Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM NAV3 and CF GPS BC-307
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM NAV3 and CF GPS BC-307

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmjones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: TOMTOM NAV3 and CF GPS BC-307 Reply with quote

Just a general question but I have the below setup

HP IPAQ 2210
TomTom NAvigator 3.07
BC-307 CF GPS

For some reason when I start TomTom then check the GPS status sometimes it will take about 30 minutes to pick up a signal. Then other times it takes less then a minute! Is there a reason for this, is there a certain way I have to load it?

Many Thanks
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same set-up except that I am only on TomTom version 3.04T at the moment.

If you have recently used the GPS unit (the same day I find) then the internal battery of the GPS unit will have maintained its memory and it will have a rough idea of where in the world it is. If you havent used the GPS for a couple of days then the battery is likely to have drained and the GPS will need to start again, getting a fix from cold with no knowledge of where it is - this can take significantly longer.

You will also find that if you set off driving before the GPS has got a stable fix then it will take the GPS longer to get a fix than if you are stationery. Therefore, if you use the worse scenarios together - a cold GPS and settting off before a stable fix then it can take 15-30mins to try and work out what is going on!

I tend to set up TomTom and leave it in the car aquiring a fix 5-10 mins before I am due to set off, then go back to the house and sort myself out ready for the journey. Just be aware that your PDA may power off depending on your settings meaning that when you go back to the car, you are no further forward!
gmjones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of makes sense, although its strange though as I thought it would do a cold start everytime I started TomTom!
dcoleman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried locating your present position in map mode, then reset the GPS receiver (tap & hold location, then More..., Reset GPS...). I beleive this should speed up the first fix time.

Dave C.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: