Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom2 and Bluetooth GPS - Automatic connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom2 and Bluetooth GPS - Automatic connection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the popup is completely independent of the GPS receiver. It's part of the BlueTooth Manager for WM2003, so theoretically it should affect the 4150 as well.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: What exactly do people mean by automatic connection Reply with quote

This may sound like a stupid question but what exactly do people mean in this thread when they say automatic connection to the bluetooth GPS? I can clearly see that some people talk about manually activating bluetooth and then, when starting TomTom, it connects automatically to the GPS. That is what I do. Does anyone have TomTom automatically activating bluetooth as well as connecting through bluetooth to the GPS? (I keep bluetooth switched off on my ipaq when I'm not using it to keep battery drain down and it is mildly annoying having to start bluetooth when I get in the car and then stop it again when I have finished using TomTom.)

I have vague memories that when I first TomTom up on my iPaq it would do this but that I lost this functionality at some point. Then again I may be dreaming Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the automatic connection means is that once enabled you simply launch Tomtom and it connects to the BT GPS receiver and begins communication without any user intervention either to select the correct BT Device from the BT Browser or to manually initiate the BT Connection before hand as you do.

FWIW, PPC2002 operated in just this fashion but since the arrival of WM2003 the method of operation for accessing BT devices changed and for those whose only BT Serial Devices is a BT GPS it's annoying to have to manually select the GPS each time the application is launched, or if using a TomTom BT GPS in its cradle, each time the engine is switched on/off (as the cradle automatically switches on/off the BT GPS when this happens).
jy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying about WM2003 and this, I think, is the issue of the BT browser popping up which seems to have been solved in these forums by the registry entry change.

I am probably being dim here but are you saying that if my installation was working perfectly I should not have to turn on bluetooth on my ipaq first (ie that TomTom should do this itself)?

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, turning BlueTooth on and off on a PocketPC remains a manual task. I noticed that some COM port scans (when the applications try to find the GPS automatically) do have an effect on a sleeping BT stack, but it's rather destructive - the blue LED starts flashing quickly, and I need to toggle it manually anyhow (this is on a 2002 iPAQ 3970)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under WM2003 (iPaq 5550), it's one of those things that has not been well thought out at all.

When you start the BT manager, it will turn BT on for you automatically. So when TomTom invokes the manager, on comes BT. But, as soon as you select a device, the manager closes, and BT is turned off again, automatically!

It's crazy - what's the point of turning BT on when the manager is started, if selecting a device causes it to disconnect imediately?!!

Of course, even if that did work correctly, you'd lose the fascility if you applied the reg hack, because with that the manager is never invoked at all.

Mark
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I've long thought it would be so much simpler if the BT (and wifi) on/off switch on iPaqs was a hardware switch on the side. Don't Toshibas have that?
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This free piece of software is an easier way to get your ipaq to autoconnect to your GPS device :D
Rmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Autoconnect Reply with quote

I have had my GPS system for approx 4 weeks - works well except for autoconnect - I have to manually go to GPS Status/GPS and tick retick the Comm8 box to get it to speak to the TT BT Rx - I disconect TT3 by exit etc - I have downloaded BTreg tweak and still it wont autoconnect - I have tried downloading the REG Editor from www.phm.lu site and installed but cannot get into the editor to work - it wants me to deinstall BTREGTWEAK or install all the time - no real editor - any suggestions - I guess you must all be sick of this problem by now going by the content on this forum - no help from TT - tried E mailing several times but just get ignored - pity this product is marred by niggles

I also get lockups sometimes on going into Nav from map - starts re-calculating route and gets into an infinite loop which can only be got out of by soft reset.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When set-up and configured properly it should all work fine. What PocketPC do you have and what GPS?
Rmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply Darren
I have an IPAQ 2210, Tom Tom BT receiver and TT3.03 - when I install the Reg Edit prog and run setup I go straight to the add/remove PDA progs menu and it highlights BTregtweak which I have installed as if it wants to remove it - I do not get the proper edit window - must be doing something wrong??
Cheers
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, firstly it may be easier to start afresh (do you have any other BT devices bonded?) by performing a hard-reset then re-installing TTN3 with the latest updates for the application and GPS.

If you're not happy with the prospect of a hard reset then as a minimum I suggest the following:

1. Run BTRegTweak and have it reset the registry mod to the default.
  2. Uninstall BTRegTweak.
  3. Soft Reset.
  4. Delete the BT GPS Bond.
  5. Bond again with the GPS, using '0000' as the key.
  6. Launch TomTom and it should connect to the BT GPS without any further interaction required.

appledell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erling,

I too am a newby and I am getting exactly the same problem with BT as you were.

Could you please talk me through the steps required to carry out the reg hack?

Many,many thanks in advance
Steuart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beinb a newbire and not used to programming language can someone explain how I do this edit?

The thread states:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Autoconnect\000x
(000x is 0008 for com8 )
add an entry (DWORD)

Do I enter (type)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Autoconnect\0008
or
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BtConfig\Autoconnect\000x

and where do I type in (DWORD)?

NAVMAN icn530

iPAQ 2210: Sandisk 1Gb SD card, Holux GR230,
TTNav3.07 (442), CheckPOInt 2.0.2, BtRegTweak
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a Registry Editor for this - if you don't have one (such as with Resco Explorer), there's the free PHM Registry Editor.

Hopefully the rest becomes obvious when you have a Registry Editor installed. As always, you edit the Registry at your own risk - there's no problem if you follow the instructions, but if you make a mistake, you may need to hard reset the Pocket PC.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: