Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database Updated - Oct 30th 2004
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database Updated - Oct 30th 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems to be more widespread.

I tried to install the TT3 update. Downloaded ok but when i clicked to run it. A different exe file launched. A previous Setup.exe which i had left was re-installed!!!
This rtime i went straight to the registry and deleted the MRU values. Hey presto it worked.

so a quick search uneasrthed the following..er helpful ?? note from Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q142298

Subsequently i found a program called MRU Blaster from the PCworld site.

Surely there is a reason for this problem Does anyone have a clue?
Paul
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have the files split.

Excuse me if this a dumb question, but are the small cubes (sometimes 4) you see on pedestrian crossings (abd I thinkTraffic signals) cameras or what?

Does the new Traffic signal file refer to GATSO type or are they fixed to the sigmals themselves?

Depending on the answer I may have a supplementary question.

Cheers

Alan
brisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: updating speed camera database Reply with quote

I am in desperate need of help I have ttnavigator 3 and at the moment I am definitely on a learning curve. the latest gps speed camera database comes with a warning to exsisting user to "disable old poi in ttnav and poi notification software and re-add new ones"
I need an idiots guide on how to disable the poi and I have no idea where the poi notification software is !!
Any one with a lot of patience please help! I am desperate
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: updating speed camera database Reply with quote

brisan wrote:

I need an idiots guide on how to disable the poi and I have no idea where the poi notification software is !!
Any one with a lot of patience please help! I am desperate

Hang in there Brisan, we have all been there.

From the Map Mode tap File/Properties OR from Navigator Mode, tap screen and then Properties Icon OR More Icon until you find it.

Tap POI tab.

If you want POI to appear then make sure the top item "Show points of interest" is checked then scroll the list checking the POIs you actually want to show.

With regard to the OLD camera database you need to UNCHECK "pocket gps uk sc" otherwise you will get double/false icons showing. Obviously, now make sure you have the new database(s) checked.

Any probs, let me know.
tomjeffs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: 2 cameras spotted not in database Reply with quote

I was driving through London yesterday, spotted 2 cameras that aren't in the database:

000^06'47" W
051^27'12" N

Camera is on Tulse Hill, near Brailsford Road, and is a bright yellow GATSO, 30mph. The second camera is at:

000^06'21" W
051^25'09" N

Camera is on Beulah Hill, near Norbury Hill, bright yellow GATSO, 30mph.
commando
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: downloads for tomtomgo Reply with quote

did u get my mess or did i not do it properly my email add is.
harryhassall@hotmail.com nickname commando.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanparrott wrote:
Great to have the files split.

Excuse me if this a dumb question, but are the small cubes (sometimes 4) you see on pedestrian crossings (abd I thinkTraffic signals) cameras or what?

Does the new Traffic signal file refer to GATSO type or are they fixed to the sigmals themselves?

Depending on the answer I may have a supplementary question.

Cheers

Alan

As these are quite often on crossings near schools I have always assumed that they are used to record video in case there is an accident. On the other hand they could be motion/headlight sensors to aid traffic flow.

Does anyone know for certain?

The file pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2 is for the Gatso cameras placed at red-light sites.

Richard
hogbreath
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,

Liked the review - am assuming tt access via the "today logo" will not be possible due to this pointing to one location?

Hope this make sense.

Pete
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A requirement of my job is that I spend a day with an Advanced Driving instructor, supposedly within the first few weeks, did it last week and only been their 4 years.

The reason for my post is that the guy I was with is involved with the police and other authorities on a number of traffic safety schemes. i felt it wise not to mention speed camera detection equipment.

He was telling me about the new pedestrian crossings that are now in use and this included the type mentioned above.

Forgive me if I cannot remember the exact details as it was a very busy day but I believe what he said was :-

The 1st sensor looks at the area around the button, when the button has ben pressed it scans this area for a pedestrian, if it doesn't sense anyone it will not change the lights.

When it is happy there is someone there the 2nd / 3rd sensors scan the traffic each way looking for a reasonable gap in the traffic in which to operate the lights, obviously if the traffic has no gaps it will then operate the lights anyway.

The last sensor scans the crossing itself and will not clear the lights until the pedestrian has cleared the crossing irrespective of the length of time they take, this is to assist elderly or disabled pedestrians.

These new crossings are classed as intelligent crossings and as the equipment fails at the older pelican crossings they should be replaced with the new type.

That's as I remember it, shoot me down if i am wrong

Regards

Alan :D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a description of a Puffin (Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent) crossing. I have a feeling that new Pelican crossings are not permitted; where a Pelican crossing would previously have been installed, a Puffin crossing is now used.

For what it's worth, I hold a RoSPA Advanced Drivers' Association silver grade. I really need to get out with some observers before too long and take his test again; RoADA require three yearly retests and I'm outside that, but have been allowed a deferral for health reasons, so I still have my grading. I do recommend RoADA - if you go into it with the right attitude, you can learn a lot and improve your driving for very little outlay.

David
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Pelican's - Puffins - Toucans and another one I cannot remember.

What you have said is what he told me that the new intelligent crossings have to be used when a pelican needs replacing.

There was something about one for horse riders so they do not need to dismount and one type where cyclists are ok to ride across.

The other thing he said which i had not really noticed was that the new crossings do not have the flashing amber light as per pelicans.

Re: your comments about advanced driving I found it a very interesting and enjoyable day

Regards

Alan Smile
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toucans are the crossings that have facilities for cyclists.

Puffins are replacing Pelicans - as you say, there's no flashing amber. This is in part because the law forbids a flashing amber for anything but a Pelican, also when a Puffin finishes the crossing cycle, the crossing should be clear.

Don't forget Zebra crossings.

I don't think the crossings that have facilities for those riding horses have an 'animal' name, but I could be wrong. If there is an 'animal' name, it's not in the Highway Code in the version that I remember.

David
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanparrott wrote:

Excuse me if this a dumb question, but are the small cubes (sometimes 4) you see on pedestrian crossings (and I thinkTraffic signals) cameras or what?

Alan

Hi guys, so for the purposes of my question, do we assume these do not have cameras?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devices on the crossing apparatus itself are not speed or red light cameras - once you've had a good look at a Puffin crossing, you get a good idea of what they look like. There's usually two sensor heads atop each set of lights - one directed at the crossing, one directed at the traffic.

It's possible that there may be a pedestrian crossing somewhere (other than a Zebra) that has a red light camera on it - but a red light camera is a fairly obvious separate piece of kit. Usually red light cameras are on traffic lights that protect junctions.

Similarly, Trafficmaster 'blue poles' are not speed cameras (at least not the sort that issues speeding tickets) - nor are most roadside CCTV installations examples of SPECS.

David
boggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we due an update soon?

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: