Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 bizarre route planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 bizarre route planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: TT3 bizarre route planning Reply with quote

Can anyone explain the seemingly rather bizarre decisions that TT3 seems to make when planning routes?

An example - I just took a trip from a small village on the Wales/England border (Higher Kinnerton) to Richmond in Surrey, and back again. For the outward journey, TT3 wanted to send me eastwards, across to the M6, then all the way down the M6/M42/M40/M25/M4 and into Richmond. Apart from the beginning (I usually go down the A483/M54), that's pretty much how I'd do it. However, asking it to navigate back to the exact same point, it decided to try sending me up the M1!! Even after I headed off up the M40, for the first 15 miles or so it kept trying to turn me around, back down to the M25, around a few junctions and off up the M1. Why?!?!

And there's something else that confused me - on the way home, getting closer to home I decided to try to fool it a bit by seeing if it really did know the best routes. At two or three points (ranging from within an hour of home to within 15 minutes or so), I ignored what it was telling me to do and took the route that I knew to be best. As soon as I deviated from the route it was giving me, it recalculated itself and immediately came up with the route I was taking, which on each occasion it showed to be many minutes quicker and a good few miles shorter. Why didn't it come up with these quicker/shorter routes in the first place? It clearly knows about them as it offered them up as options when I turned onto them, and if it knows about a quicker route then surely this should be offered by default??
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To stop this happening I think you need to turn "strict route recalculation" on. I live in Bishop's Stortford, which is at J8 of the M11. Coming up the M11, TT3 always wants me to come off at J7 which is only a quicker route if there's no traffic. If I carry on to J8, the route recalculation tells me to take the last exit on the roundabout and go back down the M11 to J7! A quick "navigate home" makes it realize the error of its ways though.

However, if you turn strict route recalculation on, I find the recalculation too slow for urban situations.
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TT3 bizarre route planning Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
Even after I headed off up the M40, for the first 15 miles or so it kept trying to turn me around, back down to the M25, around a few junctions and off up the M1. Why?!?!
I've noticed this on longer routes too - the software tries initially to get you back on the planned route even to the point where this may take 10 minutes or so longer than your new route but then eventually gives up and recalculates the route.

I suspect this is because the intitial recalculation is not for the whole of the route but for a segment of it. At some point it seems to realise that you're not going to "turn around when possible" and does a complete recalculation.

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've driven off the original route and want a completely new route, select Alternative Route, then Original in the Navigator menu. I find this sufficiently useful that I have it on a hardware button.

If you don't do this, Navigator will try to get you back onto the original route for a while.

David
rich33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night using Strict (I always do) driving to Coventry, southbound on the M6, I missed the exit I was due to take, J3, so carried on to J2, as instructed. What was bizarre was TomTom told me to get back onto the M6 and go back to J3...from J2 it wasnt actually far to my destination.

On the return trip, get back onto the M6 all the way to J15 Stoke. TomTom kept trying to navigate me off M6 onto the M42 to take me along the A34, much slower ie an hour longer and a further distance...very strange!!

Rich
Ipaq 4150 - Fortuna Clip On BT - Lexar 256mb SD Card / Kingston 256mb SD Card - TomTom Nav 3.05T - Traffic - CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0 - Mapopolis - Memory Map 2004 UK - Brodit Mount - & BT Registry Fix (recommended!)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The behaviour in the first paragraph is explained by my post above - if you'd have chosen "Original" to plan a completely fresh route, the chances are that Navigator would have guided you from junction 2.

The second scenario I have no explanation for.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: