Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Haicom loosing fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Haicom loosing fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geordy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Haicom loosing fix Reply with quote

Hi,

Happy Christmas.

My GPS setup has developed a strange problem.
I use a Haicom 203e connected to a iPAQ 3850 running TomTom v1.53 (I know this is old kit but it works, almost)
Recently a problem has developed whereby I loose all satellites after about the first 5 minutes of any journey. The 203e seems to then go into a cold start and takes in excess of 5 minutes to re-establish a fix.
I have not changed anything on the car, a Rover 75 Tourer, and have had the the Haicom checked out by GPSWarehouse who found no problem. I have since discovered that if I put the Haicom outside of the car the problem appears to go away. I know this suggests that the windscreen is blocking the signal but with the receiver back in the car, once I have been through the re-acquire cycle the unit performs perfectly for the remainder of the journey, often in excess of 3 hours. Additionally I have found that if I connect my Magellan Map 330 to the PDA everything works fine. Even if I leave the Magellan in the pocket to the right of the steering wheel with only the stub antenna protruding. I regularly see between 3 and 8 satellites in this position.
Although the windscreen does have an effect I find it hard to accept that it is the cause of this problem. The only thing I can think of is that something in the car cuts in after 5 minutes and causes the GPS to loose its fix and go into a cold start.
Can anyone help?
Confused of Bucks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could have multiple causes. Maybe indeed some HF interference kicks in after five minutes, but maybe the 203 is just old and about to die. Do you have a chance to test with a newer receiver?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to wonder whether there's something not quite right with Evermore chipset GPSes - possibly a firmware issue. This is yet another post from someone with an Evermore based Haicom (all Haicom GPSes where the model designator ends in E use an Evermore chipset) with strange operational problems. We don't seem to see this kind of post from people using SiRF based GPSes.

All I can suggest is making sure TomTom GPS is set to NMEA 0183v2 4800 and not Haicom GPS (which is a setting aimed at SiRF based Haicom products). Apart from that, I'm stumped.

TomTom Navigator 1.53 - fair enough, but the maps in such a setup will be something like three years out of date.

David
TonyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with a Haicom 201S, I hav had it for about 3 years but since a few months it takes for ages to get a first fix, as if it was doing a factory cold start. TomTom shows a couple of grey satellites, but they never turn red.

Usually I dont have the patience to wait and just drive off anyway. Sometimes it gets a fix after a time,maybe 20 minutes, sometimes it never gets a fix. If it does get a fix, it works perfectly, even in difficult situations with poor cover. It will keep the fix if I turn it off for a short period and then on, but it loses the fix overnight.

I guess it is the internal battery that has gone.

These GPS mice dont seem to be very reliable, I have had Garmin units that last for years.
Geordy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Guys. I hope Lutz is wrong about the unit about to die as it is only 11 month old.
I do have TT set up as per David's suggestions although when I first got the unit I was not aware of this and it worked fine set to Haicom GPS?
All in all I wish I had found this website before I purchased my unit and hope others benefit from my experience. I guess I will just have to try to find a neat way of mounting my Magellan handheld in the car.
Thanks again
Geordy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: