Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fall Back (Tomtom Go Clock)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fall Back (Tomtom Go Clock)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdatkinson wrote:
So they've probably just set it to default to central european time

according to nej it's UTC plus 13 seconds..., not CET

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ZZBeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Not a bug, but..? Reply with quote

Sure it's easy to reset the hours back one, but the question one might then ask is:

If you adjust the time manually, does that prevent or continue to allow the TTG's clock to be continuously "synced" with UTC from the sats? I guess that's one for TT Support...

David
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way that TomTom Navigator does it on the PPC (as far as I can tell) is that it simple adjusts the GPS time (UTC + 13 seconds - well done for paying attention Lutz!) for your local timezone. I would presume that GO does it the same way. This can be demonstrated by simply planning a route. Your arrival time and the current time are shown as correct for your timezone, however if you look at the GPS Status screen that will show GPS time.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life should be a lot easier for the next six months now that we are back in GMT Thumbs Up
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
ZZBeard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Hmm - just a final point (from me) Reply with quote

I live in the UK, and the current timezone is GMT +0, otherwise now known as UTC (Universal Time, Co-ordinated). On the GPS status screen of my TomTomGo at this moment, the little rolling time digits on the top right above the satellite map says 11:47:XX UTC and the little cross thing is clicking round the seconds. Above that is a green banner with the "TomTomGo" time on it. Before displaying the GPS Status screen I had just pressed Set Clock > Sync, and it says now 12:47.

This is an hour ahead of my timezone, and an hour ahead of the indicated UTC. So it does seem that the device defaults to the European UTC+1 time zone. Now I will set the time back one hour and forget about it until the end of March!

David
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you adjust the time manually, does that prevent or continue to allow the TTG's clock to be continuously "synced" with UTC from the sats? I guess that's one for TT Support...

I don't think the TTG'c clock is continuously synched with the sats. If it was, you wouldn't need the 'Sync' button, people would definitely need a Timezone option, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Smile

AFAIK, TTG just resets it's own internal clock with the GPS clock when you press the 'sync' button. After that, it is on its own...
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm - just a final point (from me) Reply with quote

ZZBeard wrote:
I live in the UK, and the current timezone is GMT +0, otherwise now known as UTC (Universal Time, Co-ordinated)
Not strictly true. GMT=UT, but UTC is slightly different -- see http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/UT.html
BoxsterBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought time could be this complex!

So what we need Tomtom to do (after sending me my case and upgrading my map to 390) is to give the user the option to automatically sync to UTC +/- a user definable amount.
sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent an enquiry to TomTom about the sync option, as I have noticed it doesn't synchronise the seconds. I do not subscribe to the 14 seconds out from GMT/UTC theory, as if you check your satelite time against the greenwich time signal - its spot on. (Never use a dab radio for this - there's a time delay). So I want my TomTom to sync, to the second, with the satelite time - I can always set the hour back afterwards - it's the seconds I'm more interested in - anyways this is the question to TomTom -
Quote:
Is there a bug with the sync function in the set time section of change preferences. With a clear view of the sky, I press sync and the time changes to 59 mins and 45 seconds ahead of the satelite time showing on the GPS status screen. I understand that the time zone maybe wrong, but the seconds do not synchronise. Is there and update that fixes this?

And here comes the reply -

Quote:

The sync function will skip the current time one hour ahead as this is related to the world standard satellite time, the best thing to do is to set the time and then leave it.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

No mention of the seconds being out of sync still. Does TomTom ever really read these questions we send them?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitrap wrote:
I do not subscribe to the 14 seconds out from GMT/UTC theory, as if you check your satelite time against the greenwich time signal - its spot on.

GPS time is indeed 14 seconds ahead of UTC as of 1st Jan this year (it was 13 seconds last year).

Your sat nav unit is showing UTC time, not GPS time.
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too shows the correct UTC time in the 'Configure GPS' screen but when I then sync it goes 1 hour forward. Though I live in the UK I bought the unit from Amsterdam Airport and was told it was a Swiss model. So I wonder if it does have some central timezone setting that we can't see?

Anyway another strange thing is that after pressing sync I hit the arrow below the hour to roll back one hour and this worked but it also rolled the minutes back by one minute. Very strange!
sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
sitrap wrote:
I do not subscribe to the 14 seconds out from GMT/UTC theory, as if you check your satelite time against the greenwich time signal - its spot on.

GPS time is indeed 14 seconds ahead of UTC as of 1st Jan this year (it was 13 seconds last year).

Your sat nav unit is showing UTC time, not GPS time.

-Exactly - what lay person would ever care what GPS time is anyway. It's just the wrong time! UTC or GMT is what we are interested in, and that's what the TomTom shows. GPS time as mentioned by TomTom is irrelevant. The TomTom should sync to the UTC time as displayed on the screen, not anything else. They are using GPS time as an excuse for bad programming.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom sync the RIDER to UTC +1. That way, mainland Europe is correct for half the year, and the British Isles (and Portugal, I think?) are correct for half the year.

I have also noticed the 'Minutes' jump by one as well, though.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitrap wrote:
-Exactly

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Embarassed :o
sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the website pointed to by carl_w above, you will be that UTC DOES=GMT, and does = GPS time.

Quote:

UTC is the time distributed by standard radio stations that broadcast time, such as WWV and WWVH. It can also be obtained readily from the Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites. The difference between UTC and UT1 is made available electronically and broadcast so that navigators can obtain UT1. UTC is the basis for civil standard time in the U.S. and its territories. Standard time within U.S. time zones is an integral number of hours offset from UTC.

UT1 is the time as measured astronomically, and is never allowed to differ by more than 0.9 of a second from GMT/UTC. That is when we add a leap second, as we did this year. Whilst is may be true that there have been 14 leap seconds added since the GPS system went into orbit, the satellites are kept synchronised with the world's atomic clocks, and still broadcast UTC, as far as I can tell from this article.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: