Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Traffic Accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Traffic Accuracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as im aware the internet conection goes to the itis server ( but i maybe wrong about this) so the all the tomtom traffic software does is read the information from the itis server so dont see (if im right) how tomtom can be held responsible for the data

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you update your Traffic information, TomTom Traffic clears all the incidents before downloading them all again from the server.

If you're having a problem staying connected, that may explain it.

This may be irrelevant - but it's how I've seen Traffic behave.

David
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I asked the question to TT, and in fairness here is the reply the they gave:

Thank you for your email.

UK:
Source: ITIS and Highways Agency. ITIS is the TMC provider from the UK, with own detection and collection mechanisms available The Highways Agency has a virtual traffic information centre, based on information from various public administrations.

Basically we provide the traffic information that is provided to us by the organisation listed below.

( UK:
Source: ITIS and Highways Agency. ITIS is the TMC provider from the UK, with own detection and collection mechanisms available The Highways Agency has a virtual traffic information centre, based on information from various public administrations.)

These incidents can occur but it is not the norm. We do appreciate the feedback however, as we rely on customer feedback for the swift development of our products.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

This would indicate then that they get information from various sources before putting it onto their own server for us to download.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alix,

Slightly off topic I know.

alix776 wrote:
I and the other driver have a secondary TMC System in the form of a CB radio Laughing Laughing

Is CB the best for traffic updates?
I suppose that you use the 80 channel CBs now?
What channel is the best for road reports, is it still 19?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I tend to travel without any two way radio these days. I do have a mobile Amateur 2m / 70cm FM setup, but I've never used it in my current car and I don't ever remember getting that much in the way of traffic reports on the repeaters.

I've never bothered with CB, not least because Ofcom (and, before them, the Radiocommunications Agency), in their wisdom, decided that those of us that pay for our Amateur Radio licences don't get a CB licence thrown in, so we have to pay two licence fees.

I know there was some talk of abolishing CB licence fees, and maybe this has happened by now. I would check - but the Ofcom web site is down.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm encouraged to hear that TomTom are using the Highways Agency information as well as the iTIS information. The Highways Agency seems to provide very good quality information on motorways equipped with the sensor loops, and it may explain why people are reporting that Traffic is working much better recently.

You can access the Highways Agency information on the web here.

David
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have thought it was good. I was on the M25 over the holidays, which was the most empty I have seen it for so long.

I had the TTN on 5 minute updates when it warned of a queue ahead, giving a delay(cant remeber how long). Being impatient I told it to minimise traffic delays, and at the next junction I was sent off, to go and rejoin the motorway again.

Unfortunately I was on the safety screen, else I would have seen this coming and would have avoided it, because there was no delay at all.

Rolling Eyes
JoeBirt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM Traffic V TMc V Trafficmaster Reply with quote

For the past 4 years I have been using Trafficmaster (TM)- at the time it was the cheapest and best option open to me. 8 months ago I started running TT3 with Traffic (TT). So with both running I could compare the data, I have found that TT is far superior to TM firstly because it displays all incidents (Correct or Incorrect) on your route and gives you expected delay, its upto to you to decide what to do.

In the past week I have started using a LR Diso3 with TMC - again it reports stuff that TT doesnt and Vise-Versa. One down side of TMC on the disco it only warns you af incidents within 2 Miles and you cannot review all incidents on route unless you are stopped with the car in Nuetral. If you replan to avoid an incident, by my limited experienc, by time it recalcs you are either in the jam or so close to the next turn it tells you to take its not safe to do so.

For me TT is the best option and for 49 euro a year plus GPRS charges (About 15p per connection) its a small price to pay to save time. One one day it estimated that a 2 hour journey would take 6, recalc route took 2Hrs 10 and 5 miles more

:D [/quote]
JoeBirt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Update on TTN v TM v TMC Reply with quote

My colleague was travelling today fom Camberley to Weleyn

He doesnt have TTN

He rang me just as he joined the M"% at M2 M25 Junction - as he got close to Junction 13 the traffic slowed to 20 MPH

TMC on the Disco 3 showed NOTHING

Trafficmaster (Which is not mounted correctley yet so not fully visable) showed Speed below 30

I immediatley checked on TTN for him and it showed a delay from J13 to J16 a delay of 25 mins

I know which system i am going to look at first

Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: