Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2004? - what's this all about?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2004? - what's this all about?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caspartfg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Navigator 2004? - what's this all about? Reply with quote

Dear valued customer,

TomTom is proud to announce the availability of Navigator 2004 for the Microsoft Pocket PC platform. Navigator 2004 features a totally re-designed, easier-to-use application interface with improved, expanded and updated maps.

Navigator 2004's commands are now accessible through a single 3-D Navigator view. Utilizing your mobile device's touch screen; any of Navigator 2004's navigation, addressing or preference functions are available by simply selecting the corresponding on-screen icon.

With street names displayed on-screen, Navigator 2004 enables you to reference crossing streets by name making navigation to your destination simpler and more worry free.

Navigator 2004 enables you to create individualized Points of Interest and classify them into categories of your choice allowing for enhanced personalization of your application.

Updated maps of the United States include expanded turn-by-turn coverage, a new Major Roads of America map that allows coast to coast route planning as well as regional and country map(s) of Canada.

For customers who have activated Navigator USA since August 14, the upgrade is free of charge. All other Navigator USA customers have the opportunity to upgrade at a special price of $53 which includes shipping and handling.

For more information regarding the Navigator 2004 upgrade, please go to:
http://upgrade.tomtom.com/ttn3_upgrade/index.php

To determine your upgrade eligibility and process an order, please go to:
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4

Best regards,

The TomTom team.

Thank you for reading TomTom News! If you rather not receive TomTom's newsletters, please click here.

Copyright © 2004 TomTom BV. All rights reserved.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the rendering engine 4 (as used on the Palm TT Mobile, and the GO). It also looks like some of the "expert" features like Lat/Lon, Area avoid etc, have been left out (as on the GO) - either because they aren't yet implemented in the new engine or because TomTom consciously cut them out to save support costs.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Kawolski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed TomTom about this and here is what they said:

"This is only available in the US and will not be avialable in Europe. More information regarding a possible upgrade for Navigator 3 will be made available next year."
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same email.

Surely TomTom should be able to email only their US customers and not get our hopes up unecessarily.

Sad Sad
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this confirms it, next March is the next major update for Navigator, they need to work hard as the competition is over taking them, map updates & new icons won't wash this time.

I'll start a new thread, Navigator V4 New Functionallity...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that new maps will actually "wash it" - they are long overdue.

You may want to call your new thread "What's missing from Navigator 4 that was present in Navigator 3"...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mizio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Navigator 2004 Reply with quote

Hi,
I have currently version 2.22 running (actually crawling) on my Casio E-125. Does anyone know if Navigator 2004 will run on this PDA? It is not listed in their approved PDA's so I wonder.

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically they will have compilations for non-ARM processors, but it won't be any faster than your current version, so don't hold your breath.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upgraded yesterday, can't wait for it to come! The thing I'm looking forward to the most is the labeling of the streets in Navigator View, which would help alot in navigating. They said it's shipping within 20 days, so I guess there's nothing else to do but to wait. :D
georgeCASE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here. I am eligible for the free upgrade. Smile

It is nice that they now include street names on the map. And I guess the updated maps are a welcome addition, too. Another feature it says is the ability to rotate the screen 90 degrees, so you can have a landscape format view. I dont know how well this will work out. I'll just have to wait and report back here for my impressions.

One thing that got me excited is the mention of "major freeways for the entire US" map, which, though i believe wont get you to the front door of your destination, but will get you to the proper state. But, lo and behold, it says its only for the Palm version of TTN. Is it such a big difference that they couldn't implement it on Pocket PCs as well?
OhBuggerit2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity street names on maps is not currently available to UK users. I switched to Navigons MN4 because of this. I emailed TomTom at the time as they responded that it was low down their list of priorities because users "did not feel the need for it". Crying or Very sad

I prefer TomTom but navigating London a lot requires street names in navigation mode in my humble opinion.
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody in the US got the new Navigator yet, been waiting more than 20 days for it... can't wait any longer Sad
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Got mine today Reply with quote

Creation wrote:
anybody in the US got the new Navigator yet, been waiting more than 20 days for it... can't wait any longer Sad

Very different from 2.0. it seems they have greatly simplified the GUI so that your fingers will operate everything including the preferences.

Eight CD's and more maps. Seems to be larger regional coverage plus a nationwide map covering major highways and another covering major cities.

Fewer preferences and customizations.

Still no altitude readout.

I haven't had it on the road yet.
Creation
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schneid- tell us about it when you have a chance to use it on the road 8) Still waiting for mine... When did you get yours btw?
stepank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted it at gpspassion, so I just copy and paste:

I got update of TomTom. I have some excitements and some disappointments about this new product. 3D view is just amazing. I think it will become benchmark in PDA navigation. All other are just disappointments. They removed most of the stuff from original version of ttn2 and offered it as ttn4. In new version is missing: Avoid area, assignment function to hardware, any custom setting from advance tab in ttn2, integration with contacts. Instead of distance to destination, we have current time now. GPS driver is awful, it is just wizard, which doesn’t allow you to setup your GPS. I was needed to reinstall twice app in order to get connection to GPS. I didn’t try routing algorithm yet, but I hope they fix it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: