Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - getting clie to recognize gps signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

getting clie to recognize gps signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: getting clie to recognize gps signal Reply with quote

i hooked up my clie with rand mcnally streetfinder with garmin etrex using a cable from pc mobile. but the program has problem getting gps signal (it keeps saying gps not available). etrex is working fine. i got it to work once for a few minutes then to no avail.

i have read somewhere that the frequecy of something needs to be adjusted on the gps? i cannot find that page anymore.

help.

thanks
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: getting clie to recognize gps signal Reply with quote

2 Things you have to know:

1. Is RM Streetfinder compatible with Clie/eTrex?

2. Have you configured them (software/GPS) correctly?

I do not know about Streetfinder and I assume it is compatible.

In the software configuration, it should be something like NMEA input on Com 1.

In the GPS, NMEA output should be selected.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

You need to make sure the eTrex is outputting at 4800 baud - I seem to recall that Streetfinder was shipped with the old Navman 'Nimrod'-style GPS receiver, which outputs at this rate.

COM1 isn't normally relevant on a Palm device as they generally only have one serial port (and they're not referred to by COM names), but you also didn't say what type of Clie it is - if it's running PalmOS5, for example, there are some differences in the way the serial port is handled which mean that some software won't receive anything from the port without modification.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

thanks a lot for the info. i do have the output of etrex on NMEA output at 4800 baud. my clie is a n760c model running palm 4.1. i did get it to work for a minute then it stopped. i am wondering if it is a problem with the wire even.

does mapopolis work better?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

It is most likely incorrect configuration but cable fault cannot be ruled out.

Try another software and see if it works,

The simplest/easiest software to test is COMPASS ( http://www.gpspilot.com/Compass.htm )
trafcam
Regular Visitor

Another useful package is ptelnet, a terminal emulator for the Palm platform. You can set this to 4800 baud serial and see what data is coming off the GPS receiver.
paliz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trafcam:

Can you help me out with the configuration of ptelnet - I'm running a Palm Tungsten T3 with a TomTom GPS (Wired). I can't get the telnet program to connect to the GPS, so need to make sure I have the settings correct.

Thanks,

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: