travel-i in the forums for more information or visit Travel-i.co.uk
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stingray, set the port to NMEA 0183v2 57600, Bluetooth Serial Port COM8
but make sure you load the maps onto the CF card (if you've got one). I had all sorts of lockups using the SD card on the same equipment but it works fine on a CF card. I would certainly have a look at TomTom as the routing is much better IMO so i will be waiting to see what V4 is like before upgrading to SmartST V3.

HP2210 1.10, Navman 4410, TomTom 3.03
Stingray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sfi1

This solutions worked. I have to say that although Tom Tom seems much more flexible and adaptable, the interface from Navman is more user friendly.

Regards :P
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the navigator screen on the Navman myself but prefer the TOMTOM interface as the large buttons of TT makes it much easier to use while driving whereas the buttons on the Navman are too small. Have you compared the routing capabilities yet ?
Stingray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sfi1

I need some more time to evaluate how Tom Tom performs in terms of routing. My experience with Navman is fairly good, although once or twice I was sent down some unsuitable roads when selecting the shortest route option (which is part of the fun having a GPS). I noticed that the shortest routing option with Navman is not always the shortest in reality. The POI coverage is very poor compared with the Garmin StreetPiplot III, which I had previously and with TT this is much more open of course. I am not too bothered about it, but the traffic camera database with checkpoint is a great feature in TT. The screen colouring/display with Navman looks very professional, but is not as easy to read as with TT. I much prefer the voice instructions on TT. I purchased Navman at the time due to the European map coverage and the fact that the GPS receiver runs on standard batteries. I spend a lot of time on the road and it will be fun comparing the two.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally had a navman 3000, then upgraded to V1.91 of smarst then onto V2 (GPS4410) also because of the european maps and cross country routing.
I also liked the receiver because of the standard batteries, it's a shame they couldn't have squeezed in AA's instead of AAA. As you've said it has always had a tendency to take you off motorways at junctions only to bring you straight back on or route you through towns when its clearly better to continue on the motorways or main roads. I'd be interested to see what experiences you have in europe as i've had these problems so many times and been left stranded, unable to go forward as the road is not passable and had to figure out how to get back to a position where i could continue a journey.
I also like the spoken instructions of Tomtom as the Navman gives too many and keeps repeating itself. I particularly like the Tomtom instructions at roundabouts where it just tells you once to take relevant exit. On the navman i've had it repeat the request numerous times and then a turn lefts at the exit - that's just too many for me. I haven't noticed any contradictory instructions with TomTom yet whereas the navman can give a turn left instruction when the map clearly shows a right turn.
Stingray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience using the GPS abroad yet, but I am likely to travel there at some stage, hence the reason for selecting Navman. I too have had instances when I was routed though a town, instead of being guided on a by pass for instance. In the end of the day you have to use your common sense as well. For me the GPS is great for getting from A to B in a big city. About the voice instruction: I agree with what you said. Besides that the voice quality with Tom Tom is much better. I am afraid to say that both the female and male voice in Navman tend to get on my nerves and there is not the option to select a different one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: