Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whare are the favorites stored ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whare are the favorites stored ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Whare are the favorites stored ? Reply with quote

I'd like to know where my favorites are stored ?
Is it in the <Country> directory, or somewhere else ?

What If I use BENELUX and FRANCE on the same SD card ?
Do I have to copy my POI's in both directories ?

What about the favorites ?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where Favourites are stored - and will be interested to see whether anyone else knows the answer.

As far as POI's are concerned, do you have POI files which span multiple countries? If so, with the possible exception of using the Major Roads of Europe (MRE) maps, they're taking up more space than they need to. When you are using the France map, any POIs outside the geographical area of that map don't have any meaning. So it makes sense to organise your POIs into country files (maybe with a bit of overlap near the borders) - and put the France POIs in the France map folder, and likewise with Lux etc.
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's of any use/interest to anyone, I've stopped using the Favourites function for its intended purpose.

I have maps for MRE and the 16 countries of Western Europe (GB, Germany, France, etc.).
In each national folder (e.g. Germany) I have instead set up a POI called "Favourites D E M", "Favourites G B P", "Favourites D K K", etc. It makes it more flexible for editing than GO's own Favourites function - which I now use only for quickly grabbing an on-the-spot Lat/Long position.

C
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to thread where you will see the answer you require from ZZBeard. I've done this and it works

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=TOMTOMGO&thread=513&man=TOMTO

Tomk
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomK wrote:
Link to thread where you will see the answer you require from ZZBeard. I've done this and it works

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=TOMTOMGO&thread=513&man=TOMTO

Tomk

I have queried the correctness of this statement in a post to the Expansys forum. From looking at the file referred to {Country}.cfg it appears to me to hold recent destinations rather than Favourites per se.
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKM_HM

As stated .."It worked for me"

If you choose to question the correctness of this statement then that is up to you.

I'll just not bother replying in the future.

TomK
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we 're not talking about POI's here, that we know are stored in the <country> directory ... but well talking about eh Preferences.
Any idea ?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomK wrote:
As stated .."It worked for me"
If you choose to question the correctness of this statement then that is up to you. I'll just not bother replying in the future.

Isn't that a bit short sighted?!

Surely, we're all trying to help each other to discover the mysteries of this thing. If someone questions a statement which doesn't seem to be quite correct, it's done to try to get at the truth - not to criticise the poster!

In this particular case, the file purported to hold Favourites appears to me to hold Recent Destinations. It may well hold favourites as well - I don't know (and this was made clear in my post to Expansys) - but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't hold just favourites.

So, if anyone wants to know where Recent Destinations are - and this was asked recently - they're in {Country}-Map.cfg

Roger
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question asked was
Quote:
I don't know where Favourites are stored - and will be interested to see whether anyone else knows the answer.

I thought that was what I answered

nuff said....

TomK
ZZBeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: What's in the .cfg file? Reply with quote

Hello Roger

You're probably right in that the .cfg file seems to contain Preferences AND Favourites AND Recent destinations. My recommendation to use this file to recover Favourites was based solely on the fact that when I updated my own GB map from the CD, I lost ALL my customisation settings, and when I re-used this file, I got them ALL back!

In particular I'd noticed that the "Home" setting was right there in the beginning of the file when I looked at it in WordPad. Also, it's the only file that contains enough changing data to represent ongoing usage. When you change maps - if you've installed the MRE you'll know - you lose your previous "Home" setting until you re-establish it. In my case, the street where Home is, is NOT shown by the MRE map!

It is only as a friendly recommendation that I've offered this tip...

David
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is looking increasingly likely that this is the file containing all the types of dynamic data which you mention. When I looked inside mine, I could see mainly recent destinations - but the rest is probably there, not necessarily in ascii format.

In another thread someone wanted to delete the list of recent destinations in case it contained anything incriminating. It looks like this is the file to zap!

However, zapping it could lose you your home and favourites settings too!

Roger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have to do is set all your preferences and favourites, save a copy of the file , and then use it for navigation. Should you now wish to remove the recent destinations then you only need to copy the original file back.

I would aslo recommend - as has been stated here - to put your favourites into a POI file instead.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: