Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

Richard (Oldie)

I would stick with Navigator1 for the time being, a colleague of mine installed Navigator2 yesterday on his 3970, he had the same prolems I have had with the map & favourite menu and has also been experiencing some random crashes.

These issues definately seem to be happening more on the 39xx series. Another guy at work has a 38xx and is waiting for his copy to arrive. I may try and install it on my Dad's 3850, this would tell me one way or another if it is a problem with the 39xx ipaqs.

Richard
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 problems Reply with quote

Well today I had an email from TomTom support it read

Dear Richard,

Thanks for your mail.

We are curently investigating the issue and we will contact you A.S.A.P when we

have a solution.

Regards,

TomTom Customer Services

Lets hope it is sooner rather than later!
RobMob
Regular Visitor

Anyone had any success in looking at Instructions option - all I get is 0:00:00 Depart from - and nothing else. Plus the system then hangs and needs a soft reset.

RobMob
clem
Regular Visitor

Ta Dah!

Finally got the maps installed. Tried installing to CF card, copying cab, moving USB from hub direct to computer all with no success.

The file I had the issue with was the big one cline.dat. Managed to cpy it to the IPAQ by zipping it up with Winzip (only saved about 1MB though) but this file copied, then uncompressed on the IPAQ into the GB folder.

Now maybe I can finally epxerience all the other 3970 issues everybodys raving about
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Dave,

Have you contacted TomTom to see if they are working on any patches? I have delayed installing TTN2 on my 3970 because I am going to Ipswich on Friday and I want to use TTN when I am there. It would be nice to know if TomTom acknowledge that there are problems, ie locking up and the use of favorites, but as I have not upgraded I feel that it is not appropriate to complain.

As you know, with TTN1 there were a few updates in quick succession and we ended up with a very good version, 1.50. What let that down was the quality of the map data. I have not looked at the new maps yet! just printed and read the new manual.

Richard
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

If it helps anyone, I've just recieved and installed TTN2, on an iPaq 5450, and so far it's working fine (well I have got the "can't add favourites" problem, but so far no lock ups or simillar).

Clem I did what you are trying to do, and it worked just fine. Slow, but fine. You could try an install from the CAB files I guess - go to TomTom's site and look at the support FAQ's. There is an item about installing if you have a Mac or Linux on your desktop, and that explains which CAB files you need.

BTW, postcode searching is not crap. It's non-existant! I live in a PO area, and searching on that brings up streets beginning with PO only - my road, which begins with R, is not listed, even though it does have the PO? district code with it if you search on the name.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

I would try removing the hub - my ipaq 3850 is not recognised 50% of the time when attached to a powered hub and would never sync - attaching direct to a port solved these problems.

The documents with my Ipaq also stated do not use a hub!

Prepare for a very long wait if thinking about serial!

Good luck

Ian
clem
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Talkingbollox on 08 April 2003

clem, are you using Activesyn to copy to the PC and back? My experience is that large files are do not transfer to well this way.

Try using a USB SD card reader/writer?

Thanks for the reply.

Yeh using active sync, which has always served me well with even larger files. Haven't got a USB card reader/writer unfortunately. It would be a good test though blowed if I'm going to invest in extra h/w just to get the damn thing to install. Seems to be this particular file, although it extracts well to h/d. Might try using serial instead of USB, or using the direct USB port instead of a hub. Try anything at the moment.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

I have to say that after stripping down everything off my SD card, installing the map to my PC, and then copying over via explorer the system seems to be running much much better. No lockups so far.

Albeit with a disappointing post code search, and 3D view that seems to be too close to the floor and a little bit too far behind real time to be of much use.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Try changing your memory assignment allowing more memory available for Program Memory reducing Storage Space as this seems to have made it more reliable for others.
Bluecan
Occasional Visitor

TTN2 Ipaq 3970 Socket BT GPS

I have had problems with the Favourites issue and think that 2.01 may have cured it. Referring to a previous post in this thread about the program "not liking" certain areas for Home categorisation. My hometown is Normanton in West Yorkshire. Even though it appears to work and delivers me to my home address, when you look in the journey box in map it shows Normanton as being in the Newark & Sherwood Area!!.
Chris
Occasional Visitor

When I EXIT TTN2 ver2.01 I some times find that the GPS is still running in the background. Satellite dish symbol showing on the task bar. But no program showing in the running programs memory area of the iPAQ. If I click on the symbol GPS status program opens. To close GPS down I have to do a soft reset. This appears to happen at random, as most times I close TTN2 (EXIT) the GPS is also shut down.

I find TTN2 ver2.01 runs slower on my setup. Moving / scrolling the MAP screen display, the screen refresh rate is noticeably slower than it used to be when using TTN1.5.

I'm using iPAQ 3850 with Navman 3000 receiver.

Cheers Chris
musicreative
Regular Visitor

Likewise.
oisky
Regular Visitor

Have now upgraded to VER 2.01 and all seems fine !!! (much laughing and cheering was heard)
musicreative
Regular Visitor

After another day using my system, my favourites have not been playing ball again. Home works fine, but it's inconsistent in its behaviour with other favourites. Most of the time, tap and hold on the map, then add as favourite, works. Then without reason (that I can see), the function stops working. Then it will come back again. Same with Navigate To, or Find, favourite. It appears as if some data/memory gets corrupted and stops the functionality working. Who knows. Doing a find address and then adding as favourite from the pop-up menu works 100% of the time.

Since this is happening on various configurations, it seems to me that it is not a hardware-specific problem. Hopefully, the guys at TomTom will have an answer soon.

I can get around the problem by using POIs, which always work.

Tim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: