Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Old Speed camera files still active on Garmin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Speed camera files still active on Garmin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Old Speed camera files still active on Garmin Reply with quote

Hi,
I am sure I once read how to sort this out but...
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1340 and regularly update the speed camera database but am finding that I still get alerts from cameras that have been removed or where 50mph road works have been removed months ago( thinking M25 from M11 to Dartford crossing where I can do miles with the gong driving me nuts))
Is there any way I can get rid of the old speed camera database on my unit and only have the freshly installed database without messing up the unit? if so how?
I seem to remember you have to delete a file or folder on the unit but not sure which one and whether its the whole folder or just the contents of the folder.
Any advise please before my family kill me !
Rob
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the POI folder on your 1340, delete any old .gpi speed camera files
Shims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks,
is that delete the whole folder or just highlight the contents in the folder and delete just them.
Just want to be sure.
Then I take it when I next use the POI loader it will put the new updated files in the folder with no problems.
Thanks for your help
will wait for your reply before I mess it up....
Rob
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you haven't had any replies, I'll jump in even though I don't have any specific Garmin knowledge.

If you look in the POI folder, just delete the files with .gpi as the file extension, I don't know if there WILL be any other files in there, but if there are, just leave those alone.

If you can't see the three-letter extensions on all the file names, then you need to enable it in Windows Explorer (or MyComputer).
Go to the Tools menu, select "folder options..." and on the "View" tab, make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" is UN-TICKED.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be any other files in there other than those with a gpi extension, but as noted if there are just leave them.

You should find that the relevant speed camera files are obvious, as you will probably have given them a name when you loaded them?
Shims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks again, will give that a try ASAP. Might also try back up those files before deleting them just in case I need to re install.
Again thanks help is much appreciated , will post what happens as well.
Rob
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POILoader has an option to remove 'ALL' current user POI's. Run that option first then use the load option to install the latest.

Also, remember that POILoader has a feature that will pick up all POI's in any sub folders on your PC in the directory you are pointing to via POILoader so maybe it is removing them but then instantly putting them back as they are in a sub folder ?
This one can be solved by having a unique folder with your CSV or GPX files in and have no sub folders.

Don't do a blanket search and delete of .GPI files on the Garmin as some are there for other purposes.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Shims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info, have been so busy havent had time to sort it yet , I am using the Garmin POIloader to put the camera files onto the sat nav and always create a new folder with the laterst update in it unzipped. That is the file where I would notmally point the loader to and all does seem to go well telling me I have updated XXXX points of interest but I still get the alerts sounding where they have removed cameras that were once part of roadworks years ago...and as I said in my earlier post its driving me and my "better" half crazy for miles of the thing going Bong...
Hope to give it a go by the weekend
Thanks again much appreciated.
Rob
Shims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Still doing it Reply with quote

Hi, I deleted the files as suggested, couldn't find the option on the Garmin POI loader to delete all the old files before updating so did it manually, went in therough explorer and found the folder, installed the new files with the POI loader as usual ...all went well except the Specs speed cam alert 50mph on the M25 by Brentwood was still sounding...miles of bong, bong, bong, ...they haven't been there for months and months....its probably the same on all the others where I get a false alert now after the cameras have been removed when roadwrks finished.
Something is not going right with the installation of the files but can't find what it is. I can see I have to stop driving this part of the M25 or chuck it out the window next time...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the map on here to make sure they have been removed from the database?
Shims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Chacking map Data base Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply so quick
No didn't know you could do that but did update the map as I have lifetime updates not long ago...well after the cameras were removed so i expected the database to have been updated then automatically. (Might have even updated the map a couple of times since cameras have gone)
How do I do this without messing up the map?
Are they in a special folder I can get at using explorer? and if so what do I look for?
thanks
rob
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps have nothing to do with it. The camera alerts will be in your POI folder with a .gpi extension. If you wish to delete them you should be able to do so like any other file using Windows Explorer or the mac equivalent.
Shims
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Mpas and POI Reply with quote

Thanks for that prompt reply will have a look round when I next connect to the computer, think I have a map update reminder as well so will look before I do that.
Thanks again
Best wishes
Rob
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Paul meant when he said
Quote:
Have you checked the map on here to make sure they have been removed from the database?
was just to check that the cameras you are having trouble with, really HAVE been removed from the database, by checking on the submission map on this site.

Click on "Submit speed camera locations now" on the right of this window to go there.

Two other things to check:
1. If you delete all the .gpi files once more and then drive past the problem camera, are you STILL getting alerts?

2. The POILoader will upload anything it finds in the upload folder. Are you sure there are not any old camera files on your PC that you are simply installing again every time?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you turned off the Cyclops (Garmin) cameras?

What exactly is the alert you get for these cameras?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: