Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Snooper - v - POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Snooper - v - POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryRoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Snooper - v - POI Reply with quote

I have used a very good Snooper S6 GPS Safety Alert System for over 12 months now, which uses both audible and visuall means of alerting you to cameras.

I am soon to install a TomTom Go which I may update to include the camera database. When I do so I will run both systems in parrallel at first to see which system is most accurate, but I cannot help feeling that the Snooper will be better in terms of both content and warning.

Does anybody else have any similar experience, please? Question Laughing Question
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HenryRoot,

I am a great evangelist of our PocketGPSWorld camera databases. However I would expect any commercial camera GPS database (and) hardware system to beat it. Because:

1. Whilst people report updates throughout the month, we only release a full update about once a month. The individual reports have to be verified on the maps.

2. Some commercial database companies offer a reward for new cameras.

3. I would expect all of the commercial database to have a good relationship/agreement with the various camera groups or installers of each camera.

4. Most commercial database companies have other means of verifying camera locations.

I use the PocketGPSWorld camera databases, a Morpheous Geodesy, and a Bel Euro 550 radar detector for additional security. So if you can justify the addition expense of the hardware and the annual subscription fee then I see no problem with that.

The PocketGPSWorld database is only as good as the people who report the updates. If you see a new camera, or a need for an update to be reported (i.e. camera moved, removed, speed limit change, etc) then please send in a report.

The PocketGPSWorld is very useful and free. Who else provides you with a free and regularly updated camera database?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
HenryRoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Many thanks for your informative reply. I wish I lived a little nearer you so that I could get a gander at the formidable display of GPS kit installed in your car!

I will post a comparison between the Snooper and the PocketGPSWorld database but like you I suspect the Snooper will win. You can update daily if you want to as Snooper use an all-in-one process with download/upload.

Mike
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John? And I've been calling him Robert all this time. Laughing

I also have a Snooper (S6-R Neo) and I've found there to be very little difference. In fact, on several occasions cameras have made it into 'our' datbase more quickly and we also delete removed cameras more quickly. When my subscription runs out, I may well not renew it. I will keep the unit in my car though, if only for the alerts provided by the RLD.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Snooper S4 in-car and other than a few rare occasions I have found our database to be at least as good and in some cases a lot more accurate.

I only keep the Snooper because of its laser alert feature although in real world use it is of little practical benefit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: