Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M6 Toll... yet again!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M6 Toll... yet again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
BAD news.... <blah-blah-blah>
As a thought, this is very similar to food sell by dates ? I've just purchased a new map and the map data is past it's sell by date.....

What I find amusing is that you have 70-odd posts on this forum, almost all of them are about how crappy TomTom is, but you are still buying their products. Are you some kind of a masochist? Or just a bit stu.. simple?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichXDA2 wrote:
Personally I think this is disgraceful as even if you buy a new TT3 you still get the old maps.

Perhaps this site could petition Tom Tom to issue an update. Preferably for free if you bought TT3 after the updated maps were available but I get the impression that most people wouldn't mind paying a small upgrade fee!

This is absolutely no different than any other manuacturer. Most manufacturers have multiple products out. Just because Navman have brought out a PiN 100 part way through the year, it doesn't have updated maps. Same goes for Siemens VDO, Becker, CoPilot, the list goes on and on.

What I will say is TomTom's judgement on the M6 toll road was wrong and they will learn from this mistake. When the team met with TomTom at CeBit, we explained it VERY heavily that not having the M6 toll road in the software WOULD be a problem, yet TomTom chose to ignore this and not delay the product by another month. Delaying would cost TomTom dearly in lost sales because of other application like Navman SmartST V2 coming out. For TomTom to upgrade maps now would cost TomTom extensively in license costs to TeleAtlas. Morally whether they should do it is another matter.

SpeedCam wrote:
As a thought, this is very similar to food sell by dates ? I've just purchased a new map and the map data is past it's sell by date.....

Sell by dates on food are there for a reason, to stop you getting food poisoning if the product has gone past it's sell by date and should not be consumed. The map data isn't past it's sell by date. There's already several thousand roads been re-driven in the last couple of months, no GPS company has these at present, does that mean that all GPS products are obsolete because they don't have these 1000+ roads on them ? Roads are constantly evolving and new ones opened daily, just because some roads aren't on a map doesn't make it useless and "beyond it's sell by date".

amcluesent wrote:
Use the EU distance selling law and send the goods back within the 7 day cooling off period, no questions asked.

I'd like to see you try. Distance Selling laws excludes perishable items, Music CD's, DVD's and Software. Some retailers may accept it back, but most won't.
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I'd like to see you try.<

Doh! Rolling Eyes I forgot about that exclusion...How about rejecting the goods as not of merchantable quality (for which your credit card issuer is jointly liable) or claiming that a misreprestation of the spec. was an inducement to buy? TomTom's claim of a "The total navigation solution" hardly squares with a significant omission of the UK's motorway network!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Providing it says it supports the M6 toll road on the box, then you'll be okay Wink
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now now guys, thats enough.
Are the rules not applicable here.
garyparson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amcluesent wrote:
But, a friend who has done this reports that scrolling about the map is noticably slower than before and it can sometimes take an age to pop-up the location description when you tap the screen. I suppose the TT3 engine is a generation behing TTGo, so it's struggling a bit Sad

Not that I'd do this of course but I'd say it wasn't slower on a Dell Axim X5.
SteveM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that makes me laugh is the quote from their website...

Quote:
The very latest maps with excellent street number coverage

Latest maps from what? Certainly not the latest maps compared to their competition and not the latest maps in relation to their other products.

Funny Laughing

http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=2&Language=1
r6man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a friend who has done this reports that scrolling about the map is noticably slower than before and it can sometimes take an age to pop-up the location description when you tap the screen. I suppose the TT3 engine is a generation behing TTGo, so it's struggling a bit Sad

I just tried this on a very old iPaq 3760 and it works very well. No issues with performance whatsoever.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r6man wrote:
Quote:
a friend who has done this reports that scrolling about the map is noticably slower than before and it can sometimes take an age to pop-up the location description when you tap the screen. I suppose the TT3 engine is a generation behing TTGo, so it's struggling a bit Sad

I just tried this on a very old iPaq 3760 and it works very well. No issues with performance whatsoever.

No performance issues on the 2210 either
JoeFruitBat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone tell me what I need to do after finding a Tomtom Go map?

It keeps saying point to a valid tomtom 3 map?

Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop! Attempting to use a TomTom Go map on TomTom Navigator 3 is a almost certainly a breach of the licence conditions on the Go map. TomTom have indicated that to install the Go 390 map on a Go supplied with the 314 map is illegal - read this page as far as Dave's comment. You are wishing to use a map from one TomTom product on a different TomTom product - which was shakier, legally speaking, to start with.

In the light of this, we cannot permit any discussion about any ways it may be possible to use a map from TomTom Go maps on TomTom Navigator 3.

It is frustrating that there are no maps available from TomTom for Navigator 3 that contain M6 Toll. The best I can offer is a work-round, which is to turn off guidance when taking M6 Toll, and to turn it back on when leaving M6 Toll - this is easier if you assign Turn Guidance OFF to a hardware button.

I expect there will be an update to Navigator in a few months' time that will contain new maps; historically TomTom have released updates every year.

David
Madkitty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for you!

Dear Rebecca,

I am sorry you are not happy with your TomTom product.

TomTom has a policy of releasing its products on a yearly cycle with the most up to date map data that is available at the time. TomTom Navigator 3 was released in March 2004 and this was the case for this product when it was released. TomTom GO was not released until June 2004 and so was able to ship with a later release of map data.

The map data we receive from TeleAtlas is for the whole of Europe and has to undergo extensive processing and testing before it can be released in a commercial product.

It has also been TomTom’s policy to always support all of our customers with application and map upgrades, and as TomTom Navigator 3 is approaching a year old you can expect map and application upgrades for this product to be made available very soon.

I apologise you have been inconvenienced by this problem with the map data. As I mentioned before we endeavour to make sure all our customers have the latest map data available but this can only be done on a yearly cycle because of the huge amount of work involved in producing, testing and distributing map releases.

To address your last point, we did do a map upgrade with the release of TomTom Navigator 3 in March 2004 so you will never have to wait more than one year. I assure you that the particular problem you refer to will be addressed in the forthcoming application and map upgrade programme.

Regards
Mark Gretton

TomTom Navigator 3
HP Ipaq 1940
512mb SD card
Checkpoint
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madkitty wrote:

TomTom:
To address your last point, we did do a map upgrade with the release of TomTom Navigator 3 in March 2004 so you will never have to wait more than one year. I assure you that the particular problem you refer to will be addressed in the forthcoming application and map upgrade programme.

.. which strongly implies that there'll be a new release in March 2005 and that it'll include the M6 toll road (which, coincientally, I used for the first time last weekend - bliss!).

Thanks for the update

Glenn.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is in line with what we've been saying in the forums for a while. Previous announcements of new versions of TomTom Navigator for the Pocket PC have come at CeBIT for Europe, though upgrading customers often have to wait until late March or April to get their upgrades. The upgrades have been new maps together with new software.

I've no inside information, but I wouldn't be surprised if TomTom follow the same approach again.

TomTom, these days, follow a "common platform" to software development - they announced this at last year's CeBIT. Apart from TomTom Navigator 3 on the Pocket PC, all their products are based on a common software base. There has been a "common platform" release of Navigator for the Pocket PC - but the European version of that is only available bundled with a new iPAQ.

TomTom announced TomTom Mobile 5 at 3GSM in Cannes; it's likely that the new features in TomTom Mobile 5 will be in the next Pocket PC version of TomTom Navigator for Europe.

CeBIT is only about three weeks away now.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: