Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell BT GPS and Dell X30/624mHZ problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell BT GPS and Dell X30/624mHZ problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areiss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Dell BT GPS and Dell X30/624mHZ problem Reply with quote

When setting up navigation to a destination the navigation software freezes when trying to select "Detours". The screen comes up but after selecting one or multiple detours the software freezes. No other applications are running. The maps are on a 256SD and only take up about 115MGs. Both soft resets and one hard reset/software reload did not help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex, got your gear?

What software is it?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
areiss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Finally received my Dell stuff after about a month's delay. As best as I can make out the navigation software is a Netropa Corp. product. The receiver although labeled Dell BT is Model BT 309 manufactured by GlobalSat/Rayming Corp. for Dell. The maps are Navteq. Have sent an e-mail to Netropa support yesterday but no reply just yet.

Anyway no matter how many times I tried once the destination selected and the navigation activated the software freezed when trying to input a detour. Without the detour the navigation seems to behave correctly. Have to say that I have not yet taken it out on the road. The receiver gets a reasonable signal from inside my home when placed next to the window. Locks on 3 to 4 satelites. The Dell manual only briefly instructs on how to input detours.

Best regards to you.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should download the Mapopolis test version and see if you have the same problem there (i'd guess not)

Netropa is the engine provider, the programs themselves are normally called Intellinav or Socket navigator or Deluo Routis or PrymeNav. You won't have any luck with Netropa tech support - but probably not much more with Dell's support either.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
areiss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Will check out Mapopolis. Have sent an e-mail to PrymeNav as I read in a review that is the engine used.

Thanks again for your helpful advice.
areiss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

I got some response from Dell Support which was not really that helpful. In fact they had me download a ROM "upgrade" which turned out to be an earlier version that came with the X30. Fortunately during the setup it warned me that I was about to load the earlier version. Am checking to see if the earlier ROM may be the better choice. After a hard reset and reloading the navigation software I still had the Detour freezing problem. I played around a little and did make the Detour work on shorter routes, about 25miles. I came to the conclusion that the software just doesn't handle longer routes such as 80miles or more. The recalculation just bogs down and freezes.

On your suggestion I downloaded the free navigation software and some trial maps from Mapopolis and have to say that I am very impressed. Too many better/user friendly features to go into detail here. I will test drive both but am seriously looking into buying Mapopolis, particularly since they have European maps as well. I downloaded a couple of European maps of areas that I am familiar with and found them to be very accurate both as maps and navigation to destinations that I am familiar with. Need to play around a little to see how to store maps on my SD that are accessible by the X30.

On reflection I may have been better off getting the X30 alone and buying the GPS receiver and/or software separately.

Thanks for the tip.
Alex

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: