Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin CSV to GPX Converter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin CSV to GPX Converter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how can he 'up' the speeds of the overspeed alert. The only way I can think of off the top of my head, is what he is trying by increasing the speeds in all the CSVs and the associated sound and BMP files. Not for the feint hearted, as the OP has implied.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can think of is use the separate overspeed function so they are all in one file then hit that file with a small macro to increase all the @xx speeds by a percentage.

A good ploy if done carefully to stop the Garmin issuing alerts when you are at the speed limit. Garmins are a bit sensitive on this one.

If you rely on overspeed warnings then to be done and used with caution and with the the usual disclaimers especially as more forces are reigning in the 10% + 2 leeway.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
stuartb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just gave that a try. It was difficult to test in the limited time I had, but I upped the @speeds by 10% and went for a drive.

I got the approach warnings regardless of speed. What seemed to be happening was that if I was below the overspeed speed, but over the POI speed AND not accelerating, there was no overspeed warning. If I was accelerating, I got the overspeed warning even if under the POI speed.

So that sounds very workable and should be a useful improvement for me. This was without directional alerts on this occasion.

Thanks
Stuart[/i]
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds correct.

The mandatory approach warning is triggered by the # lines and that overrides the Garmin logic that if you are significantly under the limit and not accelerating then you sometimes don't get any notificatiin that there is a camera ahead.

What your saying about not accelerating for the overspeed warning is how I understand the Garmin AI works.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
stuartb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kremmen - I'll test a bit harder (though convinced it is working as described) and report back if any different.

In the meantime, I have created an alternative set of directional voice alerts if anyone's interested. My aim was to make them as snappy as possible whilst still conveying type of camera, speed and direction. For example, mine say "unverified, fifty, west" rather than "unverified mobile camera fifty miles per hour west". They are a female synthesised voice (UK accent) which is not a million miles away from Emily.

If someone can suggest a good download site to use, I'm happy to bung the zip file up in case anyone wants it.

Thanks
Stuart
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to include them into the install package.

Dropbox is best for me to collect them
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Oscargrouch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my two penneth; what has been suggested is a good idea for those who want it. Personally, I would stick with knowing that if I am over 30mph in a 30mph zone; I would prefer the warning, then it is up to me if I want to run the gauntlet: with a possible ticket for doing 32mph in a 30mph zone, which you cannot argue against cos your doing over 30mph.

Last edited by Oscargrouch on Mon May 09, 2016 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?

All that's been offered is an alternative set of new voices. The functionality is still the same.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what they call a miss quote K. Or perhaps Oscar has not found the "post reply" button at the bottom of the page and thinks that the only way of posting is to quote the post above.
stuartb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscargrouch wrote:

Just to add my two penneth; what has been suggested is a good idea for those who want it. Personally, I would stick with knowing that if I am over 30mph in a 30mph zone; I would prefer the warning, then it is up to me if I want to run the gauntlet: with a possible ticket for doing 32mph in a 30mph zone, which you cannot argue against cos your doing over 30mph.

As Kremmen says, there's nothing on the table to automate what I was asking about. However, he has pointed out how this can fairly easily be achieved with a little manual effort.

Use the overspeed settings in his programme which determine how far (in time) before the camera you will start getting overspeed alerts.

This then creates an Overspeed.gpx file in the working directory. THat file contains all the overspeed speed limits for all cameras and by default has the actual speed limit at the camera as the overspeed limit.

This file can be opened in a text editor (suggest Notepad if on a Windows PC). DO NOT use Word*. Then do a Replace for each speed you want to change by searching for e.g. "@50" and changing to "@51" or whatever. Very quick to do.

Then run POILoader as normal (using express mode).

Stuart

*Word tries to be clever and attempts to download the XML expansion pack described in the file from Garmin. The problem is that the Garmin link is dead so you'll get the message asking about downloading the pack - answer yes, it says it's not found, answer no, it moves on to the next line of the GPX and asks you again. It does this for every line of thouasands and there is no way out (that I found) other than to Task Manager kill Word.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a bit of work you could probably create a vbs or Excel script with all the known speeds in it.

Saves doing it longhand each time.

Just some IF and THEN statements and for completeness END IF.

If there's enough call for it I could build a user defined % process in but this would be on the understanding that if anyone gets nicked because they have tinkered with the file.... and that is the case for the defence your honour.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SELECT CASE
END SELECT
would be a better option

Function ConvertSpeeds(intSpeed as integer)as integer
'Function returns the speed passed to intSpeed into _
intSpeed + 10% + 2 _
Returns zero (or whatever) if passed speed is not one of the 'Cases'

Code:
Select Case intSpeed
   Case 30
      ConvertSpeeds = 35
   Case 40
      ConvertSpeeds = 46
   Case 30
      ConvertSpeeds = 36
   Case 50
      ConvertSpeeds = 57
   Case 60
      ConvertSpeeds = 68
   Case 70
      ConvertSpeeds = 79
   Case Else
      ConvertSpeeds = 0 'Or whatever
End Select
Kremmen wrote:
If there's enough call for it I could build a user defined % process in.
Sound like a good idea to me K. I would use it at 10%. If anyone or I gets caught, then tough.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of a user defined %

I hate hard coding

You know what I'm going to say re timescales Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm not a Garmin user, may I add my thoughts?

On some TomTom units you can set the system to warn you if you over-speed, however the map has to have the correct speed limit for this to work. But that's for general over-speeding. What's being discussed here is over-speeding warnings for known PGPSW speed trap sites - which is different.

Personally, I want to be warned of speed traps as I approach them, regardless of whether I'm driving above or below the speed limit. If I continue to drive above the speed limit then I want additional warnings.

I think that if you set a buffer of say +2 mph and 10% then you have no room for error if you drive in an area that has zero tolerance, i.e. in Wales where 30 means 30.

On the other hand, if your users want it then I'd give them two variables to set, the additional mph and the additional percentage, so if you gave them that and they choose +2 and +10% then a 30 speed limit would warn at 35 and a 70 speed limit would warn at 79. However if you do this I recommend that you round down the result to the nearest integer for the warning activation speed.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

Garmin has an annoying habit of telling you that you are speeding when you're not.
I've had instances where my speedo is showing 30, Garmin is showing 28 and yet I still get the repetition overspeed warning.

What I intend to do is provide a new screen. This screen will have separate settings for 20 through 70mph and will allow each one to have it's own setting.

So you could have 30 at 30 but 40 at say 44 etc.

There will be some trial and error but if I do the change then this speed increase can be applied to both the included and separate overspeed file(s).

You are spot on though that this needs to be applied with extreme caution. Use it as 10% + 2mph on the M25 near the junction with the M23 and HADECS3 will have you.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position for some weeks to get stuck in as I'm into some serious decorating (hall stairs landing) that was in a right state.
Started prep on 8th April and finished prep 8th May. Had to be cut back to the wood in places. Just finished the ceiling emulsion today (Monday) and the first layer of primer/undercoat starts tomorrow.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 25 of 74

Jump to: