Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with CoPilot Live - Returning for refund
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with CoPilot Live - Returning for refund
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Well I would hardly call The Thames a stream would you? or The Severn? The Thames disappears at Windsor according to the map, and The Severn - our longest UK river, just before Westbury (on Severn!). Even Scotlands' Caledonian Canal, a massive tourist attraction, is missing! Come on now, this is a major deficiency. It is very much part of my leisure driving to find some of the beautiful towns and villages on our Waterways. I notice that the US version has the rivers and waterways, so this looks like another example of us here in the UK being fobbed off with inferior treatment - like the upgrade process which brings hefty discounts for US customers switching from a competitor but nowt for us here. This is not a Navteq issue - this is CoPilot paying less for their licence by excluding things, and relying on UK customers putting up with it.

I finally got a call from Sam Thomas at CoPilot support (it was he who confirmed the above about the rivers). He was very knowledgeable and helpful. Unfortunately the missing waterways is in itself enough to render this program fatally flawed for me and I will be sending it back for a refund. I hope these posts will help others to decide which software to use.
Ted
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
Well I would hardly call The Thames a stream would you? or The Severn? The Thames disappears at Windsor according to the map, and The Severn - our longest UK river, just before Westbury (on Severn!).

I have spoken to ALK today and they do say there are some issues with polygons overlapping which will create some problems with waterways as they thin. Something I wasn't aware about until today.

tedkay wrote:
I finally got a call from Sam Thomas at CoPilot support (it was he who confirmed the above about the rivers). He was very knowledgeable and helpful. Unfortunately the missing waterways is in itself enough to render this program fatally flawed for me and I will be sending it back for a refund. I hope these posts will help others to decide which software to use.
Ted

That's your call to make, like I've said all along. There are obviously some issues with waterways (which as I have said I wasn't aware of), but a lot of what you posted about with features not being there like the tap and hold to navigate, speed cameras min alert at 0.5 miles, safety screen not timing out, are incorrect.

It would seem you're looking for every possible reason to return the software. UK Distance selling laws do stipulate that you can send products back in the same condition as received within 7 days, and obviously if you're within this period (or out of it and ALK are allowing you to return it) then great. That's your call, and if it's one you want to make then so be it.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I certainly am not looking for any excuse to send it back and I feel that was a most unfair comment from you. I’m sending it back because it is faulty – it’s as simple as that. I bought it because I wanted something better than TomTom, but whether or not CoPilot filled that requirement became academic because first and foremost I want it to work properly, and as you and ALK have had to admit, in some areas it doesn’t (the bits that they have said that they are working on).

The fact is that the Thames and Severn and all other rivers and waterways are missing, and the volume for the voice directions is too low to be heard on my Ipaq 5550, even in my very quiet car. I know that the Ipaq volume isn’t great, but using TomTom Navigator for instance the voice directions are perfectly audible. Sam at ALK told me that the developers found out about this too late to do anything about it – but the Ipaq 5550 has been around for a long time now…. Anyway the bottom line is that this program is sold with the voice directions as a major feature and so I think it is quite reasonable for me to expect that the feature should be usable on what is one of (if not the) most popular PDA’s on the market without me having to add powered speakers. It is quite unusable and I am not prepared to pay for something I can’t use. This can hardly be seen as me ‘looking for excuses’, rather it is ALK giving me good and valid reasons to send it back.

I didn’t ask you whether or not I CAN send it back. The Direct Selling rules are in any case not relevant here, I am covered by the Sale of Goods Act which makes it clear that I can get a refund for faulty or misdescribed goods. As you and ALK have admitted that there are faults then I don’t expect any problem getting a refund. I must say however that this is all hassle I could have done without and had the program been fault-free I would have been quite happy to keep it.

To highlight the 0.5 miles POI alert as an example of my ignorance is unfair since as you know I did follow that up and tell you that I had been aware that it was 0.2 miles but had got it wrong in my post. This detail did not alter the point I was making anyway.

I do appreciate that you try to be fair to all products and present an unbiased view and I must reiterate what I have said before, i.e that you provide an invaluable service which I have used to solve problems many times.

Ted
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
I bought it because I wanted something better than TomTom, but whether or not CoPilot filled that requirement became academic because first and foremost I want it to work properly, and as you and ALK have had to admit, in some areas it doesn?t (the bits that they have said that they are working on).

It works perfectly, routing yourself from A to B. That's the intended use! Please don't take this the wrong way, but I do recall about a year ago you tried to switch to Navman SmartST and had problems with the routing and later returned the product. TomTom has faults of it's own, I'm finding more addresses by the day that I cannot navigate to, and I have to zoom in and pin-point on the map and compare with AutoRoute. That's a problem that has always been there with TomTom. Routing isn't always ideal either on longer journeys, constant lock-ups on 2210 when used with a MicroDrive. So no product is ever perfect, and I think you really are expecting too much from the product.

tedkay wrote:
the volume for the voice directions is too low to be heard on my Ipaq 5550, even in my very quiet car. I know that the Ipaq volume isn?t great, but using TomTom Navigator for instance the voice directions are perfectly audible.

The audio between TomTom and CoPilot for me on my iPAQ 2210 is the same. So I don't know why you are hearing a difference on your 5550. Maybe the audio speakers are better on the 2210 than the 5550 ?

tedkay wrote:
Anyway the bottom line is that this program is sold with the voice directions as a major feature and so I think it is quite reasonable for me to expect that the feature should be usable on what is one of (if not the) most popular PDA?s on the market without me having to add powered speakers.

Again, don't take this the wrong way, but this is an inherent flaw and well known flaw with the 5550 and 5000 range of iPAQ's. Surely you should be returning the 5550 also.

tedkay wrote:
It is quite unusable and I am not prepared to pay for something I can?t use. This can hardly be seen as me ?looking for excuses?, rather it is ALK giving me good and valid reasons to send it back.

I can understand your feelings here, but with 1000+ hours of testing under my belt I would have to agree to disagree with you.

tedkay wrote:
I didn?t ask you whether or not I CAN send it back. The Direct Selling rules are in any case not relevant here, I am covered by the Sale of Goods Act which makes it clear that I can get a refund for faulty or misdescribed goods. As you and ALK have admitted that there are faults then I don?t expect any problem getting a refund. I must say however that this is all hassle I could have done without and had the program been fault-free I would have been quite happy to keep it.

7 days is the legal requirement for returning goods under distance selling act, if you're within these then not a problem. Regarding mis-described goods, the product does as it says on the box. There's nothing mis-described there.

tedkay wrote:
I do appreciate that you try to be fair to all products and present an unbiased view and I must reiterate what I have said before, i.e that you provide an invaluable service which I have used to solve problems many times.

Thanks, we do provide an unbiased view here, we take great strides over reviewing products over a 4 week process to make sure we have tested every function inside and out and that we are weighing each product up against another. Like I said, each product has it's own flaws, no product is flawless, that includes iPAQ's, I just hope you understand where I'm coming from here. Products are out there for competition, we'd all be strange people if we all liked one product and no other product. Some products just aren't for certain people, other's are.

I'd suggest you don't delay on returning the product, make sure you do get a valid RMA number from Sam or someone else at ALK. I'm not sure about ALK, but most companies won't accept goods back without a valid RMA number.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, see my PM if you didn't purchase this from ALK and purchased it from another retailer.
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ tedkay

Wow I’m amazed you hate CP5 that much I think its brilliant I know it would have been nice if the maps looked more like TomTom but still I wouldn’t of thought you would get much better than CP5, maybe you should try an A – Z then if you see a mistake you could get a pen and correct it Wink .......... sorry I just had to
Easygeezer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted I agree with you fully, it should work straight out the box and be fit for the purpose it is sold for, this software is neither, Dave seems very over protective to the product, you only need to look at these pages to see all the problems people have with it and it seems acceptable and it is not.

The question should be could you give this to your mother as a present in the box and she would get it to work and the answer is no, I have had all 3 versions and the only one that worked without technical support getting involved was 3.5

How can you defend a product when you have a forum of intelligent people who are computer literate asking how do I do this, how do you get this to work etc etc etc

Being the best of a bad bunch does not make it right!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched this correspondence with interest, but not felt like joining in until now! I use both CP5 and TTN3, and most of the time I find both of them to be excellent. There are some features I like better on TomTom, and some on CoPilot. The appearance of the maps (particularly the 3D view) is better on TomTom, but the maps themselves are more accurate on CoPilot. I find the estimated time of arrival better on TomTom, but CoPilot calculates the route quicker. I could go on and on, but both are excellent, but not perfect, products. They may not take me by the very best routes, which would be chosen by people with local knowledge, but they always get me there, and when travelling solo I find them both to be a great boon.
Robin
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Actually you got it the wrong way round about TomTom and SmartST. I started off with SmartST, buying the whole kit, GPS sleeve and all. At that time SmartST was so full of errors it was a joke. But I didn't send it back (it now languishes in the drawer with all the other useless software and gadgets I have accumulated over the years) - I just bought TomTom.

CoPilot doesn't 'do what it says on the box' if it keeps locking-up and I can't hear the sound (at all) on my Ipaq. That is the crucial point - that I can't hear it at all. I wasn't expecting the sound to fill the car with rich tones - I just expected to be able to hear it in a quiet vehicle as I can with TomTom. I couldn't send the Ipaq back on the same basis simply because other applications on it (like MediaPlayer) have adequate sound, as I am sure HP would point out. If you're producing software for a particular platform as in this case a PDA, then I believe you should factor in how it will perform on the more popular examples of that platform. The PDA was there first!

Let's put an end to this thread anyway - I feel as though I have been mugged by ALK and somehow you are getting the brunt of my disquiet, which is not right. It may alll be academic anyway because according to a website I saw recently Big Bad Microsoft are planning to release a Pocket PC all singing- all dancing navigation product linked to AutoRoute, which sadly means that all the other developers are living on borrowed time.

Last thought - I would really like to meet the guy/lady who decided to put Air Miles into CoPilot and ask WHY!
Ted
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hellfire

I don't hate CP5 at all. Hate doesn't come into it. I just don't like paying for things that don't work.

If I bought an A-Z and half the pages were missing I'd send it back.

But of course, people who accept second rate without complaint are just what the people who sell this stuff rely on.........

Ted
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy "Boy" Gates bringing out a Sat Nav program. Thats supposed to fill other software companies with fear. Jeez, if anyone thinks CP5 is bad I dread to think what MS Nav will be like. At least it will have familiar features. Blue screen of death, non compatability with earlier/later versions, non compatability with any other software, embedded proprietry features that force you to use MS, expensive, more patches to fix problems than you could shake a stick at etc etc.

I'll stand corrected if it ever sees the light of day and is great but it would be naive to think it will be any better than anything else. At least MS have a proven track record in using customers to debug software for them and a web site to support that "feature".......
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tedkay

I was only joking and from my personal experience I like CP5 but I can understand if you found faults with it then I can understand you point of view
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Topgazza

When I said Microsoft bringing out their own version would be the kiss of death I didn't mean that they would necessarily produce a better program. I meant that when Microsoft do it usually means they bulldoze the others into the ground.
Ted
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the Microsoft way....

I was being ironic of course. If it was too happen then for sure, the likes of ALK, Smart, TT would have to seriously get their acts together. Its obvious that most, if not all, Sat Nav companies have not put enough effort into "point and squirt" software that your mother can use Wink , maybe MS will shake a few up and make your experience a rarer event.
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedKay.

Whilst CP5 does have one or two minor faults,may I tactfully sugest that you RTFM,it works every time.
Like most software nowerdays you need to spend some time getting to know it,and its limitations.
Dave has answered all your "questions" ,if you still beleve you can't live with CP5,perhaps you need to invest in a "full" blown in-car system,at the end of the day,you pay for what you get..................
Personally I have had no major issues with CP5,as you infer you've had.The only time I've had a problem with a Sat lock was when stuck between three lorrys on the nothe circular rd,under tree cover!.Perhaps I should complain to US military for not providing a strong enought signal! 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: