Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Duel mode GPS (Sirf & Xtrac) £40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Duel mode GPS (Sirf & Xtrac) £40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived today, will try it out as soon as I can, thanks for your advice pdarnett.

Interesting address on the back of the envelope it came in - 230 Kilburn Lane, London, which happens to be the address of 'PDAMods', who advertise on this site....!

Steve.
pdarnett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pdamods!, well spotted !
I wonder if its a re badged Rikaline Sirf Star II as advertised on their site
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it for a spin today. Seemed to work OK, took 10 mins initially to find me, and then showed about 4 to 8 sats average, Occasionally saw 12, occasionally 3. Just have to see how it performs over a longer time.......

Steve
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great!

Mines got worse. I now get no lock at all from mine. Even after an hour of sitting in the car in the same location. GPS unit in or out of the car... See my other posts for details...

I am hoping that this is a cable problem... Replacement on the way!

Fingers crossed.

Regards
Claud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Diastar (should be Diabolic no connection useless star) 9200 Reply with quote

Mines completely packed up after about 3 days of sort of working!

I get a signal lock for about 5 seconds max, and then it searches for about an hour and trhen locks again for 5-10 seconds... You do get what you pay for... I sent the unit back to the EBay seller as faulty, and I am still waiting for a replacement... I think I will write that off and go get a decent GPS receiver from a reputable company!

See my other posts. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, but I can conclude that the GPS unit is rubbish, and Diastar simply does not exist anywhere! Even tried good old Google, and the only references to Diastar 9200 is this site... Good old Pocket GPS World... What would we do without you?

You live and learn, and you get what you pay for!

Regards
Claud.
AKA FranticAxim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The address on the back of the one they sent me was that of PDAMods - they advertise on this site. You could try ringing them and ask them to upgrade.....might be worth a try.

Steve
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

It surely is PDAMods, AKA Vivo Technologies, AKA Rikaline UK, AKA ThinkTechnologies, and unfortunately they wont upgrade my GPS receiver to a Rikaline GPS-6010 even though I (obviously) offered to pay the difference.

Hey thems the breaks.

But they do assure me that I will get a replacement GPS unit of the same type, which by the way is NOT a rebadged Rikaline receiver. Still not 100% sure what it is. But I must have ended up with a dodgey GPS unit, it happens!

Anyway, thanks all for your help. I am sure I'll be back, PocketGPSWorld has been a god send! What would we do without it?

Regards
Claud.
cebab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told today by "TOM" in a reply to an e-bay query that the current crop are Diastar 8500's ..... still none the wiser.

Ipaq wrote:
I have been told by reply that the item is a diastar 9200.

Anybody have any info on this?

Thanks in advance.
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cebab wrote:
I have been told today by "TOM" in a reply to an e-bay query that the current crop are Diastar 8500's ..... still none the wiser.

Ipaq wrote:
I have been told by reply that the item is a diastar 9200.

Anybody have any info on this?

Thanks in advance.

Oh they've gone down in the range then! Mine was a diastar 9200 also. I am now waiting for my replacement from Thinktechnologies. They seem reputable enough (as they are also PDA Mods). I have not been able to find any information on Diastar GPS receivers ANYWHERE!

Claud.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a Diastar 9200 also. It is working Ok though. Just as good as my Original TomTom wired GPS. Only place I could find info was on this post!!

Steve
njp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of these as well. My third one, to be precise, as the first two died (LED on constantly, no comms)

To be fair, the company that sell them are pretty helpful, but the product appears to be crap. I got mine as a 'toy', but if you need a GPS you can rely on, I'd suggest getting a decent branded one.

If anyone is struggling to get a fix, you'll find that it takes up to an hour the first time, and becomes quicker with use.
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njp wrote:
I've got one of these as well. My third one, to be precise, as the first two died (LED on constantly, no comms)

To be fair, the company that sell them are pretty helpful, but the product appears to be crap. I got mine as a 'toy', but if you need a GPS you can rely on, I'd suggest getting a decent branded one.

If anyone is struggling to get a fix, you'll find that it takes up to an hour the first time, and becomes quicker with use.

How soon after first use do they die. I now have a replacement and its working fine. Just wondered what to expect... You seem now to be a Diastar 9200 veteran!

Cheers.
Claud.
njp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franticAxim wrote:

How soon after first use do they die. I now have a replacement and its working fine. Just wondered what to expect... You seem now to be a Diastar 9200 veteran!

My first one died within about 2 months. The second one just a few weeks later.

I keep them permanently switched on.

Let's hope I was just unlucky. If this third one fails, I think I'll try to get my money back. I'll keep you posted!

Neil
worm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much success have you had with this un-named reciever?I also have got one from ebay but can not get it to work. When I plug it in it tells me that there is an un-named usb and asks for the name of driver, being new to all of this don't know what to do next hope you can help Regards worm
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worm wrote:
How much success have you had with this un-named reciever?I also have got one from ebay but can not get it to work. When I plug it in it tells me that there is an un-named usb and asks for the name of driver, being new to all of this don't know what to do next hope you can help Regards worm

If you have one of these blue receivers, and are trying to use it with TomTom, then you can use either TomTom GPS or NMEA drivers for it. I have had no problems with mine since the faulty one was replaced. I found the seller to be most helpful with setting it up.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Claud.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: