Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Aldi Intergrated PDA - Nov 2004
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Aldi Intergrated PDA - Nov 2004

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenham1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: New Aldi Intergrated PDA - Nov 2004 Reply with quote

Hi

I'm hoping to buy a PDA with GPS and have seen the new Aldi model that comes available tomorrow. Problem is ... the details are scant and there's no model number to compare it with anything else! Does anybody have any further details of it ... is it a good buy or am I wasting my money? How standard is the PDA (can I upgrade it, how does it compare to say the IPAQ 3850?)

Hope you can help a beginner.

Many thanks
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDA is a Mitac Mio 168. This has a built-in GPS receiver, runs at 300Mhz and has 64MB of RAM. It has an SDIO slot, but no Bluetooth or WiFi. The screen is very good and overall it's not a bad unit.

The Aldi deal adds a car-kit, a 256mb storage card and the software.

All in all, it's not a bad deal. The PDA isn't as powerful as, say, an Ipaq 2210 but I've run both side by side and there's no noticable difference.
gadgetmug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only drawback is no replaceable battery.
Mattyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Just brought the Aldi bundle and, so far, I'm impressed with the overall quality and value.
I really want to be able to use it as a speed camera detector but not sure where to start. I've looked at loads of threads on this site but could someone please confirm the following!
Whether POIWarner will work on unit?
How I go about getting database of fixed cameras (or other things) from web and onto pocket pc? Do they have to be in certain format to work with Medion software?
Will the voice/noise warnings just come up or do these have to be added later?

Any help would be really great!! :D
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the Aldi software will run poiwarner. You would need to install tomtom. There is a thread about this on thedvdforums.com. You would have to register to read it though. It is in the computing forum.
Jono
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aldi software certainly will run poi-warner. I'm using it myself.

You need this version:
http://www.navigating.de/Medion4_en/POI/Index.htm

Then this speed camera database:
http://www.pocketgpspoi.com/downloads/pocketgps_uk_sc.zip

You have to convert the .o2v files to .asc format, using this cool little program here:
http://www.dnote.nl/pda/poi/PoiEdit/downloads.htm (download the first link (v3.2)

Next you copy the converted .asc files to your PDA, using the file explorer - you want to copy the .bmp icons over there as well. The location to copy them to is:
My Device\Program Files\POIWarner MN4-Edition\pois

Change a few settings in POI-Warner itself (it's fairly straightforward and self-explanatory, but if you get stuck let us know ;))

And there you go.
Hope that helps Smile
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the mis-information. I thought thats what they said in the other forum I referred him to.
Mattyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Thanks for info, got all software you said, but cannot transfer converted files onto directory in My Device. Nearly there but cannot get last piece right! Crying or Very sad

Any ideas????
Mattyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D All sorted now, DOH!!!
Just taken out for test run and works really well. Is there any way of removing the annoying german womams voice though!
If I wanted to add other POI's would the actions be the same and would I get them from the same site?
Is there a reght sequence when powering up from a cigarette socket, does it matter if unit is plugged in when active, dont want to ruin battery. :D
G1OSE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i just say that the aldi software is CRAP compared to the last one it says things like
"at the and turn left"
it seems to stutter and confuse it self and miss words and every now and again it stops navigating for 10 seconds and kicks back in
why is the newer software worse than the last one????
glenham1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see so many comments to my original query! Thanks to Nej's comments and the review here on pocketgps I bought the Medion PDA and I'm very impressed. It knocks the spots off my old IPAQ3850.

A couple more questions though ...

1) The GPS works fine but the POI's are all muddled up ... we passed a Harvester restaurant and it showed me the "Shell" logo for a garage, and as I drove past my local library up popped the "McDonalds" logo. How do I correct this?

2) The package came with a HUGE waterproof carry case that wouldn't look out of place on an arctic expedition! Can anyone recommend a small neat carry case or wallet that keeps the PDA easy to use and doesn't increase the unit's compact size?

3) What screen protectors would you recommend (and what are they?) - my wife bought a PAlm Tungsten E with a sticky plastic screen protector that bubbled and warped when we tried to stick it on (also got fingerprints on the (very) sticky underside!

Hope you can help. TIA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: