Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Navigator 4 Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Navigator 4 Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dog_Boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Mobile Navigator 4 Problems Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have been looking for a Sat Nav solution and finally decided on MN4 with the modular BT and TMC GPS unit. All installed on my iPAQ hx4700.

Ordered it the other day and now have it here. But unfortunately I am having loads of problems.

1. I have installed the software but it takes an age to load. We're talking a minute or so.

2. A lot of the time (an I mean more often than not) it crashes out. The Navigon intro screen comes up and the loading icon comes up. But it often just returns to the main screen without starting NM4.

3. If the software does load it is very slow in operation. When I select setting for exsample it takes ages to move from screen to screen when I click the arrows.

4. even when it is running slow it terminates without warning. I can select a window in Settings and it gets part way into it the crashes.

5. I have loaded the UK maps onto my SD card (I have a 512Mb SD & 512Mb CF installed) but I haven't yet been able to even look at the maps.

Any ideas? I have spent a lot of money on this kit and I really what to get it running. I spend a lot of time on the road and would love to be able to use Sat Nav to get about.

Thanks in advance

DB
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question - do you have any other software installed? It could be struggling to cope.

I was warned about this before I bought MN4.

Hope this helps
Dog_Boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only have NM4 installed.

I have discovered it seems to be something to do with the GPS reciever.

If I set it to COM 5 in Settings its does what I posted above but if I set it to COM 8 it flies through.

Unfortunately COM 8 is out going. I would have thought it should be incoming serial connection (which is COM 5).

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Sad
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dog_boy,

As far as I know com ports are not incoming or outgoing they are what it says on the tin, Com(munications) ports and are bi-directional in their communications.

If when you set it to com 8 it "flies through" I would suggest that is the correct port to use.

Jon.
Dog_Boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

I understand what I'm doing wrong. As you say a com port is a com port, and as its getting something on 8 that must be the right one.

Thanks agin Smile
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to use the correct COM port with BlueTooth. The numbers can vary depending on the PDA, but in this case:-

COM8 is the outgoing Bluetooth port, which is used when the PDA initiates the connection to the device. This is for most passive devices such as the GPS antenna, bluetooth keyboards etc.

COM5 is the incoming Bluetooth port, which is used when a device initiates a connection with the PDA. Devices in this case are normally active, such other PDAs and Phones, which seek you and try to talk.

Once connected both ports are bidirectional, i.e. used to both send and receive data. But if the incomming port is used incorrectly, the PDA may hang.

Cheers
---Dave
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

Is that a bluetooth standard or is it just the way Ipaqs are set up?

Jon.
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankyman wrote:
Is that a bluetooth standard or is it just the way Ipaqs are set up?

No, it varies considerably, even other iPaqs have different numbers for the BT com ports.

Cheers
---Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: