Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Setting up a Start25
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up a Start25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vidman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Setting up a Start25 Reply with quote

Finally bit the bullet and bought a TomTom Start25 WE maps on special offer from Halfords - came with a free high capacity charger for £99 - and promptly signed up to PocketGPS.

Still getting to grips with the settings, I downloaded the Zoned DB and am getting spoken and sound warnings for fixed cameras but just sounds for Mobiles and Average speed cameras.

All cameras are set the same - for short voice - but I get no voice warnings for anything other than Fixed Gatsos. Am I setting something wrong? any advice please.

Is there any conflict with the standard TomTom gatso warnings??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no-one has replied before now.... Crying or Very sad

Taking your questions in reverse order... (like the Oscars!)

No there won;t be any conflict with the TomTom built-in warnings. you can switch them off, or uninstall them, or leave them running beside the PGPSW ones. Any of those will work OK.

The problem with the voices definitely looks like your settings, but I'll admit the instructions on this site for units capable of text-to-speech are not terribly clear at this point.

If you have downloaded one of the PGPSW "voice packs" (at the same time as you download the camera details) then you shouldn't be selecting "short voice" in the settings, as the "short" and "full" "voice" settings use the TomTom's own text-to-speech" engine.
You want to be using the supplied audio files instead, which TomTom thinks will be sound effects.

So you need to pick "Sound Effect" for every single camera type and speed.

Assuming you are using the default voice pack, it will ask "Is this the sound you want to use?" EVEN THOUGH YOU WON'T HEAR ANYTHING. Just select "Yes" and move on (as per the instructions).

If you think the default PGPSW voice packs are a bit too "wordy" then I can give you a link for a shorter one I created , which I've always used myself.
vidman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,

I have reset all the warnings to sound effect but do not get the question 'is this the sound you want to hear' it just goes straight to the 'on route' question which I have not ticked as I often do not set a route but still want the warnings. I downloaded the zoned complete with the default voice pack and if I play the ogg files on my PC they work fine so they downloaded OK

Is there another setting on the Start 25 I should have set first to get the missing question
vidman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - have done an extensive drive around a wide variety of local camera sites and am getting PGPS warnings for them all BUT several indicated (and known to me) mobile sites only appear on the screen but with no audio warnings at all.

To clarify, I have received verbal and icon warnings for 3 known mobile sites but for 2 others I received no audio, beeps or voice, but the icon appeared on the screen. 1 of these was at the other end of a village where there was a fixed camera on entry, received voice and icon for the fixed but some 800yds later a mobile icon appeared with no audio warning - I have the 30mph mobile warning set to 400yds. The second mobile site with no audio just icon warning is miles from the nearest warning site of any description.

Are there some idiosyncrasies in the PGPS DB or operation that I should know about.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vidman wrote:
Are there some idiosyncrasies in the PGPS DB or operation that I should know about.
Don't think so. Are the 'missing' ones pMobiles and the 'present' ones mobiles (or the reverse)? Can you see all the cams on the submission map here? If so click on them and post the numbers here so we all know where you are talking about. A location would be good Very Happy Are you running TTs offering as well as PGPSW?
vidman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not turned off the TomTom camera DB so have checked the locations of the 2 I know on the linked map and neither of the 2 mobiles I know of are shown on the map. I have reported them via the map - the info is also below

Centre Latitude: 52.22675 Longitude: -0.67745 - in the village of Bozeat nothents - have reported this

Single Direction Mobile (ID#0), Heading: 315, Lat:52.22677, Lon:-0.67741 - I have reported this

Both are known to me but must have been id'd on my TomTom as part of their DB

There is obviously allot I still have to learn about using the PGPS DB and web site
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two Lat/Lon co-ordinates are in virtually the same place???????
vidman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said I still had a lot to learn - obviously I copied the data from one sighting twice - sure I reported the two locations separately via the map interface.

Just suffering from keyboard/screen dyslexia.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: