Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GR231 Data Cable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GR231 Data Cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: GR231 Data Cable Reply with quote

I just received my new GR231 and I assumed that the mini-USB cable that came with it is the data cable I need to connect it to my laptop. I know this cable is used to charge the receiver from either an AC or DC power source. Is there a separate cable I needed to order in order to receive the GPS data via USB? If so, does that cable also charge the receiver at the same time.

I am trying to use the cable that came with the receiver and I keep getting messages that the hardware is not recognized.

Also, while on this topic, are there any fixes yet for the situation when you want to use the GR231 with a wire and no BT present?

Thanks,
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterac wrote:

1. Is there a separate cable I needed to order in order to receive the GPS data via USB?
2. If so, does that cable also charge the receiver at the same time.

Also, while on this topic, are there any fixes yet for the situation when you want to use the GR231 with a wire and no BT present?

The answer to your first two questions is YES.

The GPS outputs a TTL serial data stream, it's not USB even though it uses a mini USB connector. You can get a special serial to USB convertor cable from Holux which will make your PC recognise it as a USB device.

Both types of cable will charge the GPS. The interesting feature is that you can connect the serial cable and get NMEA output at the same time as having a BT GPS connection to the device. Useful if you have two devices which want to use the GPS data.

Not sure about your last question though. With the serial cable you can use the GR231 as a wired GPS (eg connected to your PC), you don't need to have a BT device. Do you want to switch off the BT transmitter on the GPS or something?
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I am still confused because the GR231 I received show that it ship with the USB Interface Cable with mini-USB connector.

The descripiton of this cable that shipped is:

"This cable allows you to make a powerful connection between your GPS and your PC. Create routes and waypoints on your PC and transfer them to your GPS. Also allows you to download map detail from MapSource CD-ROMs to compatible units.
The cable features a USB connector. Does not provide wiring for external power."

Here is a link to where I purchased the GR231:
http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/31140.5.10251744858511431080/gr231.html
What your saying is that this is not really the cable I need to connect my laptop via USB to the receiver? The reason I want to be able to connect the laptop without the presence of BT is because I will sometimes use the laptop without the PPC present and the laptop will be USB wired wothout BT.

Again, based on the description of the cable that came with the GR231 I should be able to connect to the GR231 through USB. I am getting Windows XP messages saing that the install of the harware has failed.

Quote:
Not sure about your last question though. With the serial cable you can use the GR231 as a wired GPS (eg connected to your PC), you don't need to have a BT device. Do you want to switch off the BT transmitter on the GPS or something?

Some of the discussions I've read on this site state that the GR231 will go into sleep mode if it does not detect a BT signal after 10 mins. I hope this is not still the case.

How do you use your GR231?

I am getting very frustrated and I am just about ready to toss this thing.

Thanks,[url][/url][url][/url][url][/url]
peterac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I am still confused because the GR231 I received show that it ship with the USB Interface Cable with mini-USB connector.

The descripiton of this cable that shipped is:

"This cable allows you to make a powerful connection between your GPS and your PC. Create routes and waypoints on your PC and transfer them to your GPS. Also allows you to download map detail from MapSource CD-ROMs to compatible units.
The cable features a USB connector. Does not provide wiring for external power."

Here is a link to where I purchased the GR231:
http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/31140.5.10251744858511431080/gr231.html

What your saying is that this is not really the cable I need to connect my laptop via USB to the receiver? The reason I want to be able to connect the laptop without the presence of BT is because I will sometimes use the laptop without the PPC present and the laptop will be USB wired wothout BT.

Again, based on the description of the cable that came with the GR231 I should be able to connect to the GR231 through USB. I am getting Windows XP messages saing that the install of the harware has failed.

Quote:

Some of the discussions I've read on this site state that the GR231 will go into sleep mode if it does not detect a BT signal after 10 mins. I hope this is not still the case.

How do you use your GR231?

I am getting very frustrated and I am just about ready to toss this thing.

Thanks,
psychoholica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a pin-out diagram for this cable? It would be nice info to know.
thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: