Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using Navtec and TeleAtlas maps on the iCN630
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Navtec and TeleAtlas maps on the iCN630

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Using Navtec and TeleAtlas maps on the iCN630 Reply with quote

Hello All, :P

Alfie B, Kevmac, Icys, Dave, how u all doing? Man o man I have been away for far too long Confused Hope you guys still remember me Rolling Eyes Its the one and only iCNman 8)

Wow, the new iCN510 looks wicked. I so want one Sad My iCN630 was nearly history! My uncle saw it and he snatched it from me :x Now that I am driving again and as I also have a habbit of getting lost in my own neighbourhood, I managed to get it back. I'm gona wait a few months and see how much the 510 drops, then hopefully me gonna get one. I need a back up. Having said that, £450-£500 does seem pretty reasonable.

Oh by the way Dave, I read the review on the 510 and was very happy to see that it got a 97% rating. Good stuff. I spent like 3 hours last night, trying to catch up on everything thats been going on around here. Didnt even know there was a SP3 available for the 630. :o

Now, I need your help (theres a surprise? says Alfie B) on something that I last set about doing but failed. I'm talking about using the old Navtec maps with the V2 software. I remember Alfie B and the other guys were also experimenting with this at the time. But as I had dissapeared for the past months, I didnt find out wot happened.

Was it all a rumour or is it really possible to use the Navtec maps with the V2 software? And if so, do the Navtec maps make use of the 3D feature? I'd be very gratefull if someone can help me on this. I dnt even have the softwared installed on my PC anymore, else I'd play with it right now Laughing

Well, this is getting too long, so I'll leave it here. I'll see u guys around Mr. Green

iCNman
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, Hello stranger

I thought your Navman had sent you the wrong way and you had got lost. Laughing Anyway it's nice to have you back

The answer to your question is Yes it can be done. There is an FAQ on the Navman Website which tell you how to go about it, but in the end I never bothered with it. I looked at it this way, Navman were never going to offer support and upgrades for the V1 NavTeq maps so I left it alone. I believe others have got it to work OK so I'm sure you will get answers from them.

In the meanwhile all the best

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Navtec and TeleAtlas maps on the iCN630 Reply with quote

ICNman wrote:
Hello All, :P

Alfie B, Kevmac, Icys, Dave, how u all doing? Man o man I have been away for far too long Confused Hope you guys still remember me Rolling Eyes Its the one and only iCNman 8)

Hey don't leave it so long next time! Good to see you back Wink

ICNman wrote:
Wow, the new iCN510 looks wicked. I so want one Sad My iCN630 was nearly history! My uncle saw it and he snatched it from me :x Now that I am driving again and as I also have a habbit of getting lost in my own neighbourhood, I managed to get it back. I'm gona wait a few months and see how much the 510 drops, then hopefully me gonna get one. I need a back up. Having said that, £450-£500 does seem pretty reasonable.

Personally I don't think the 510 will drop much more, you'll only be looking at pounds, maybe a tenner.

ICNman wrote:
Oh by the way Dave, I read the review on the 510 and was very happy to see that it got a 97% rating. Good stuff. I spent like 3 hours last night, trying to catch up on everything thats been going on around here. Didnt even know there was a SP3 available for the 630. :o

I'm glad you liked the review, the 510 is a great little device. I still think the UI needs to be bettered across the Navman range, including the map view. V3 software is nice but I do find it makes it harder to see the road you're on in the distance. It's better on the iCN650 compared to the iCN510.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I agree with Dave on the colours of V3 - and the M6 toll is marked in pink - but when you're not near its red - just like the route!

And it marks the toll from the M6 right past the M42 and onto the toll proper - if you're not local the first bit from the M6 north to the toll road is free - I'm not sure where you'd go if you had Avoid Tolls set - certainly when it set for warn on tolls it will tell you that you are on a toll, when in fact you're not.

For me V3 is a definate must - the lack of toll road was a pain because it affects so many roads north of Birmingham.

And overall its a much better package - lots of things like the distance to go below the next junction icon in the top left hand corner - the better icon istself - the better second page view of the junction - the fact that you now can see the house numbers as you go along.

Also the postcode option on its own has gone, its all now in the one menu - destination - you can select post code or not.

Downsides are the colour definition and it does seem a little slower, especially chosing the destination.

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

So u guys do remember me Surprised YAY :D

Hey Anglefire, cant believe I forgot to mention u earlier Sad Sorry man. There's a few others who I cant remember the names of. I have the memory of a gold fish (3 seconds) Embarassed

I have some bad news (for me anyways). I just visited navman's site and followed their instructions (thanks to AlfieB Thumbs Up ) to be able to use the old Navtech maps with V2. But I was unsuccessful. First I formatted the iCN630 and started from scratch. Installed V1 then activated it. Then installed V2 and activated it. Followed by installing all the SP's available from Navmans site.

Everything went well and I had no probs with any of the downloads or the activations. So I was now ready to install the Navtech maps to my iCN630, and thats when everythin fell apart!!! :x

It displays an error message ''Please activate the map software before attempting to install maps. CODE ERROR: 1'' Confused This is exactly what I got the last time I had a go at this.

To be honest folks, I really cant be botherd with the navtech maps as they are quite old and no support will be given. I just wanna do it and make it work. I hate failing with these sort of things.

I was thinking about buying a new GPS system that uses Navtech maps. Now I havent done any research on this yet, but it would mean something other than a Navman and Tom Tom, as they obviously support Teletlas maps. But do I really want to miss out on the iCN510? Confused

I'll let you guys know about what I come up with in a few days time, once I've had some time to browse the net properly.

Oh, I also filled in a support form about the map problem and submitted it to Navman. Might even call good old Bruce tomorrow at Navman and bother him for a while. Havent done so for ages. His probably wondering where I got to lolzzzzzzzzzzz.

Well folks, take care and bye for now.

iCNman
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ICNman

See Exclamation I told you it wasn't worth all that hassle Wink

Now what you need to do now is give your uncle your iCN630 and then go and buy yourself a nice new iCN650. Go on spoil yourself, you know it makes sense Laughing .

Oh Exclamation and on the plus side the UK maps will have the M6 Toll Road. Joker

Best wishes

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back stranger.

I have ditched Navman for a Copilot 5 and its brilliant Navtec maps for Ireland.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: