Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps are terrible in Scotland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps are terrible in Scotland
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabozza,

Did you identify the address by postcode or city+street?

C
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabozza wrote:
to an address in Stonehaven, south of Aberdeen, the directions took me to Peterhead NORTH of Aberdeen, did the same when using postcodes. as i said if you don'#t know the north east well you would be very lost.

Could you give the Street and the Post Code so the listing can be checked.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: maps Reply with quote

i think we all agree the tomtom go is a very good idea.....and yes it is an aid but how many of us would be happy if we bought an a to z only to find out that the maps were out of date by a long way in some circumstances the problems were ok on the old one.....latest software should include the latest maps and if they are wrong they should be corrected free of charge.....you do not expect to buy the latest product only to find out it has the out of date maps......its like putting a new cover on the an old AtoZ.
Cheers
Rob
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: maps Reply with quote

rob-bob wrote:
.....latest software should include the latest maps and if they are wrong they should be corrected free of charge.....
Cheers
Rob

If you owned a software company, would you give away free software Every time a map error was corrected.I think not.

Not very cost effective i'de say.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: maps Reply with quote

rob-bob wrote:
i think we all agree the tomtom go is a very good idea.....and yes it is an aid but how many of us would be happy if we bought an a to z only to find out that the maps were out of date by a long way

But that's precisely the point, a paper map can be anywhere between 6 months and 3 years out of date when you buy it. And how often do you update your A-Z? No mapping be it paper or digital will ever be bang up to date because it takes so long to gather the information, compile and prepare before release to manufacturers such as TomTom who have to carry out intensive work to then fit it into their format and memory space.

And let's not overlook the costs involved, the mapping data licence is very very expensive.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whooppee.

We can agree on one thing then darren.

:D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
Whooppee.

We can agree on one thing then darren.

:D

I'm sure if we had an opportunity to chat that we'd find we agree on many things Smile
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: maps Reply with quote

ginge
who is saying you should give a free update every time there is a map error....not me....some of the map errors that are on tomtom go are correct on my tomtom2 on my pda so you would think that they would be correct on tomtom go as they are the latest maps...... if i owned a software company i would try and give the latest software in the first place...seems to make sense dont you think

darren
if an a to z company brought out a new a to z would they put a map inside that was worse than the last one....i dont think so....some of the map errors are up to 20 years wrong in some cases.....

at the end of the day the map on tomtom go has loads of errors on it some that were correct on tomtom 2 why are the maps worse on tomtom go....when i bought my tomtom go i would have thought it would fix the few map problems that were on it but i have even more on tomtom go than i ever did on tomtom 2

as for cost im sure tomtom and teleatlas wont be going out of business no matter how much it cost to compile the data and test it as the add that cost onto us... as for them fitting it onto their memory space the cost difference sd cards at cost in so small a few quid why did we not get bigger sd cards seems they tried to cram it all onto a small card and as people are finding out as you try to add poi at is running out of space....maybe thats why the maps ar soo bad as they cut corners to fit it onto the car

Cheers
Rob
dogdays
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of the accuracy of the maps. I used my Tomtom Go to travel to an industrial estate in Erith Kent. I turned me into close of private houses and said that I had reached my destination. It turned out that the close had once been part of the industrial estate but they built a duel carriageway across the road 12years ago.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: maps Reply with quote

Dogdays
thats just my point the maps are out of date soo much in places....in hammersmith it is over 20 years out of date on one road.....it really gets on my tits when people keep saying an a to z is not up to date,they can be up to x amount out of date( i did not buy an A to Z)....i bought a state of the art gps system with the latest maps.....and i do not expect errors that have been done more than two years old......even worse ones that were on tt2 ok and now are incorrect on GO......thats just the problem with this country we seem to take crap like this and do not complain(the brits are well lknown for it).....its just an aid....its gets you there in the end.....you have to keep glancing at the screen to see which way it wants you to go......the roundabouts instructions somtimes are wrong......it tried to send me down a one way street......it take you all around the houses when there is quicker ways just some of the complaints BUT its better than an A to Z......wow!!!!! an AtoZ dont cost £400 and prob has better maps than the v314 maps as the v390 ones seems to have fixed some of the errors....but we cannot have them....
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy days - another rob-bob rant to read.

I think there should be a compulsory posting from rob-bob every day to brighten up our dreary lives.

I keep placing my A-Z on the seat next to me in the car waiting for it to recommend "in 100 yds turn right" but I have obviously not set it up right. Still, what do I expect for £4.99! And, it doesn't even have my road on it - and it's been here 10 years! I think I'll take it back to WH Smith and demand a more up to date version!
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: maps Reply with quote

rob-bob wrote:
BUT its better than an A to Z......wow!!!!! an AtoZ dont cost £400 and prob has better maps than the v314 maps as the v390 ones seems to have fixed some of the errors....but we cannot have them....

If it's as bad as you claim, why didn't you take it back where you bought it ages ago, and demand a refund on the basis that it's not 'fit for purpose'?
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: maps Reply with quote

i think you guys miss the point...on tt2 maps have a few errors prob older maps on tomtom go later maps and some of the errors on tomtom go are correct on tt2.....WHY......this should not happen if its a later map
...then why are they correct on tt2.....havent took it back as YES i think it is a good piece of kit and i am hoping that when their is an update it will fix the problems.....BUT.... iknow a BUT..... but the maps should have been an improvement from tt2 and they are not.....And as for the AtoZ issue i will say again i did not buy an AtoZ.......i would love to know how many errors have been reported to teleatlas....i would guess alot if you read the other forums aswell
Rant over(for today anyway)
Cheers
Rob
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live an Leeds and sometimes the tomtom will not find a street or direct me to a road that isnt there or a dead end so I get out my old fashioned paper AA street map of Leeds and guess what??? The errors are always exactly the same. With the A_Z paper map of Leeds this isnt the case.

My point is that the AA paper map and the tomtom share exactly the same data ,so all you paper map lovers out there can get lost Wink !! Well thats assuming you have AA street maps.

Regards

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: