Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No interest in new GO series?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No interest in new GO series?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaycr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: No interest in new GO series? Reply with quote

Why does there appear to be a deafening silence regarding the new GO series (600/6000 etc) ? No reviews by the mods? In the past whenever new models were released there was a barrage of discussions and comments, both pro and anti but this time, hardly anything! It's not like there's much else being discussed on the forum which makes the complete lack of interest even more weird. Just wondering!
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a fair bit of interest when they were first released, but most people (including me) who managed to get to trial one found them pretty underwhelming. Sure, they looked nice and the speed of response is good, but as soon as you actually start trying to use them, you find the functionality is severely restricted.

TomTom have indicated that they will introduce much of the missing functionality in future releases and so I think most of us will just wait to see what really gets released. In the meantime, the previous range (e.g. the 1005LIVE, etc) pretty much does everything you could want and I guess that also contributes to less people wanting or needing to update to latest models.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of us here is the issue that PGPS camera database POI cannot be used, which makes the new models worthless.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't been sent one to review (although I covered the launch in Amsterdam). I assume this is because they know it will get slated for not having 3rd party POI support?!

MaFt
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
We haven't been sent one to review (although I covered the launch in Amsterdam). I assume this is because they know it will get slated for not having 3rd party POI support?!

MaFt

I'd expect it to be mentioned in any review, but I feel you wouldn't "slate" it for that alone. The reviews have always read as quite fair and honest to me, so I am sure you'd point out the good parts as well as the negative.

The summary I've got from the general posts of people here have been that it does what it does nicely, and would be fine for a new Satnav user who isn't wanting much from a device. The advanced user won't be happy though.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
I'd expect it to be mentioned in any review, but I feel you wouldn't "slate" it for that alone. The reviews have always read as quite fair and honest to me, so I am sure you'd point out the good parts as well as the negative.

Personally, I prefer to navigate to a POI than a post code as a POI is a name for a destination, a post is a set of jumbled lettered and numbers. I find it more reassuring to navigate to a named destination rather than a post code.

TomTom's built in POIs are better than nothing but over the years I've found the PGPSW's POIs to be far more accurate than TomTom's own, or any other third party POI supplier. In the rare occasions that the PGPSW POI is missing or inaccurate I submit an update which I know will be available for everybody else in a very short period of time, i.e. a couple of days if not hours.

So for me, any SatNav that cannot use third party POIs is useless. So I'll keep my old 950 LIVE for a while yet! Wink
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As MaFt said...
Quote:
We haven't been sent one to review.......

Unless one is supplied by the company for reviewing it's unlikely to be reviewed.
I think it doubtful that TT would provide an inferior SatNav for reviewing to a dedicated SatNav company/website because they know that it would be slated. We expect more than just an A to B device and berate things such as social medial integration at the cost of POIs or Itineraries etc..

Expecting a company such as PgpsW to buy every single SatNav as it appears on the market to supply a review isn't realistic. Unless an owner of such a device proffers a "hands-on" review I'd suggest that reading the customer reviews somewhere like Amazon would provide you with the information you are looking for.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
TomTom's built in POIs are better than nothing but over the years I've found the PGPSW's POIs to be far more accurate than TomTom's own, or any other third party POI supplier. In the rare occasions that the PGPSW POI is missing or inaccurate I submit an update which I know will be available for everybody else in a very short period of time, i.e. a couple of days if not hours.

So for me, any SatNav that cannot use third party POIs is useless. So I'll keep my old 950 LIVE for a while yet! Wink

But on these new units, you cannot even search for built-in POIs by category!
There's just a generic "search" that searches every address or "thing" it has in its (limited) database.
If you don't know the name it uses, you can forget it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, as if by magic, TomTom's PR company got in touch the other day and are sending me a GO 6000 to review Smile

MaFt
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
And, as if by magic, TomTom's PR company got in touch the other day and are sending me a GO 6000 to review Smile

MaFt

This should be interesting.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
There's just a generic "search" that searches every address or "thing" it has in its (limited) database.
If you don't know the name it uses, you can forget it.

It's frustrating, my TomTom 950 LIVE won't last for ever but at the moment as long as I've got up-to-date maps none of the current offerings from TomTom come close to it as they don't have the functionality.

I would like a newer TomTom unit that has all of the features that have been lost over the years (please see Andy's list of "What's been dropped in new models"

In addition to the above list, the functions that I would most like to see are:
Extremely fast processor (for powering extra functionality)
SDK (PGPSW's CamerAlert in TomTom)
Route Optimisation (next stage on from itinerary)
Avoid POI (i.e. low bridges)

Does TomTom listen to anybody here?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Does TomTom listen to anybody here?
Why would they. We know nothing about what customers want their TTs to do Stop it!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Why would they. We know nothing about what customers want their TTs to do Stop it!

Unfortunately that does appear to be the case!! Rolling Eyes Grrrr
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nikolaus_otto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of openness we have reason to believe this user works for TomTom so please bear this in mind when reading the reply. - MaFt

Andy_P wrote:

I still think this is not quite right... Admittedly we're not given a list, but it certainly has a bunch of POI categories in, and it seems to have synonyms for them too so you can search fairly easily.

Try searching for "golf" and get a "Golf course" poi category; clicking that item will list/map all golf courses around you or filter down any further text you type.

Try "library", "postoffice", "dentist", "church", "cinema", "museum", "food", "dealer", "hotel"

"park" even returns a bunch of categories, actually: "Park and recreation area", "Parking garage", "Amusement park", "Camping ground", "Open parking", "Rental car parking".

About the synonyms, if I type "train", "railway" or "station" all these return a "Railway station" POI category.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Personally, I prefer to navigate to a POI than a post code as a POI is a name for a destination
As a subcontract whitevanman, I have a number of companies who give me work. They have their own customers from whom I collect, then drive to wherever. So on my old-fashioned TomToms, I have several sets of POIs under each company. So when Company A wants me to pickup, it is often from an existing customer of theirs which I have entered into their category of POIs. So a collection from, or delivery to their customer is best handled by navigating to the POI - far too often, the collection/delivery bay is not at the reception entrance, so my POI is located round the back. Hospital blood banks are a case in point - they are never anywhere near the hospital entrance. Once I've overcome the first visit, I set a POI for future use. My new, built in TomTom satnav doesn't have third party POI loading, so all my sets of POIs are untouchable. GRRR! I wonder if typing "blood" gets any blood banks? Anyway, I don't want TT's idea of which to list, I already have a bloody great bunch of lists (which I know are accurate).

Missing third party loading of POIs is a serious matter. I'm sure (and have read on this website) there are a great many people who do something like me - sales reps, repair engineers etc.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: