Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobMob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

Bingo (very nearly).

Have too managed to click on map for location about 1/2 mile away and set as favourite and then put this into Home position. I can then navigate to this location by tapping Navigate to Home. I can also switch between Home and other favorites no problem.

The problem I encountered was navigating to my home address which was in Favourite 2 - it crashed. I then deleted my home address from favourites and tried to set it as favourite from the map view - intending to put it back in favourite Home. Unfortunatley system would not let me set favourites from tapping location on map view fro this or any other location.

It would appear that something in the systme does not like how the Home location has been previously set to my actual home address. I can naviagte to the home address by using Navigate to Address or even recent destination but not in Home location or Favourites.

We are getting some where - now only needs someone (TomTom?) to identify the reason.

RobMob
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

Well, my 3870 crashed a few times today - very odd. It doesn't lock up the software, it's just that nothing happens. I'm inclined to think, as was suggested earlier, that it's a BT GPS driver issue, since everything's still working, but the GPS driver isn't sending any new co-ordinates. Hmm.

Whilst navigating from Lincoln to Peterborough I tried out Alternate Route. It took me somewhere else completely, which I wasn't expecting.

Also, when travelling to Lincoln, the original destination was set via the Contacts section. Little did I know that it just took me to somewhere with the same post-code. Absolutely nowhere near where I wanted to go. Turns out that where I wanted was listed in TTN as an un-named road - I disagree, been there, read the road-sign, navigated back from it.

A little bit more work before releasing next time methinks.
oisky
Regular Visitor

Have just discovered something possibly important !!!

When I set my home address in the favourites under position 1 (the default home setting), "Navigate home" crashes 100% of the time. I then had an idea, I reset position 1 (the default home setting) to a known 'good' (ie non crash) address and now "Navigate home" hasn't crashed once !!!

I'm now 99% sure that these problems aren't anything to do with type of Pocket PC or memory allocations - rather they are related to the address that you set as your home (or particular favourite). My guess is that there is some bug with particular areas that then show up and freeze Navigator when you try to navigate to them !!!???

PS, although my home address (when set to favourite position 1) crashes EVERYTIME when I 'Navigate to HOME' It NEVER crashes when I 'Navigate to recent destinations' and select home - weird!

Please could you all try the above test and reply if it fixed you "navigate home" function.
oisky
Regular Visitor

The only thing I haven't tried from your list is reformatting the memory card (which I will do this afternoon) I have already tried putting the program memory up as far as it will go and have already performed a hard reset then re-installed navigator 2. Lets hope that reformatting the card helps, but to be honest with you, I'm not holding my breath in anticipation!?!
musicreative
Regular Visitor

Oisky

I was experiencing the same problems until a couple of days ago. I know it is so frustrating - especially since TomTom don't respond to support emails (at least they never have to any of mine).

As you have probably read in my various posts, I increased the memory allocated to programs (I allocated it a large amount to be safe) and this has made my system stable. I also recommend (re)formatting your SD card and re-installing your map data. I have now put my maps on a 256 MB CF card and this appears to have improved things even more for my system so that I can now store and navigate to favourites. I don't know why this should be, it may just be coincidence.

I am running all the same applications as I did with TTN1 and I would say it's 98% stable - I've had only 1 crash since I increased the memory allocation, and I wasn't touching the system at the time.

If you can, try resetting your iPAQ back to inital condition (after taking a backup if necessary) and then re-install TTN2, allocate plenty of memory to Program and try it from there.

Good luck.

Tim
oisky
Regular Visitor

tried that - still doesn't work!!!
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

clem, are you using Activesyn to copy to the PC and back? My experience is that large files are do not transfer to well this way.

Try using a USB SD card reader/writer?

oisky
Regular Visitor

I have just recieved my upgrade to Navigator 2 and find it unbelieveable that such a buggy piece of software could be released!!! Here's my setup and problems

iPAQ 5450

Standard TomTom reciever

Sandisk 128 meg SD card

Constant freezes that require me to soft reset the handheld. 100% happens from the Navigator screen when I press 'navigate to HOME' or 'Navigate to (Favourite) then select HOME'

random freezes in the map screen also.

Now I have to go into the Favourite screen, select the favourite, select show on map, then hold down on it and select 'Navigate to' Then go onto the Navigator screen and pray that it doesn't freeze up on me. What a pile of crap. I really wish that I'd ripped my Navigator 1 disc as I would be putting it back on in an instant (never even 1 crash with navigator 1 !!!)

Please tell me that TomTom are looking at this release and plan to fix it ASAP or I will seriously look at dumping their product and get something else!!!

PS I have tried everything from hard resetting and putting smaller map sections directly onto the handheld - makes no difference!
RobMob
Regular Visitor

I have noticed that even when I clear a route I still have flags set for the old start and finish points of the route I have just cleared. Should this be the case. Could this be part of the problem of difficulties navigating to favourites and Home.

RobMob
musicreative
Regular Visitor

Dave,

I've given TTN2 a good bit of headroom for memory allocation. I haven't done exhaustive testing to find the cut-off point, but my current settings appear (at present at least) to be working.

Without TTN2 or its GPS module running, my memory now shows as:

Program

-------

Allocated: 41.73 MB

In use: 7.38MB

Free: 34.35MB

Storage

-------

Allocated: 21.45MB

In User: 7.88 MB

Free: 13.57 MB

With TTN2 & GPS running:

Program

-------

Allocated: 41.73 MB

In Use: 10.64 MB

Free: 31.09 MB

Storage

-------

Allocated: 21.45 MB

In Use: 7.88 MB

Free: 13.57 MB

All of this could of course be a red herring - however, memory allocation is all that I have changed.

Tim
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Tim this is good news. I can see why memory might be an issue. What memory do you have available before running TTN2 up, and how much are you making available to get it to work better ?
musicreative
Regular Visitor

Funny you should say that about memory. I was playing around with memory settings this morning and can report that after I increased the amount of memory allocated to Programs, TTN2 has been stable apart from navigation to favourites. I have been out and about, using Navigate to and Alternate from Navigator Screen - no problems at all. Before allocating more memory, TTN2 crashed all the time. I have found that Navigate To Favourite from the Navigator screen causes TTN2 to disappear as it always did, unless there is no route, when it appears to work. Add to favourites in map view appears to be working.

So far, so good. At least some progress to a usable system.

Tim

3970 & Emtac BTGPS & 128 MB SD Card
JackT
Occasional Visitor

May be a stupid question...: Could it be a memory problem?

Although, after several days of utilization, I have currently no problems at all with TTN2 on my Fujitsu Loox with bluetooth GPS, I had a few month ago huge problems with the Navman SmartST software on a Ipaq 3850 : I had numerous freeze/crashes... After more investigation, it appeared that these problems occured when the available memory was almost exhausted...Finally, it was running correctly when enough memory was available.

Have you checked the available memory when TTN2 is running and when crashes occur?

JT
RobMob
Regular Visitor

few immediate findings after my SD card format and map re-install.

1) Whilst able to now set up favourites (by the way I inadvertantly did not copy over favourites file to SD card and have therefore started from scratch)when trying to navigate to them rather than hang program now closes. But just discovered only does this when a route is already in place. If I clear the existing route first in Map view I can then navigate successfully to favourites. Didn't have this problem in TTNAV1.

2) Selecting Alternative route or Original Route in Map screen - program closes

3) Now able to get Instructions (sometimes)other times TTNAV2 closes.

RobMob
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

Today I discovered a new problem, in the navigator screen I am no longer able to use the "Alternatives" and "Navigate to" options. Now when I try to select either of these options nothing happens. This has worked in the past as I have used both options. I re-installed the software yesterday and the fault is still present.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: