Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 3490LMT shuts down on "Find Place" voice co
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 3490LMT shuts down on "Find Place" voice co
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Update after further tests...... Reply with quote

batman wrote:

Then it didn't, then it did, then it didn't.... The command is now working intermittently.

Sometimes it says "Say the name of a place" then reboots.
Sometimes it lets me say the name and then reboots.
Sometimes it actually finds places (yay!).

Thanks for the update. This is exactly the same behaviour as I get with s/w version 7.5, so I guess there is no point in going to 7.6 now.
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update - just updated to software version 7.70, and then did a factory reset.

It worked correctly just once, and now crashes every time immediately after saying "say the name of a place".
bagonzalez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin 3490LMT shuts down on "Find Place" voic Reply with quote

batman wrote:
Hi All,

I've been using a Garmin 3490LMT with Full European coverage for a few months now, and have found it to be generally pretty good.

The Voice Command functionality is excellent - or at least it was.
I applied a mapping update in late November, and ever since then, if I use the "Find Place" voice command the unit shuts down (if on external power, it reboots).

I have been in correspondence with Garmin support, who have told me that this is a known issue which they are trying to resolve (for 3 months?? Confused).

Yesterday I was told that there was an update which would fix the problem.
I applied it, and it made no difference.

What I would like to know is whether anybody else is having this issue with one of these units.

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers!

I have been having the same problem. I say "find place" and it crashes. It did not used to do this. I just updated the firmware, which means they haven't found the problem yet at Garmin. Funny, 'cause they put the bug into it not too long ago.
jrrsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Sorry to bump the topic but this is my first post and I have just purchased a 2495lmt and am having the same issue with 'find place' and thought you might like to hear of my experience so far.

My unit closes down on the voice command 'find place' but only when the device has acquired satellites. In doors it never fails!

I called Garmin support and, as I only have the unit a few days, they advised me to return it for a replacement as they knew nothing about the issue. Amazon are sending me a new one.

For the record, I have version 7.90 and the maps are Europe 2013.41

Thanks.
jrrsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Just an update. Received my replacement 2495lmt from Amazon. 7.20 firmware and 2012 maps out of the box and works perfectly well with voice command 'Find Place'.

Now I don't know whether or not to upgrade the software, the maps or both! If it's not broken .........
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its working as it should I wouldn't bother with the software update. New map is due shortly 2014.10 so wait and update map then
jrrsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
If its working as it should I wouldn't bother with the software update. New map is due shortly 2014.10 so wait and update map then

Thanks for the reply. I will do as you advise as I've been testing the unit most of the day and it works flawlessly. Very Happy

BTW where do you get your news of updated maps?
JohnP2712
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Still exisits Reply with quote

Got a 2595 yesterday and updated it to 2014.10 last night. Same issue every time. The updated firmware from 8.0 to 8.0 (overwrote). Find Place worked once after this then swtiched off again 100%.

Do I have to reload the map again? What will be different to last time?
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make a back-up when you first received your Nuvi? If so, there is a file called GCDupdate.GCD in the hidden system folder of your Nuvi.

If you copied this you can paste it back to your Nuvi (it will overwrite the GCDupdate.file for the current firmware) disconnect the Nuvi and it will ask you if you want to load "older" firmware.

I'd doubt it is something to do with the mapping files and more likely to be the Firmware. A few years ago Garmin released a firmware update which "bricked" every Nuvi that had been updated and had to do a mass replacement. I remember taking mine into Halfords at the time and the guy just handed me a straight replacement (brand new :-) ) with no questions asked, no forms to fill in.

The other option is to try a few sites which "host" some of Garmin's previous firmware releases so you should be able to try a few versions back and see if the issue existed and keep rolling forward until you find the one which "broke" it.

As a general rule, before upgrading, its worth copying the current GCDupdate.gcd (and renaming it to .....ver X.XX before the latest firmware overwrites it so you can easily roll-back if you need to.
JohnP2712
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks. As I overwrote 8.0 I suspect that the file you refer to will contain 8.0 also. So I think that wont help? I have however posted a support issue with Garmin. Will let you know what transpires. Suspect that this forum stands a better chance of resolution though!.

Seems many people have this issue.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Try this link to find previous Garmin firmware releases. 7.90 was released in April so clicking on that month should enable you to download and test that version.

http://gpsinformation.net/allory/new.htm
JohnP2712
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the reply from Garmin

I’m sorry you’re having trouble with your Garmin device and am happy to help. There are two steps to resolving this issue, please follow the instructions below to try to solve your problem.
Firstly, I would suggest that you perform a Master Reset on the device this will however, remove your favourites if you do not back them up:
You can save your favourites by following these steps before you perform a master reset. If you do not wish to save your favourites, skip to step 9. Mac users can start at step 4.
1. Connect your device to the computer.
2. On your computer, click ‘Start’.
3. Click ‘computer’ or ‘my computer’.
4. Open the Garmin drive (Mac Users – this will be located on the desktop).
5. Open the ‘Garmin’ folder.
6. Open the GPX folder.
7. Copy and paste all of the contents of this folder to your desktop.
8. Close all folders.
9. Disconnect your device from your computer.
10. Turn the device off.
11. Press and hold the bottom right hand corner of the screen and press the on/off button. (nuvi 3xx devices will need to touch the top right hand corner of the screen)
12. Continue to hold the bottom right hand corner of the screen until you see a message saying ‘do you really want to erase all user data’.
13. Remove your thumb from the screen and press yes.
14. The device will now begin the reset.
15. Leave the device in full view of the sky for around 30 minutes.
Now this is complete, to reload your favourites on the device simply copy and paste them from the desktop to the GPX folder on the device.
Then I would recommend a Software Update.
To update your unit to the latest software, you need to use the Garmin WebUpdater program. You can install and run WebUpdater any time that you need to update your unit. WebUpdater lets you connect with our server, download, and install the latest updates for your GPS unit.
I have attached a step by step guide to assist you in downloading and using the WebUpdater program.
To download the application and view the installation instructions, please click the link below: http://www.garmin.com/webupdater
1. Plug your unit into the computer via USB cable.
2. Click on Download under step 1.
3. Select the appropriate version of the WebUpdater based on your computer's operating system.
4. Click "I agree to the above terms and want to proceed to the download page"
5. Click Download.
6. Select Run when the pop up box appears.
7. Select Run if a message appears asking "Do you want to run this software?”
8. Click next when the WebUpdater installation page appears.
9. Check the box to accept the licensing terms and select next.
10. Select done to complete the WebUpdater download.
Once WebUpdater is installed on your computer, select the application, if it does not automatically open, to run the program and follow these prompts:
1. Select Next on the WebUpdater Wizard.
2. Select Find Device and Next.
3. Select Next to update the unit software on your device.
4. Follow the prompts to complete the process.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reply. Did it work?
JohnP2712
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid not. Tried just last night.

The backup of Favorites was done, all items in the GPX folder per instruction. I then did the master reset all OK and of course lost my favorities. I then copied the items back into the GPX folder. I still could not see my favoriites. I checked and checked that I had done it all correctly even checking file size etc. but they are gone.

I then updated the software (or more correctly overwrote 8.0). I still have the same problem. A reset after "Voice Command" "Find Place"

I will go back to Garmin on this.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin's advice is wrong Smile

If you simply copy back what you copied then it won't work. This is because your nuvi on boot looks for any .gpx file in the GPX folder EXCEPT current.gpx, merges it into inaccesible memory where it keeps your favourites and then wites it into the GPX folder as current.gpx, which is a one way copy, in otherwords your nuvi doesn't read from current.gpx.

To get your favourites back rename your saved current.gpx as something else, eg temp.gpx and place that in the GPX folder. Now boot your nuvi and your favourites should be back.

Once they are delete temp.gpx from the GPX folder.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: