Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the filename contains a number then POIloader uses that and ignores the file contents. That's why my Converter switches the filenames from 50 to fifty.

Then in the GPX 'proximity' tag sits the yards from the camera you want your warning.

Having run the Converter, (full instructions in the download package), it just needs a quick find and replace:

Find say "#50" or "@50" and replace with "" (nothing). That will be using Notepad on the GPX file.

If that works I can build that into the Converter.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
npr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
If the filename contains a number then POIloader uses that and ignores the file contents. That's why my Converter switches the filenames from 50 to fifty.

Are you sure? This site suggests the @speed in the file takes precedence over any speed in the file name. Is it possible to double check please.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating_custom_poi_files.jsp

Quote:
"For example, a POI named "SpeedZone@30" will have an alert speed of 30 even if the filename is “SpeedZone_20” and manual mode is set to 20."

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you will find that you talking to the undisputed Garmin POI black belt seventh dan here. And if K says that't what happens, then I would suspect that'hat's what happens. He has spent absolutely hours on his project and I'm fairly certain that he will be right. But quite prepared to be proved wrong.
So, if you read carefully what he said, he was not advocating putting @speed anywhere, but blanking the field as you have done, but he will adapt his program to accommodate this for you if it works OK.
And I'm certain that he will help improve on distance of warning if you heed what he says, test it and then report back.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I seem to recall during the CSV Converter investigation was that having a numeric in the filename caused some override issues. That was solved by changing 50 to fifty in the filename. The one filename constant I didn't change was 'redlight', that word in the filename also overrides some internal content, but, in the grand scheme of things didn't need changing as RedLight cameras aren't speed cameras per se.

Back to the plot.......

The one constant theme here affecting Merc systems seems to be what is in column 3 of the CSV file. That column is what is displayed in the popup banner. On Garmin PND's the @50 is used for Garmin's approach warning decision and overspeed alerts. Change that to #50 and all you get is one 'mandatory to Garmin' approach alert and no further overspeed alerts.

The older Merc system was quite happy as long as there were no lower case characters in column 3.

From what your saying it now doesn't like the #50 or @50, so, if you just have "GAT" in column 3 then POILoader has nowhere else to get it's speed info other than the filename.

If you use the consolidated by type file and change column 3 to just GAT then I have no idea what that would do.

I can change the CSV Converter to cater for the latest Merc/Garmin requirements hut I need info about what actually works.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi K.
This is what the link above says about proximity alerts.
Quote:

The POI Loader prioritizes proximity alert information from highest to lowest priority:

1. Proximity alert distance in individual POIs in a .gpx file. This information overrides all other proximity alert information.

2. Proximity alert distance entered in manual mode. Maximum distance that can be entered in manual mode is 37.88 miles.

3. Proximity alert distance calculated by POI Loader based on speed information in the individual or filename names. This calculation uses the following formula: Prompt Distance = 36 seconds * Speed.

How does this fit with the CSV-GPX converter theory? Although I know that in your method, you can adjust alert times (distances).
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta

That quote looks to be how I understand it re the filename number x 36 seconds.

I'm not 100% convinced that the GPX proximity distance overrides the filename speed, unless they've changed it recently since Converter v1 many moons ago.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember when I have been talking to you that if you put a number in the filename, Garmin takes that and gives the 36 second proximity warning rather than anything in the GPX, and to overcome that problem, you changed the number to text so that you could set your own proximity time into the .CSV and thus into the GPX and GPI. But of course, my memory could be letting me down.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That memory problem is what I get with a 36 second warning. By the time I get to the camera I've forgotten all about it, and probably what day it is.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have saved half this thread by reading mine.....
Laughing
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is interesting though is that in your set up you use "GAT" etc.

This is not a normal Garmin trigger word. It is interesting that it still seems to work.

And M8TJT.
I never got custom wav files to play ever, I don't believe this is possible in the Merc.
:-/

I haven't had a play in a while as I was consigned to it being as good as it was ever going to be. I will have another look tomorrow and see how we get on.

I did though get an email from Garmin stating that they had warned Daimler they were not giving the nav system sufficient computing power to run at optimal standards. Make if that what you will.

And I was (I think) getting close to cracking the in built .gpi file, the one that has all the dealers in it. I hoped to maybe add camera locations and an icon to that, as it never fails to display on the map.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks N
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still need to delete the 3 (6 on v 8 maps) font files to stop Chinese characters? Or does the modification of the column 3 data stop it happening?

I haven't had chance to work through the various options yet but was just curious.

Does anyone know the significance of the "bongs" sometimes I get one on approach, sometimes a double one but at a higher frequency and sometimes none at all. (This is when navigating on a route.) Using the converted standard camera file with font files deleted.

Thanks to all those putting the effort in for us to get a reliable system. Appreciated.

Terry
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis1 wrote:
Could have saved half this thread by reading mine.....
Laughing

I'm sure I mentioned you somewhere. Very Happy

Which would have been the basis of the reinventing the wheel comment.

Off Topic, you Merc boys aware there has just been a global recall because of a fire risk.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
stephenbeck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Still Chinese Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to solve the Chinese issue yet?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. It's in the thread somewhere. Shame the thread has wandered off onto speed cameras. Rolling Eyes

There's a post by Schouten on page 4 that might be of interest.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: