Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Missing some voice (TTS) instructions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing some voice (TTS) instructions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Missing some voice (TTS) instructions Reply with quote

Does anyone else have these same problems?

I use copilot 5 and text-to-speech male voice. The problem happens all of the time despite several re-installations of the software and installing the patch from ALK.

The problem is best described by giving an example.
Suppose I plan a trip where I go onto a motorway (M4) at junction 37 and leave at junction 32. When I am on the slip road to join the motorway at juction 37, the voice and display say 'just ahead take J 32 then ...'. When I get on the motorway the display shows 'J 32 in 25 miles'. I then receive NO further voice instructions until I either turn off J 32 myself (without voice prompts) or miss the turn and it recalculates the route.

I hope this makes sense - it will if you are having the same problem! It is very annoying because on long motorway journeys you get no voice prompts to exit the motorway.

Please reply so I know I am not the only one getting this problem. I have contacted ALK and they are looking into the problem but could not tell me if they knew if anyone else was getting the same problem.

Hope someone can help.

Copilot Live 5
HP iPAQ 2210
Haicom CF GPS
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this may be an issue with the map data for the M4 or that particular junction.

Does it happen at a lot of other locations ?
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was just an example, it seems to happen all of the time, not only on motorways. It would have to be a problem with a lot of South Wales - I have not tried it outside Wales yet but will be soon. Has anyone else noticed this problem in South Wales?
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gave up with the tts and went back to wav. many times it fails to instruct me on when to turn off on roundabouts.. i just use tomtom again now for most journeys and use CoPilot for places not found in the database etc.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the female wave voice, and sometimes I don't get voice instructions on roundabouts. The screen shows correct written instructions, so it's not a mapping issue.
I reported the same fault when testing the beta version of CP5, but it still happens in the released version
Robin
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know since the update it speaks less but the TTS has never missed a turn so far
Johan_IE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto for me.

I find that when two directions are close together (less than half a mile), that some directions are missed by TTS, although they do display on screen. Still it is a headache in and around cities.

Johan
Taxman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: lack of instructions Reply with quote

I've been using CP5 with a HX4700 and Pretec mini BT and so far have not had any problems regarding TTS instructions. Recently travelled from Telford to Teesside via Bury and had instructions for all motorway interchanges and slip roads (M54, M6, M62, M60, M66, M62, M1, A1(M)). It even coped well when having to do a detour due to the M62 being blocked - it gave the same instructions as the diversion! :D Well pleased with CP - apart from some frustration in putting in destinations when CP doesnt have the required street. Then you have to do a bit of guess work before setting off. Rolling Eyes
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Missing some voice (TTS) instructions Reply with quote

Rabdo wrote:
Does anyone else have these same problems?

I use copilot 5 and text-to-speech male voice. The problem happens all of the time despite several re-installations of the software and installing the patch from ALK.

The problem is best described by giving an example.
Suppose I plan a trip where I go onto a motorway (M4) at junction 37 and leave at junction 32. When I am on the slip road to join the motorway at juction 37, the voice and display say 'just ahead take J 32 then ...'. When I get on the motorway the display shows 'J 32 in 25 miles'. I then receive NO further voice instructions until I either turn off J 32 myself (without voice prompts) or miss the turn and it recalculates the route.

I have had exactly the same problem several times now travelling via the M25. I think I had the problem again on the M3 but I was not paying much attention at the time. Sounds like a bug in the software since the map knows the right distance to the exit.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
keeps54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Motorway spoken instructions error Reply with quote

Aha, I've just posted this on another thread as I'd not found this one:

Quote:
I've also noticed a bug sometimes in joining motorways which I've not noticed mentioned anywhere else on these forums. CoPilot instructs you to join the slip road from the roundabout and just before you get onto the motorway itself from the slip road CoPilot then instructs you to take the next exit/direction change "just ahead". On the display that exit or direction change is displayed as 12.3 miles ahead (or whatever distance it is). As you complete those miles you don't get the countdown to that change as CoPilot has already issued it's "just ahead" warning.
I've found that by asking for a detour and then cancelling it gets it back in sync with the road again but that's a pain.
micks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem with my newly bought CP5. I have done a hard reset on my iPAQ 3630 an re-installed but the problem has not gone away. Also, if POI warnings are enabled, they tend to work for a few miles then dissappear. It only starts to work again after a soft reset. Any ideas?

[I've also noticed a bug sometimes in joining motorways which I've not noticed mentioned anywhere else on these forums. CoPilot instructs you to join the slip road from the roundabout and just before you get onto the motorway itself from the slip road CoPilot then instructs you to take the next exit/direction change "just ahead". On the display that exit or direction change is displayed as 12.3 miles ahead (or whatever distance it is). As you complete those miles you don't get the countdown to that change as CoPilot has already issued it's "just ahead" warning.
I've found that by asking for a detour and then cancelling it gets it back in sync with the road again but that's a pain.][/quote]
Bigwig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had the same problem where it will give you the next instruction as you are on the sliproad for a motorway or A road as "just ahead ..." even though the next turn is miles away. Then it won't give you the instruction when you get to the turn. I'm using the male text to speach voice.

I've found a fix is to switch to navigating mode for a second after you are on the motorway then go back to guidance mode.
NigelL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm 3630... wouldn't be a memory issue would it?
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run mine on a 2210, 512mb CF card and BT Clipon without a problem. The voice does some odd things on occiasions but they have mainly been due to road changes where a roundabout has appeared when it used to be a "bear left on A46" type road. There are an amazing amount of strange errors that some people are experiencing so maybe its the hardware but even that would be a difficult one.
Snowy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Missing Voice Announcements/Slip Rd Issues. Reply with quote

I have been using my Mitac Mio168 & CoPilot5 since the beginning of Jan and as a service engineer clocking up and average of 1200miles a week, I can confirm that CoPilot does not always produce voice announcements, particularly whilst travelling any distance along a Motorway or Dual Carriageway.

For other Mio168 users, I have found setting the battery setting to superior mode doe improve the situation a little but doe not eliminate the problem. Wink

Re POI alerts - I have found that their a number of 'holes' in the map data (ie Hinckley town centre - M69 The voice instructions stop and the display just says Roundabout until the M69). After passing through one of these holes, your POIs will stop working and this is possibly the reason why people are reporting missing POIs after a few miles. Unfortunately for me my POI alerts fail to work from the onset of a journey but I have found away of kick starting them. After setting off, open Tools/Options/POI and then just click OK. This appears to start the POI alerts until I hit one of these holes and then the same procedure will restart them. Trouble is you don't know where the holes are and this is not a safe procedure whilst driving! Rolling Eyes

Like most people, I find the most frustrating element of CoPilot the very poor technical support service. Though I'm sure individuals are trying their best and are under pressure, a little courtesy and feedback would go along way. Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: