Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ok, why is everyone buying TomTom & not CoPilot?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, why is everyone buying TomTom & not CoPilot?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Ok, why is everyone buying TomTom & not CoPilot? Reply with quote

I've been waiting for the last few months to buy GPS for my SPV C500, at the time TomTom wasn't out for the SPV but now it is. I have read both reviews and my own personal preference would be CoPilot as there are no additional GPRS costs for updates etc and it has that nifty thing where people can track you and send you questions.

What I don't get though is how that forum is now practically dead whereas this one has posts everyday.

So can you guys explain what is attracting you to TomTom over CoPilot, have I missed something?

Cheers
ZrednaZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... well for one thing it won't run on my Nokia 6600 - I guess that's the obvious reason Laughing

Also I've never seen it in any online shops... Guess it just isn't popular enough to get a good share of the market for these products...

The choice of which one to buy was rather simple in my case... My three options were Wayfinder, Route66 and TomTom Mobile. I didn't want to be dependent on GPRS coverage, thus ruling out Wayfinder.
This left me with Route66 and TomTom, so I checked out their websites. Turned out that Route66's Danish website was translated very, very poorly, and I can't bring myself to take a company like that seriously. Also I couldn't seem to find Wayfinder or Route66 in any online stores. These elements combined made TomTom the natural choice... Smile

(not that I've actually bought it yet, I'm getting it next week)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copilot is less controversial than TomTom - that's why the forum there is quieter. CoPilot Smartphone just works...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of my work colleagues are very disappointed with CoPilot and after seeing my TTM want to buy it instead.
Sun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it could be that copilot has less issues, you could be right there.

Gstenson I'm curious to know what your colleagues feel is better about TT and why you chose TT yourself.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
CoPilot Smartphone just works...

No it does not!

CoPilot Smartphone crashes when trying to calculate routes (out of memory), chooses bizzare routes and has a lot of other bugs. It is NOT fit for use as a street navigation program.
babybob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents

1) TomTom has more users, therefore more people posting

2) TomTom seems to have a stronger developer community and therefore more tools / ideas to discuss, TomTom from what Ive seen have more developer resources which may explain this

3) Its considerably cheaper!

Brian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
lbendlin wrote:

No it does not!

CoPilot Smartphone crashes when trying to calculate routes (out of memory), chooses bizzare routes and has a lot of other bugs. It is NOT fit for use as a street navigation program.

Well, this is quote vs quote. Over here (Texas maps) it works fine on a Qtek 8080e. No crashes, no bizarre routes.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
lbendlin wrote:

No it does not!

Thats exactly what my colleagues say. I bought TTM because I have been using TT since v1 days.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot Traffic does incur GPRS costs and will require subscription just as TomTom Mobile does.

Personally I find CoPilot Mobile's interface less intuitive and the application is less stable than TT Mobile. It also requires adjustment of the handset settings to prvent the screen saver appearing when CoPilot is active which is a pain when it is not and the screen does not switch off! TomTom manage to handle this automatically.
zeroknowledge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
CoPilot Traffic does incur GPRS costs and will require subscription just as TomTom Mobile does.

Cost?? Is this just for the traffic update - or have i been completely missing some information?? Embarassed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic upfdates are delivered via GPRS for which there is a cost that your Cellphone Service Provider will bill you as well as a subscription fee payable to the Traffic Data Service Provider to be able to access the updates.

This is exactly the same as TomTom Mobile.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Skippy wrote:
lbendlin wrote:

No it does not!

Well, this is quote vs quote. Over here (Texas maps) it works fine on a Qtek 8080e. No crashes, no bizarre routes.

OK, fair enough - I am using a different phone (Orange C500) and UK maps.

I wonder if the problems with CP Smartphone are Phone or Country related then. The silence from ALK about this is deafening....
Sun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm slipping towards TomTom more now as a result of further research and this thread, plus it's cheaper :o

A few Q's

Realistically what kind of GPRS costs are people incurring with the traffic master update?

Is that the only thing GPRS is used for, so if I don't get it I'll be making a single payment for the TT setup and that's it?

CoPIlot gave others the ability to track where you were, your expected etc etc via a url you could publish to them, does TT?

With use of the above, people could send you simple YES/NO Q's to your phone while enroute, can TT?

I've seen TT on GlobalPositiong for £168, is there anywhere cheaper?

Cheers
babybob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Realistically what kind of GPRS costs are people incurring with the traffic master update?

I dont use it daily, but over Christmas used it quite a lot, it used very little and my total GPRS usage for Dec-Jan was only 1.7Mb

Quote:
Is that the only thing GPRS is used for, so if I don't get it I'll be making a single payment for the TT setup and that's it?

Yes

Quote:
CoPIlot gave others the ability to track where you were, your expected etc etc via a url you could publish to them, does TT?

Not currently, but this could be something a third part might right if enough people were interested? Anybody?

Quote:
With use of the above, people could send you simple YES/NO Q's to your phone while enroute, can TT?

As above.

Quote:
I've seen TT on GlobalPositiong for £168, is there anywhere cheaper?

No that I've seen, other than occasionaly ebay

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: