Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Angel Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Angel Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbillings wrote:
I tried my "new" road angel with teletype gps on my pocket pc today. An interesting, weird problem: Althoguh the teletype GPS Screen shows my lat/long ok, the sats screen says position not fixed - at least 4 sats needed. Fair enough, as mentioned the Road Angel unit doesn't output full NMEA gubbins.
End result was that teletype showed my position on screen, but this never moved. If I refreshed the screen somehow though (by either zooming/panning) then my position updated. This meant for the trip today where I actually needed it, I basically had to drag my finger across the screen of my pda every mile or so to update the map and my position! I'll email Teletype about it, not expecting much joy though. Anyone else had similar problems with other packages?

Ok, you have two problems at heart here. The first is that the Road Angel's use a Holux GPS Receiver, I'm still unsure why, but not all of the NMEA signature is exported through the serial port, and this is why you may not see any sat signal strength.

The other issue I don't believe is linked to the NMEA sentence. If you are getting a position on-screen then there is no reason why it won't update it as you are receiving the data in the NMEA stream. There is an option in TeleType that basically shows your pointer going off-screen and you can center the map around your pointer, but it seems like you're experiencing another issue, and this may be more down to TeleType.

jmbillings wrote:
Also, I tried the remote control trick to test the laser alert, but nothing happens - I was using a Sky TV remote. Does it need more umpf, or is it likely to be dodgy? I tried the front and rear sensors...

I haven't tried a remote control, but I did stick the old laser alert next to an IBM thinkpad that was transmitting IR, and this did set it off.
DavyBurns
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried the RA wired to a laptop PC? I emailed Blackspot and got a very negative answer from them, then tried holux and got no answer from them!
davy
jmbillings
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after some emails back and forth to both Teletype and Blackspot, it looks like my combo of road angel and teletype won't ever work properly. Basically, Teletype wants the GGA sentence as well as RMC that the RA outputs, and even though RMC alone is okay for displaying a location, they wont budge on it not being their problem. Likewise, I doubt Blackspot will change the receiver they use to one that does output the other sentences!
So, given that teletype is fairly iffy in several other respects I'm probably going to have to invest in some new software, but I'll be checking they'll work first! I quite like the look of the new CoPilot, anyone tried it with a road angel?
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: cCassic Road Angel on a Laptop Reply with quote

I had the job of updating my fathers two Road Angels (his and Step mothers). One was a seriasl and the other a USB. I got the serial version up and running on my laptop with AutoRoute no problems. But not the USB version.. I have now got a USB version for myself and now wish to know how I can get this one to talk to my laptop.....Dave.....Can you make any suggestions....Do I reqiire a PS/2 to serial adapter..
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have the Serial editinn so I don't know how the USB edition connects. I woudl presume it connects via the USB cable and that you just tell the program to use USB to update the speed cams.
Shropshirelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the MOSRT useless company I have ever come across. They have a great product and crap customer support. I run a XP PC with Symantec firwalls according to the idiots in this company I can not down load the updates to the excellent product because their system cannot work with this configuration. Am I a Fool but surely you would set up a solution to work with the most popular products on the market or you will not get renewals They need to get a grip Twisted Evil
jago25_98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as we installed the RoadAngel2 updater software we had no connectivity. Has anyone else eperienced that?

The wierd thing is,

I can ping the modem at 192.168.1.1 and another computer plugged into the modem via a hub can access the internet fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: