Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - STATUS: NOT CONNECTED
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: STATUS: NOT CONNECTED Reply with quote

Hadn't used the 1005 for a couple of weeks but when I finally did the LIVE Services wouldn't connect. Not suggesting there is a link here!

Presuming it might just be a temporary issue I left it a few days but still nothing. The network status was: not connected, leaving it to continually poll for a connection.

TomTom Support tried there best to get it going again but no joy. After two weeks (and attempting to charge me 105 euros to fix even though it is less than 12months old) they have replaced with a new (another) unit.

I've read about these sim card faults before but would have hoped later devices would be more reliable !!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you suspect a device fault it is more likely to be:

= a TT server fault, or
= a problem with your local Vodafone mast, or
= a problem with the Vodafone network/TT servers.

Some of these can drag on for days. TT does not seem good at detecting faults in its own servers, and Vodafone takes its time also.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that connection to Live Services has been very flaky over the last few days.

My regular commute is about 80-90 minutes each way. Most days this week, the connection has been lost for part of the journey, though on most trips I have had a connection for some of the journey. This morning it was probably about 50/50.

I've also noticed that, in general, it is worse when there are more traffic incidents to worry about!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 550 Live has been very flaky too this last week or two, getting and losing contact throughout my journeys. It's annoying to have traffic displayed and notifications of delays, then lost contact with no traffic.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a hard reset fixes the issue for me. mine connects and downloads within 1-4 minutes even when there is a lot to download Friday it downloaded approx 1100 incidents no problems
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly due to the steady reduction of the 2G service from most mobile phone companies?
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting. I've just bought a new car with a TomTom built-in sat nav (Mazda 6 with TomTom NB-1). I've updated the maps and added LIVE services and all seemed OK for a few days. Then yesterday, the not-connected icon appeared at the bottom left and the network status screen showed CONNECTING but no IMEI, SIM, etc numbers displayed. Have travelled from Birmingham, to Leeds and to Huddersfield, so it's certainly not a local issue. Also, whilst this was going on, my older standalone 1005 was displaying LIVE info all the way. I remember the SIM issues before (with my 940) and so I'm hoping this isn't a hardware issue. The Mazda garage will look into it for me on Tuesday so hopefully something can be sorted soon.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Possibly due to the steady reduction of the 2G service from most mobile phone companies?

Have TT done anything about this with the new GO models? I've begun to think my next TT will be a Start 60 with an rds-tmc power cable.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the small print for the 'Always connected' devices says 'Subject to availability of telecom network connectivity'. So damn all to do with Tomtom then...
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Have TT done anything about this with the new GO models? I've begun to think my next TT will be a Start 60 with an rds-tmc power cable.

I've been using the Go 1005 since it's launch (I think 2 1/2 years now?) and Live traffic connection reliability has been pretty good. Sure it gets mobile coverage drop out rarely, but it's quick to regain the connection. Before that, I had the Go 940, which used to struggle and now with the Mazda NB1, I'm afraid that seems to have the same issues (I personally think the NB1 and 940/950 are based on pretty much the same hardware/software combo.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit was 100% faulty. They also tried to restart the SIM through the VODAFONE network but this failed too.

The next problem is with TTs replacement procedure which gives the customer a "re-manufactured" unit rather a new one. TT insist these units are not second hand and tarted up but when I asked what's the difference between "re-manufactured" and "re-furbished" they could not answer!

Maybe re-manufactured units failed quality control and have since been fixed???

Anyway the unit I received had a small scratch on the screen and the metal cover on the back had two small dents. Although pleased I had a working unit back I wasn't willing to accept this so sent it back. I've received another email today another unit is on its way so fingers crossed this one is in good order.

By the time this one gets back to me that will have been nearly five weeks without my unit. TT service truly is appalling!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Mike!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map of EE [Orange + T-mobile] for my area showed 2G, 3G, and 4G coverage for my area until a few days ago when it switched to just 4G......

Edit: then there is this. They think that 3G will cover for 2G whilst it is upgraded!! Possibly I could be more optimistic about the future of 2G if it were not for the worry that it could be converted to 4G at short notice.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Possibly I could be more optimistic about the future of 2G if it were not for the worry that it could be converted to 4G at short notice.

The cynic in me ponders that a cell company with a coverage target and a deadline may find it easy to convert 2G to 4G to meet target, and gain the acclaim for advancement, while ignoring the people who find no signal any more and who can't complain because their old phone no longer works. Heck, it would be a good time for an upsell to 3G too!

[edit] This is why I'll be waiting for assurance that the SIM-included x000 series can also use bluetooth if we want. If not, I'll skip this generation too. And by the time they deliver what I want, my phone will do it all anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: