Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP 5 Lockup's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP 5 Lockup's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to cure both of these problems by making sure you have 15mb ProgMem free before you start. Both these issues are due to low memory, and it may mean tweaking the memory or moving something you have installed to Main Memory to Storage Card.
Easygeezer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find copilot locks up on me at least 12 times a day and requires a soft reset each time, it will lock if you miss the directions it gives after a couple of times and it locks randomly if asked to put in several stops etc etc, it's very hard to use as a work tool because of this, try doing 60 deliveries in a day and you will realise how frustrating this can be
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should hopefully be receiving a patch to try with regards to lockups. Not sure when, but ALK are actively working on this.

It seems to be affecting some users more than others. Whether this is down to the PDA, down to a particular feature you're using or whether it's more of a low memory issue I'm not 100% sure.
daven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
You should be able to cure both of these problems by making sure you have 15mb ProgMem free before you start.

Thanks Dave,
I do always check that no other programs are running before starting CoPilot, and I'm pretty frugal about which apps I install in main memory.
It seems to be CoPilot which is leaking memory.
After a sort reset I have:
8.42M Program Memory in use
23.59M Free.

Now if I run CoPilot, plan a trip, and exit I have:
9.92M Program Memory in use
22.09M Free.

Running it again...
10.58 Program Memory in use
21.44 Free

It then takes another reset to recover this memory.

I logged a call with ALK yesterday - no response as yet.
Cheers
(another)Dave
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Dave wrote:
You should be able to cure both of these problems by making sure you have 15mb ProgMem free before you start.

Thanks Dave,
I do always check that no other programs are running before starting CoPilot, and I'm pretty frugal about which apps I install in main memory.
It seems to be CoPilot which is leaking memory.
After a sort reset I have:
8.42M Program Memory in use
23.59M Free.

Now if I run CoPilot, plan a trip, and exit I have:
9.92M Program Memory in use
22.09M Free.

Running it again...
10.58 Program Memory in use
21.44 Free

It then takes another reset to recover this memory.

I logged a call with ALK yesterday - no response as yet.
Cheers
(another)Dave

I can't repeat this.
Soft Reset
Program Memory in use 18.56MB
Free 44.37MB

Storage in use 17.89MB
Free 45.05MB

Run CP plan route and exit 6 times

Program Memory in use 18.56MB
Free 44.37MB

Storage in use 17.89MB
Free 45.05MB

It doen't change.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
daven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd,
I can repeat this at will!

Just launched, searched, and exited several times, and I am now down to 14.28M free memory (of 32.01M).
The only application I have run since a soft reset has been CoPilot, and I start out with 23.5 M free before I start to run it.
The version I am running is 5.0.1.13 unpatched, on Pocket PC 2003 Premium v1.10.07.

It seem that the more complex the search, the more memory is 'lost' - though there is not an exact correlation - so may be a red herring.

Looks like this is not normal behaviour though if yours is not loosing starage space.

Cheers
(another)Dave
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just an update on lock ups following re-routing.

I have installed the latest patches and I am pleased to say that my initial tests have proved sucessful. I forced in excess of 10 consectutive re-routes and it did not lock up so far. The only eroneous point is that the routing on a roudabout just before my destination was directing me to take the first exit whereas the on screen map was showing second exit, the second exit was correct!!!!!

I minor niggle. If I spot any other anomolies I will let you know.

Regards BigH
daven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BigH,
I've also had the roundabout issue on the unpatched version - again text said take 1st exit, and the map correctly showed the 3rd exit - so I guess it has not been introduced by the patch.
Unfortunately it does reduce the effectiveness of the otherwise excellent TTS feature, as you still have to look at the screen to see if the TTS instructions are correct!

I'll re-check the memory lead issue after I've patched, but don't think that will be before the weekend...

Cheers
(another)Dave
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Odd,
I can repeat this at will!

Just launched, searched, and exited several times, and I am now down to 14.28M free memory (of 32.01M).
The only application I have run since a soft reset has been CoPilot, and I start out with 23.5 M free before I start to run it.
The version I am running is 5.0.1.13 unpatched, on Pocket PC 2003 Premium v1.10.07.

It seem that the more complex the search, the more memory is 'lost' - though there is not an exact correlation - so may be a red herring.

Looks like this is not normal behaviour though if yours is not loosing starage space.

Cheers
(another)Dave

Perhaps I should have mentioned in my previous post, I was getting lockups after multiple forced re-routes in quick sucsession but CP would run for days without any menory loss. I have the patch installed and it certainly fixes the re-routing lockups but can't say that it fixes the memory leakage problems as I haven't had them. I do recall in onother thread that there was a problem with certain PPC's and SD Cards but can't remember if it was the SD Cards draining the battery when in standby or using up memory.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
daven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've applied the patch, and although what appears to be a memory leak is improved, it is still an issue.

I guess I will have to perform a soft reset before each journey to be on the safe side - not really ideal though!

Still no reply from Alk to my fault submitted on Monday. I appreciate that this sort of issue can be difficult to track down, but an acknowledgement of the submission would have been nice.

Shame, because stability aside, then I'm delighted with it, certainly an improvement in routing terms over Destinator.
Cheers
Dave
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Well, I've applied the patch, and although what appears to be a memory leak is improved, it is still an issue.
I guess I will have to perform a soft reset before each journey to be on the safe side - not really ideal though!Dave

Dave, As an update to my previous post on Tuesday, I have just checked the memory on mine after 4 trips and NO Soft reset and free memory has increased.
Total Main Memory: 125.86MB
Program
Allocated: 62.93
In Use: 13.93MB
Free: 49.00
Storage
Allocated: 62.93MB
In Use:17.89MB
Free: 45.04MB
Storage Card
In Use: 116.40MB
Free: 127.48MB
Running Programs, ActiveSync and Contacts

Just beginning to wonder if this is not perhaps a PDA related issue as you don't show which PPC device you are using. I certainly seem to have a lot more memory available than you. Maybe this memory leakage is only on certain makes of PPC's or perhaps due to a lower Total Memory Available not being sufficient to allow it to recover.
The only time I do a Soft Reset is once a week when Sprite Backup PC runs and backs up everything on the XDA to the PC including the contents of the Storage Card.

daven wrote:
Still no reply from Alk to my fault submitted on Monday. I appreciate that this sort of issue can be difficult to track down, but an acknowledgement of the submission would have been nice.Dave

Of the 3 times I've contacted ALK, the first by email and got a reply back in 5 hours, and the other 2 were by phone just after 8am and got to speak to Tech support both times.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:

Program

Drooooool. I'm going to start banning people who start posting they've got 128mb! Wink That must be nice! I think I'm going to have to upgrade to a 128mb model as my next PPC, having all these programs installed it's tough to get 15mb spare.

I do think the memory issue is highlighted more the lower the free memory you have. If I was working around 10-12mb free I will get lockups, but if I'm up at around 15-16mb free (incidentally I need 16mb for Navigon) then I don't seem to see these. I think that's probably the same for the memory leak issue also.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
xda wrote:

Program

Drooooool. I'm going to start banning people who start posting they've got 128mb! Wink That must be nice! I think I'm going to have to upgrade to a 128mb model as my next PPC, having all these programs installed it's tough to get 15mb spare.

Spoilsport Crying It's tough at the top Laughing

Quote:
I do think the memory issue is highlighted more the lower the free memory you have. If I was working around 10-12mb free I will get lockups, but if I'm up at around 15-16mb free (incidentally I need 16mb for Navigon) then I don't seem to see these. I think that's probably the same for the memory leak issue also.

I think a lot of it is how the running software is using the available memory, after all there is a considerable amout of activity going on with screen updates, safety screen, incoming data, reading POI's etc. I wonder just how much of your free menory is left when you reach your destination prior to exiting CP. If it's low pehaps there might not be enough menory to close down all of CP's running modules correctly thus leaving one or two holding onto memory which wouldn't show under running programs in Memory management but a Soft Reset would clear these.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Ianh100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Lockups Reply with quote

I am also getting lockups every few days, I would agree that it does seem to be when it re-routes.

Ipaq 3970
Compaq INS sleeve
Speed camera POI alerts turned on.

Regards
Ian
daven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I can't see, with the price of memory being so low, why most pocket PCs are so constrained.

To answer some points - the PPC that is loosing memory is an Ipaq 2210, running the most up to date ROM version (1.10).

It doesn't take much to get CoPilot to leak though - Just start it up, enter a new trip, pick an address, and tap 'start driving' then exit (cleanly). That will typically gobble 2MB the first time it is run after a soft reset.

Anyone else using CoPilot on a 2210 not leaking memory?

Cheers
Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: