Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do you guys find small quirks in the routing...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you guys find small quirks in the routing...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarjoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Do you guys find small quirks in the routing... Reply with quote

For example, if i wanna go somewhere that i know means i need to turn right out of my street, TTG sometimes tells me to turn left out of my road, go slightly further up do a right, and come back on itself, rather than just doing a right out of my road.

Bizarre!

Infact it sometimes tells me to go into a road which i know is a no-thru road, when it should have just told me to do 'right' out of my street!

Also, sometimes if you make a minor mistake, and miss a turn it wants u to take, when it re-calcs the route, rather than telling u to u-turn and resume the original path, it takes u off-course and on a much longer route, which u could swear is not the quickest route when compared to u-turning and doing what it originally suggested. (However, sometimes it will tell u to u-turn, but not always, why?)

All-in-all do u guys find that sometimes the TTG might mis-lead you, but will reliably get u there eventually....but over the years all amounting in a lot of extra mileage!! :-0

Still I wouldnt leave homw without it, am fully glad i bought it ages ago.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a few articles on this site that describe how maps are generated. As you can see there is plenty of room for error, and it is also an eternal game of catch-up - as soon as a road is surveyed properly someon puts a wall right through it, or changes the signage.

Navigation systems can assist you, but cannot replace you as a thinking driver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start moving it doesn't know which way you are pointing, so it's a 50/50 toss-up whether the first instruction you get is to turn right or left
Robin
Sarjoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Navigation systems can assist you, but cannot replace you as a thinking driver.

Thats a fair point, which I totally understand but it still doesnt explain why on earth TTG doesnt prompt for a U-turn when it would certainly be the best thing to do in a lot of situations, rather than re-routing you an extra mile or two (or more as has been the case!)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on its map data, TTGO may simply not know that a U-turn is possible, and instead proposes it where it knows one's available.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Encantador
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: There is no doubt it does some strange things..... Reply with quote

I travel regularly between 2 towns about 12 miles apart. Both have a M6 J nearby. If I an town A and route to town B it sends me towards the M6 (as expected). If I tell it to avoid the M6 it re routes along a long established A road that links the two towns, simple.

If I am in town B and routing to town A, it again send me towards the M6, if I tell it to ignore the M6 it says `NO ALTERNATIVE AVAILABLE`. It seems to have `forgotten about the A road we used yesterday.

If I head across town to the A road it keeps trying to send me back to the M6 until I get just outside of town when it seems to `remember` the A road.

Not moaning, just intrigued.

You may do a few moree miles as mentioned above, but probably not as many as getting lost a few times and a loss less stressful too.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it sometimes tells me to turn left, and do a U-turn instead of turn right, at a junction. I learned to ignore it after it sent me down a small one way road the wrong way with a friend following me Laughing Out Loud.

Another thing I find is that if I plan a route over a long distance (as I do every week day), and I re-plan it halfway through the journey, it manages to find a completely different route that is a few minutes quicker.

I don't mind too much anymore, overall Tomtom has releived a lot of stress, in that I no longer have to drive with a map on my knee and take my eyes and mind off the road. And to add to it, I signed up to Tomtom traffic at the weekend, and used it for the first real time today after my weeks trial 7 months ago, and its already saved me from 3 traffic jams :D.
Encantador
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: How does this traffic thing work..... Reply with quote

Is it expensive on your phone bill?

Steve
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea only signed up at weekend! Laughing

Only used 60K today, with quite a few updates, so if I go off the usual £1 per 1MB then thats about 6 pence on phone bill today? At that rate, if I say theres 8 days of weekend per month (when its not used), then thats about £1.30ish on the phone bill per month, but then I don't use It every weekday. Cheaper if you buy a GPRS bundle. Ah well, the company pay for it Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: