Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2595 LMT. Right for me?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2595 LMT. Right for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Easycampers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: 2595 LMT. Right for me? Reply with quote

I have a 775 , just got new PC and have lost 2011 map source disc. Don't want to spend a fortune as retired. Have been using garmin since 2000 and I plan my long campervan trips on PC using mapsource and upload to device as I like going my routes, not the automatic ones.... ( can't get my head around base camp)

The 2595 looks ok? But my question is:

When I get it and update maps will I end up with set of maps on Pc to plan journeys as I am used to this....thanks in advance!Laughing Out Loud

Happy for other recommendations for device...I don't need all the bells and whistles I guess but full Europe mapping a must. Motive they don't have audio out anymore that a backward step IMO as if on long euro trip FM reception not reliable.....
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you update your maps, then yes as you have an option to download to PC and device. Note that Mapsource and the newer nuvis don't work well together. If I were you I'd try to pick up one of the just discontinued 14xx series as they were the last to use the old style 'routes' that you'll be used to and also work happily with Mapsource. The other advantage is that they are quite cheap at the moment Wink

The newer nuvis use a feature called 'trip planner', and many don't like it. If you want any further info come back here and I'll give you more detail.

Incidentally if your old PC is up and running still it's quite easy to transfer the map files across, again if you want to know how let me know.
Easycampers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Incidentally if your old PC is up and running still it's quite easy to transfer the map files across, again if you want to know how let me know"

Oh wow! really? that would be great as I did want to get another year out of the 775 if possible

can you recommend a 14XX model please, I like the idea of a 5 inch screen...

Thanks a bunch! Eddie Smile
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download GMTK from here onto both PCs

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

Run GMTK on your old PC. Select the maps you want to transfer and hit Backup, save the files onto a memory stick or sd card.

Plug the stick/card into the new PC, run GMTK and select Restore, choose the file from the stick/card.

Run Mapsource on the new PC and all should be good. Shout if you have any problems.

I have the 1490 but the best offer at the mo is on the 1440, £79.90 at Halfords with EU mapping:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_811451_langId_-1_categoryId_247401
Easycampers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

The program fore shifting maps says this:

"To administer the maps on your Windows PC, JaVaWa GMTK needs administrator privileges; Windows will ask for a password when necessary to run the application as administrator. Even if your user profile has administrator privileges in Vista or Windows 7, you will get a User Account Control dialog (unless you disabled User Account Control)"

I mean is this safe? and why is it necessary..please bear in mind I am completely non techy.

the 1400 looks a bit basic and wife would want traffic for work

EDIT: while the 1440 is a T (sorry about that) and according to a youtube vid looks the same operation as my 775 so no learning curve..it does not have free map updates.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's safe. I frequent a number of similar sites to this and no reports of any problems. I've also used it many times and had no problem.

As for traffic and lifetime maps, the one I quoted does have traffic as you discovered. You can add lifetime maps to any Garmin GPS for around £50 should you want them.
Easycampers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks..Had a thought...and I will try and do this from my laptop which has the Europe NT maps installed

EDIT:

OK copied NT map folder from laptop to USB stick. plugged into new PC fileses are there but when I try to select drive and folder i get a "no folder with the name GMTKbackup found on disk" do I change the name of folder ??
Easycampers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing the name did not work
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just copy the file folder. You need to use GMTK to create a back up and then use GMTK on the new PC to restore the maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: