Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wired or Bluetooth
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wired or Bluetooth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Wired or Bluetooth Reply with quote

Just thought I'd ask this question.

Browsing the forum and having seen a poll about Bluetooth GPS receivers I thought I'd just try to get some idea on what to go for Confused .

One moment I'm going BT, then I read some of the issues people are having and think 'wired'

Thoughts / comments please

apc
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi apc,

I started with a TomTom wired GPS receiver, I then changed to a Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth receiver.

Wired and Bluetooth have got their own advantages and disadvantages. I think the majority of problems that people encountered were down to the fact that to soft reset the receivers you had to wait for the battery to drain its charge. This is not an issue for Bluetooth receivers that have a removable battery (e.g. Fortuna Clip-On) as you just remove the battery for a few minutes.

I’ve always found that the Bluetooth connection between my iPAQs and my Fortuna Clip-On units to be very stable. :D Unlike the Bluetooth connections between my phone and handset!! Crying or Very sad

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth I think is a good idea only if you can permantly wire it into your car, otherwise it's a hassle to take it in and out and put it on charge etc. Personally I went with a CF card based solution for this reason.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my personal opinion is if you are going to use the GPS system outside the car get Bluetooth if not stick to a cabled system. You can get any more reliable than a solid cable. Bluetooth does come in handy if you need to place the receiver in different places in the car to optimise performance.
Bodo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree

Moving a bluetooth constantly from the car to the charger and back again causes accidents - I personally have recently found out that my Clip-On does not like swimming in coffee.
Yes, I agree - it is my own stupidity. But moving stuff that doesnt need moving increases the risk - and sometimes ends up in tears Crying or Very sad - or coffee cups!

My new wired replacement (Holux GR-211 from TotalPDA) is on its way.
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the dumb question. But why do you need to constantly move a BT reveiver back and forth from car to home? Don't most of them come with car chargers?

Thanks
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the dumb question. But why do you need to constantly move a BT reveiver back and forth from car to home? Don't most of them come with car chargers?

Thanks
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i can answer that question Thief’s, you would be surprised the amount of customers I get on the phone who have had there units stolen from the car. A lot of insurance companies only give you a £100 cover on contents which if you keep the PDA and GPS its going to be well over.
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - I am always too trusting of humans : (
jhansman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never used a wired GPS, but my Belkin Bluetooth (rebadged Fortuna Clip On) has worked flawlessly with my Axim X30. Yesterday I had the two connected, but needed to run in the house to load some missing maps onto the Axim. When I came back out to the car, the connection was still live, and I was a good 30 ft. or so from the car when inside. That's impressive, in my book.
Ollie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HP 2210 and BT receiver, to be honest the system is a pain in the neck having the 2 seperate units (not to mention unreliability problems).

If you have no other use for a PDA than for navigational purpose's, then I would use the type of receiver that fits into the top of the PDA, or get a Garmin Street Pilot.
roxteddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've been using my HP2210 with TT3 & Bluetooth GPS for about two weeks now and i think is fantastic, especially since i got my Arkon powered car mount.

Really easy and minimum cable mess in the car (just power to the mount really - which is convenintly located for me).

I've used it most days for the past two weeks and its been very reliable. In normal ops i don't have the GPS powered - it only gets powered to recharge it.
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably an individual choice really - depends on many different factors particular to one's own situation - compatibility with current hardware/cost/type of usage etc

Personally I wanted the most simple and reliable set up and ,as I had experienced technical issues with other bluetooth devices, decided to go for a hard wired receiver. Using the correct Brodit active mount also allows my receiver and PDA to be permanently charged with no trailing cables etc.

Since installing the hardware about 6 weeks ago I have always got an immediate sat fix ( as receiver is always on ) - and didn't want to have to recharge batteries on a BT device , or keep BT device on charge.

That said my wife has just decided to get a Parrot bluetooth hands free/ GPS set up to use with her PDA-Phone ,so I may be converted yet....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: