Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Selecting Intersection as Destination
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Selecting Intersection as Destination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spider-101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Selecting Intersection as Destination Reply with quote

How do you (can you?) select the intersection of two roads, using just road numbers, as a destination?

For example, say I want the intersection of the A416 and the A4251 (these are real roads that do intersect so you can try this for yourselves).

I go to Destination, then Intersection, and try to enter A416 in the "Int. of" box. The trouble is I can't seem to just do that. If I enter A416 it asks me to select one of 35 roads, i.e. all of the named roads on the A416 and the A4160-9, e.g. A416, Amersham, Chesham, - A416, Ashley Green,Chilterns, etc, etc, all the way to A4169, The Gorge, Telford.

It doesn't appear to give me the choice of just plain old A416. If I don't know which of the 6 stretches of the A416 it lists my intersection is on, and I just pick the first, and then try to enter the A4251. it won't let me. I only have a choice of of the 15 roads that intersect at A416, Amersham, Chesham.

The A416 and the A4251 in fact intersect at Berkhampstead. If I pick A416, Berkhampstead, it give me the choice of two roads, Chesham Road and Kingshill way, but I have no way of knowing which is the A4251!

Am I doing something wrong? If not, is it the sort of problem that Navman will fix in a future Service Pack?

Thanks
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Spider-101,

I use Navigon software, and say I wanted to go to M1 J12, I would bring that up on the screen then when I (using a PDA) tap on that junction I am given the option to save that destination, I would just type in M1 J12, and save it.

Now when I go to start a new navigation route, I can select saved destionations on the menu, so would choose that one, and then when clicking start navigation that would be the one calculated.

regards,

PocketGps
Paulworden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Navman iCN intersections as destinations Reply with quote

The Navman is very useful but its search functions (or more likely, the data indexing) is/are rubbish.

As stated previously, you can't choose a road name as one half of an intersection - you have to specify a specific location on that road.

Tapping the map as a destination works reasonably well right up until you're 200 metres from the destination and find you tapped 50 metres off the road - so it won't 'reach' the destination.....

Here in Australia, the roads for the country towns are in the data - but not the town names. So if I want to go to "Mortlake" I have to know the name of a road. It's not so easy to find these small towns on the map - most of Australia is empty space.

Entering Portland or Mortlake as a city/town gives 'no matching etc....'

I've learned to 'find' my destination and save it as a destination or trip before I set off.

All the above may seem a bit Rantish - in fact I think the unit does an excellent job allowing for the combination of brilliance and utter stupidity that we expect from computerisation.

'Back on track' is great, because you can make your own decisions about changes in the route and still have confidence that the unit will guide you home.

I'd like a clip-on hood to shade the screen though - it's hard to see in sunlight.... Oh I forgot.....you don't get so much of that in the UK....javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
Laughing
BigPotato
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Selecting Intersection as Destination Reply with quote

Hi,

Advice on the Navman support site states that in this situation you should enter the road numbers with a preceding hash sign e.g.
#A416 and #A4251

Haven't tried it myself because my wife borrowed my iCN 510 and now won't give it back!

I agree with Paulworden on the indexing issue, several main roads in Surrey/Hampshire appear on the maps but are not found when searching e.g. West Street in Farnham. Presumably this should be reported to Navman so they can update their software?

Other than that I would agree it is an excellent product.

Regards

BigPotato

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: