Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Average Speed Check
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Average Speed Check
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not even what you said Dennis. Along with Jock's comments it completely reverses the whole point of psyskysman's post which was
Quote:
{snip} just don't go over 50mph and you'll be ok!
and you won't loose much time doing it.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was trying to say is that if the average is 50mph just set your cruise control to 50 and don't go over, but obviously slow down if the traffic flow is under 50mph, then your average speed will be 50mph or under. Simple logic!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK when there is no other traffic, but if you are held up and your average speed is well below 50, then you can speed up to over 50 to get the average speed back up, that is, if you want to provided you have a half accurate average speed calculation. From what Dennis says, this is not true of TT as it seems not to reset the speed as you pass a middle cam.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
That's OK when there is no other traffic, but if you are held up and your average speed is well below 50, then you can speed up to over 50 to get the average speed back up,

You could, but then you'd be breaking the 50 speed limit.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said 'If you want to' Very Happy
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
That's a rather selective quote Jock. Shocked
It was, and I didn't mean to suggest that was how psyskiesman drove! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
It just seems that every time I drive through an average speed section, there are drivers doing exactly that! Given that they must be over the Average Limit for each section, surely that should mean an instant ban? If that was happening regularly, surely it was be splashed all over the "news"papers?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading that the average speed cameras on the M5/M4 roadworks had clocked over 50,000 speeding vehicles over the preceeding 8 months.
chrissuk2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Average Speed Check Reply with quote

Thanks sausage27 for posting the question. I had exactly the same issue this week, Monday one way and Wednesday the other. I thought there was some sort of jamming or TomTom had a glitch, but at least I now know the reason.
Don't want to get into the involved and extended discussion, just thanks for the answer. My mind is at ease. Very Happy
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just Googled it and it was 14,000 between April and September 2012.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always use cruise-control through 50mph m/way roadworks and set it so the TT speed is showing 50mph - the car's speedo is showing about 53. A very large number of drivers will go along at about that speed or just under but then jump on the brakes every time the tall yellow cameras are close by, at which point I change lanes and glide past them. However it is very annoying when they are in front of me and I can't overtake. Also a fair few drivers go very quick in between cameras so their average must be above the limit despite them braking for the cameras. I find it quite sad that so many people don't understand the concept of average speed, especially when a lot of these people are driving newish Audis and BMWs etc - so presumably have well paying jobs! Oh and I have had foreign lorries flashing their lights and getting really close to try and intimidate me into going faster even though I'm in the inside lane and other people are in the middle lane so the lorry can't overtake me.
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Average Speed Check Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
If it is not busy I set the cruise to 50mph according to TomTom (speedo showing 52 or so).
But the amount of cars and lorries that still whizz past amazes me.

Peter
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRCC wrote:
............................. especially when a lot of these people are driving newish Audis and BMWs etc - so presumably have well paying jobs! ...................
Earning lots of money does not mean they are very bright, take the average Premier League football star as an example Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: