Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quick Question - latitude/longitude entry using Co-Pilot sm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick Question - latitude/longitude entry using Co-Pilot sm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seancraig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Quick Question - latitude/longitude entry using Co-Pilot sm Reply with quote

Can you enter a lat/long using Co-Pilot smartphone and route to it whilst walking?

Reason is I'd like to have a go at Geocaching and want to know if Co-Pilot smartphone will do as a starting point.

TIA
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see a way of entering a location by lat/long on the phone. However, you can by using the desktop app and creating a new POI with the lat/long coordinates.
seancraig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply fozzie Smile
still can't decide what to buy <sigh>
more pondering required I think
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure out a way to do it on my one, I don't think it can be done.

CoPilot is a buggy but pretty reasonable system for Street Navigation, but that is pretty much all it does. If you want something primarily for Geocaching, then don't get CoPilot!

Mapopolis (you can download it and try it for free) allows you to add a waypoint using Menu->Find->Lattitude/Longtitude but I don't know if it does "Off Road" routing. Confused

What you really want is something like Fugawi or Memory map or some program where you can scan in your own map and use that for off road routing. There are plenty of these for the PPC but I don't know if they have reached the Smartphone yet.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment it's not possible. There will be a new release soon (hopefully) that will allow you to pinpoint a location on the map, but I don't believe any lat/long feature, but I'll see if I can persuade ALK to put this in.
seancraig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dave :D

I'm reasonably settled on using copilot smartphone for the car but I think i'm going to have to get either a handheld gpsr (geko 201,Garmin GPSMAP 60CS, etc etc) or an ipaq 2210 with gpstuner and gpxsonar for geocaching.

But im still fumbling around a bit so who knows...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got some money to still burn then I'd highly recommend a GPSMap 60CS or a GPSMap76CS. These are both colour and the S denotes 'S'ensor so you have a barometric altimeter and an electronic compass (the compass isn't a GPS compass that requires you to be moving).

If you can't afford these then plump for a regular old eTrex or Geko if you want something really small.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seancraig wrote:
I'm reasonably settled on using copilot smartphone for the car but I think i'm going to have to get either a handheld gpsr (geko 201,Garmin GPSMAP 60CS, etc etc) or an ipaq 2210 with gpstuner and gpxsonar for geocaching.

How about a basic Garmin like the etrex for caching and one of these Bluetooth car kits for use with your Smartphone: http://www.semsons.com/bluetcarchar1.html

Might be the best of both worlds? Smile

Or if you are spending a bit of money, the features available in the Quest http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/ or 60CS would blow the socks off anything available for the Smartphone (but at a higher price).

CoPilot is street routing ONLY whereas the Garmin is equally happy on the water, in a plane, walking or driving. Garmin have been in this business for years and their hardware and software is very good, rugged and waterproof - ideal for outdoors or street routing. The drawback is that the street maps can be expensive and you are locked into using Garmin's maps and software.

I brought a Smartphone, BT GPS and CoPilot. I miss having the features of the Garmin but the convience of the smartphone and total cost of Phone+BTGPS+CoPilot were the selling points.

Good luck deciding!
fozzie63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Geko 301 for Geocaching; great little device with altimeter and electronic compass Smile
seancraig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered the copilot smartphone/Fortuna Clipon/Vent mount bundle for the car.

Skippy thanks for the info about the car kits though :D

As for the geocaching i'm being drawn towards the Garmin 60cs but the geko 201/301 does seem to to do most of the same things for a lot less cash.

I understand that the 60cs has a "geocaching mode" anyone know if its useful?
seancraig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to thank fozzie Smile

One more thing is that does the performance of the geko 201/301 differ that much from the 60cs whilst caching given that I won't need to use the 60cs for car navigation.

Thanks for all your advice.

Much appreciated

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: